Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 20:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!

My car has run around 54k kms in 3 years. I had noticed minor scratches / peeling of steering wrap and had posted the same here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...420-nm-39.html

This was around 1 month back and the condition is worse now.

I asked fellow S-Cross owners and many had this issue. Posting few pics of very bad cases.

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190827wa0039.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190821wa0131.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190827wa0057.jpg

Maruti is least bothered and says it's wear and tear. It's high time Maruti learns few good things from Hyundai . My 6 year old / 88k kms run Grand I10 has no peeling whatsoever. Also I don't think it's genuine leather in S-Cross.

The only option from Maruti is to replace the entire steering wheel paying from our pocket and I think that will cost around 7-8k. Affected owners are getting custom leather wrap which works out cheaper than replacing the steering wheel
Dr.Naren is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 10:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!

That's strange. The wear pattern is usually in the area where the steering is held. The pictures here seem to show random wear all over the circumference.

Does this have anything to do with any solvent being used to clean the interiors, including the steering wheel?
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 11:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
My car has run around 54k kms in 3 years. I had noticed minor scratches / peeling of steering wrap and had posted the same here.
This isn't genuine leather; looks like PU given the way it is peeling off.

PU leather gives the exact look and feel of genuine leather but starts disintegrating like this in approx 2 years - I've seen this happening with shoes and seats.

My recommendation to you is to get the steering wheel cover redone to original fit - there are at least 2 places in Bengaluru in our directory where this can be done.
vigsom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 11:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That's strange. The wear pattern is usually in the area where the steering is held. The pictures here seem to show random wear all over the circumference.
Most of them did have initial wear at the areas where steering is held, later it got spread. The wrap material used to come off like paper.

Quote:
Does this have anything to do with any solvent being used to clean the interiors, including the steering wheel?
Don't think so as multiple cars after 2-3 years of usage are affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
My recommendation to you is to get the steering wheel cover redone to original fit - there are at least 2 places in Bengaluru in our directory where this can be done.
Yes, planning to do the same

Two more S-Cross owners sent me pics today.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190828wa0004.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190828wa0006.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Having used after-market steering grips on different cars, this kind of wear is normal for artificial leather grips. Upper layer gets peeled off more if car is parked in direct sunlight.

Better option is to get redone with genuine leather, Devraj/Nagraj is a tried & tested choice for many BLR BHPians.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

My car also had the same issue around the 2 year mark. It looks so irritating on a "premium" car.

I have put a leather steering cover on top of this, which costed around 1100 Rs and it is holding up well for over an year now.

The premium leather is oh not so premium.
arvind71181 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 12:22   #7
BHPian

This is PU for sure. Actual leather will not peel off as such, at least not in such a short time.

I fitted my steering leather in Konark's located in East End road. Bengaluru more than ten years back. It is still as good as new. Leather shines more and more with usage.

A test for you. When you remove the existing one, burn it. PU will burn, leather won't. Beside the distinct smell.
fordday is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 14:42   #8
BHPian

I recently met an employee working for one of the part/component suppliers of Maruti. He shared that Maruti has been giving an yearly target of 2% price reduction to all part suppliers for all parts that are supplied to Maruti and that too after a very competitive bidding between the suppliers.

It seems as a result of this practice various parts of Maruti cars wear out right after the warranty period is over and sometimes before that as well. Furthermore, this practice has also infected other car manufacturers in India such as Hyundai who have also started cutting costs (at the cost of reduced quality) from a few years now and ultimately most of the market is moving in the same direction.
iron.head is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 15:34   #9
BHPian

Seems like other manufacturers are also putting poor quality PU leather. My Hyundai i10 steering whell (10 years old) has also started peeling just like in the pictures but not so bad as what the S-cross steering wheels look like.
motorguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 15:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen the PU leather getting peeled off in many cars. But, in case of S-Cross..many are affected in just 2-3 years which is surely because of poor quality material. As I said before, My Grand I10 doesn't have this issue even after 6 years.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 18:49   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!

Few More Pics:

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190828wa0033.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img20190827wa0078.jpg

Do note that all the pics I have posted are from different cars. Maruti provides leather steering in many cars and I wonder how only S-Cross is affected. I did a quick search in Baleno groups, couldn't find this issue. I own a Baleno too which doesn't have this issue. Leather wrap on S-Cross feels thin and looks shiny compared to Baleno.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th August 2019 at 22:12. Reason: as requested
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 21:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

Do note that all the pics I have posted are from different cars. Maruti provides leather steering in many cars and I wonder how only S-Cross is affected. I did a quick search in Baleno and Brezza groups, couldn't find this issue. I own a Baleno too which doesn't have this issue. Leather wrap on S-Cross feels thin and looks shiny compared to Baleno.
Is the Brezza being offered with a leather wrapped steering now? I guess it is not, at least when I bought it. I'm actually glad it's not offered with one looking at the quality the stock wrap carries, I got a better one done locally.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 21:31   #13
BHPian

The steering wrap in the S-Cross gets damaged easily. Mine started with a small chip, which eventually got worse. And this was the most expensive car from Maruti, at that time. IMO, they should've used the steering coming in the new XL6 or Swift, or something similar, instead.

Seizing the opportunity, I upgraded the steering leather in my S-Cross

Maruti S-Cross : Poor quality leather wrapped steering!-img_20190827_210808.jpg

More details have been mentioned in the following thread :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4646553 (Pandamonium : My modified S-Cross 1.6)
grease.monkey is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 21:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease.monkey View Post

Seizing the opportunity, I upgraded the steering leather in my S-Cross
I'd say chipping in your case turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Awesome work done. Congratulations!
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 23:16   #15
BHPian

Did Maruti advertise it as Leather Wrapped steering in its brochures? If that's the case, then it is clear cheating by providing PU wrapped steering.

Most Viewed