Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2019, 09:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
How much old/young is your car and how many kilometers have you covered till now? It all depends on the usage too in my opinion, not just the age.
My car is just a few months old. Ran about 5000 KMs. I agree. I'm just hoping it'll not wear out very soon. The leather steering cover on my Civic lasted all of 9 years.
Old 31st August 2019, 10:00   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
My car is just a few months old. Ran about 5000 KMs. I agree. I'm just hoping it'll not wear out very soon. The leather steering cover on my Civic lasted all of 9 years.
Wow! Nice to hear that you own a Civic, such a dream car. But what we need to notice is, civic has a 9 year old genuine leather and Baleno has a ‘who uses a steering wheel cover more than 4 years’ kind of genuine leather. It can be seen in almost all products, the use and through mentality of our market has definitely made the manufacturers to make less reliable products.
Old 31st August 2019, 13:15   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
My car has run around 54k kms in 3 years. I had noticed minor scratches / peeling of steering wrap and had posted the same here.

My 6 year old / 88k kms run Grand I10 has no peeling whatsoever. Also I don't think it's genuine leather in S-Cross.
If it's of any consolation Dr.Naren, the exact same thing happened to my i10 factory leather steering in it's 6th year...
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 19:53   #34
BHPian

The pics shows great damage in just 54000 kms and 3 years.

You should get it replaced soon as it seems it might pinch the palm as well while turning the steering.

The following link is great learning experience for wrapping the leather around the steering.

Even if one doesn't do it himself, he can make sure that the other person is doing it properly.

I have attached some pictures of my 2013 vent after approx 129000 kms. Signs of gradual wear are there. But not a sore eye though.

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20190831_191047.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20190831_191104.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20190831_191208.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20190831_191138.jpg
gaurav.kokra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Few More Pics:

Attachment 1910966

Attachment 1910967

Do note that all the pics I have posted are from different cars. Maruti provides leather steering in many cars and I wonder how only S-Cross is affected. I did a quick search in Baleno groups, couldn't find this issue. I own a Baleno too which doesn't have this issue. Leather wrap on S-Cross feels thin and looks shiny compared to Baleno.
My Scross has done 71k. Got a premium version of autoform steering. It is holding up very well. Minor chipping has started on the gear lever.

Also attaching the pics of my 94k done Xuv. I believe Indian car makers also provide decent quality. My Manza held out alright for about 125k KMS. These wear and rear issues cropped up very late.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20190826_082039.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2019, 05:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
I recently met an employee working for one of the part/component suppliers of Maruti. He shared that Maruti has been giving an yearly target of 2% price reduction to all part suppliers for all parts that are supplied to Maruti and that too after a very competitive bidding between the suppliers.
From what I know, this is an industry standard practice, and this happens with most mature auto manufacturers. Not sure why maruti is being singled out and shamed for this. This is supposed to be a consequence of the continuous improvement philosophy which delivers productivity improvements and defect reduction with time.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:38   #37
BHPian

Man, the quality of the steering wheel wrap is absolutely pathetic and downright unacceptable.

If a manufactures say something is Genuine Leather then it should be genuine, and not the cheap PU stuff. Also how can Maruti skimp on something that will face the most wear and tear amongst all the interior bits.
Old 23rd September 2019, 17:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
From what I know, this is an industry standard practice, and this happens with most mature auto manufacturers. Not sure why maruti is being singled out and shamed for this. This is supposed to be a consequence of the continuous improvement philosophy which delivers productivity improvements and defect reduction with time.
That was just an example to show how Maruti operates. I should have added it in my earlier post that the same person who shared this detail with me also said that Kia for example has provided them with much better price brackets for manufacturing components for them. This was all verbal communication so can be considered or discarded as per individual preference.

Furthermore, Maruti is the flag-bearer of using extremely thin metal sheets for the doors, etc and cutting down on production costs to very high levels. Other manufacturers following suit is a result of Maruti exemplifying this practice via their sales charts.

