Team-BHP - help! car won't start
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   help! car won't start (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/21254-help-car-wont-start.html)

well, i have experienced it earlier frequently. When i stop after a long drive and try to start again within 5 mins, car won't start. i had to try after half an hour with full throttle and it worked.

I changed the battery after having this problem two months back, and today again had the same problem. in fact, after a few tries, nothing moved at all, the lights on dash went out indicating motor was going to kick off, and that's it. thankfully i had stopped near out aptt office, and we just walked to our aptt.

the only thing noticeable is temperature was around -10C.

I want back after 1.5 hrs and started it without a problem. I have heard of something like vapor condensation in the engine causing this type of problem, can somebody suggest what should i do to avoid it, and possible fixes on the car.

and yes, i am going to get my battery charging system checked tomorrow.

1) Does your engine crank without starting?
Problem could be a defective starting coil/ vapour lock in the fuel system
2) If it does not crank at all, it could be a defective battery or even a defective starter motor. My friend had a similar problem in his Accent CRDI and it was finally pinned down to a defective starter motor. Why it gets affected by the heat, beats me though!

While your at it get your alternator/rectifier plate checked.

the vanilla icecream problem?:D

Its definetly not the ignition coil..
Visit your local mechanic...check coolant,injectors..etc

first hope u have the right grade Oil in the block for winter (overlooked many times).
if ur car gives error codes have them checked with ur manual.
check the cold start valve also known as Thermo switch on Water Pump (this is ur choke for fuel injected car)
check coolant temp sensor
also check intake manifold gasket as there could be some vaccum leak

great, now i have some pointers.

my batttery is new and I changed oil (and topped coolant) 2 weeks back. it was same temperature then so they must have used the correct grade for winter. It's an overall cold area anyway.

it cranked first 2-3 times and then it just went dead. i forgot to verify from front but now i remember my headlight was on with full intensity. also it started later, so it's not the battery (or charging system) i guess.

I will have to take it to the mechanic anyway, but i am afraid they may not get the problem unless i reproduce it....and it has been very random.

yes jkdas, i do remember the vanilla icecream problem. :confused: but not the solution

Happened on our diesel Indica also. The problem was traced to carbon build up in the starter motor and was rectified by cleaning the insides.

Don't forget to check the solenoid switch also.

After all, which is your car ?

ok, will do.

it's a 2002 mitsubishi galant.

Ok,

coolant system was bad, replaced hoses, refilled the coolant. problem still there.

did some research, and it definitely looks like the starter solenoid/starter itself. But i have a strong suspicion my car is missing the heat shielding, since galant's don't have any reported problem like this.

Problem here is labour starts at 100$, and the shops straight away tell me to replace the starter (350-500 $). Since it starts fine on a cold start, I believe the starter is not THAT bad. and worst, what if it still doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas on a DIY for heat shielding? remote Solenoid is a popular option on net, but will need tools and expertise i don't have. Plus i heard if done wrong, it can blow fuses, fans etc.

and lastly, does anybody have any diagrams that may help me understand the DIY solutions if any? will try to post the pics from under the hood soon.