This thread is another testament to Maruti's approach on building cars for India:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...r-failure.html (Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...tatements.html

This is just my opinion and I respect other opinions as well. Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2019 at 08:06. Reason: Edited on request.
Old 26th September 2019, 00:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think the dealer equipped steering wheel cover holds well. It's the variant version that's the problem.
Old 28th September 2019, 17:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Approximately 2 years and heavy usage on the steering wheel. Nothing Amiss, nor quality issues for the steering at least

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img_20190925_175050.jpg

I guess almost all the issues would have cropped up due to the "heavy detailing" with god knows what chemicals. Why blame Maruti for that! My cars never see a 3M or such fancy outlets!!

I would not blame Maruti here!!

Last edited by laluks : 28th September 2019 at 17:38.
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 13:13   #41
BHPian

While on the S-cross, it's still understandable because the leather is peeling at places where you actually hold the steering wheel, but on my mercedes W204 C200, that's run only 20K Kms, the paint is peeling off at places where you don't even hold the steering wheel!

It is also peeling off at various other places on the dashboard and center console. I have never even used any chemicals for detailing, ever!

Would really appreciate suggestions, as it is a huge eyesore, and makes my car look wretched!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20191026_123620.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20191026_123641.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-20191026_123607.jpg  

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 06:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
It is also peeling off at various other places on the dashboard and center console. I have never even used any chemicals for detailing, ever!
This is appalling. The steering wheel cover on my Honda Civic got worn out after 11 years and 1.85 lakh kms in service so seeing this quality in a Merc is surprising.

Any dash polish or cleaners being used by your car cleaning guys?

Did you talk to the people at Mercedes? I couldn't find people with the same issue on the forum.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 08:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
This is appalling. The steering wheel cover on my Honda Civic got worn out after 11 years and 1.85 lakh kms in service so seeing this quality in a Merc is surprising.

Any dash polish or cleaners being used by your car cleaning guys?

Did you talk to the people at Mercedes? I couldn't find people with the same issue on the forum.

No, I have NEVER used any chemicals at all. My car does not even stay parked in the sun- it is parked inside it's garage 100% of the time! When I spoke to the Merc guys, all they said was replace the steering wheel( including the airbag), which is very expensive. It is indeed surprising to see such quality issues in a Merc. For now I have ordered a black viny to wrap the steering wheel and the centre console. Here is a link to a discussion about the same issue at the MB forum. Even the steering wheel type in question is the same as the one on my car:

https://mbworld.org/forums/detailing...l-peeling.html

The Honda civic has great interior quality. I recently sat in a 2007 civic with close to 2 lakh km on the odo, and yet everything looked good, except for the chipped Honda logo on the steering wheel and a little bit of wear on the driver's seat.

Regards
Sanidhya

EDIT:
So the vinyl I ordered is not sticking on the steering wheel or the centre console, because the surface is essentially peeling paint.

Last edited by ajmat : 27th October 2019 at 20:51.
Old 27th October 2019, 18:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
The Honda civic has great interior quality. I recently sat in a 2007 civic with close to 2 lakh km on the odo, and yet everything looked good, except for the chipped Honda logo on the steering wheel and a little bit of wear on the driver's seat.

Regards
Sanidhya
It's pretty depressing to read about such quality issues when you've already paid a bomb for the car. The Civic was in a league of it's own, and I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that there wasn't any localisation. It's been almost 13 years and the rubber beading of the doors is intact, I've only changed one brake bulb and one indicator bulb in all these years of ownership. The Honda City doesn't have that kind of quality. It's actually scary to see global cars having a high localisation percentage which only means quality has taken a hit.

Last edited by coolkurt : 27th October 2019 at 18:39.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a custom leather wrap done on steering. It looks better and feels nice and grippy to hold compared to OE.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img_20201030_203440.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks