Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 16:23   #16
BHPian

guys after much seaching and reading you replies that its not possible but even if it is possible its not much gain i even read that greddy have tried this out but there was not much gain.
Old 16th February 2007, 21:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

I tend to agree with your views. Any mechanical alterations/additions must be backed by a working viable logic and also be cost effective.

In this context I would like to ask as to why do we all assume that the manufacturer has short changed us and things could have been better. Yes, it could have been better but then the cost would have increased. The ideas propounded here if implementable then I am sure the manufacturer would have done that.

These modifications require a fully knowledgable garage at your disposal and also the availability of the components to execute. Most custom built mods are one off jobs and are commercially not viable.

It is quite possible that my views may not be acceptable here but I would be interested to know the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
Hi,

I intended not to discourage anyone. It's just that I have two turbocharged vehicles and done so much research on turbochargers and I have given my opinion.

A turbocharger is a finely balanced equipment and fitting of additional motors etc would also involve additional wiring,plumbing,balancing the whole system etc. A small change in balance in turbocharger can create lot of vibration and destroy it.

I have worked 7 years in mechanical and aerospace industries and firmly beleive that any mechanical innovation must be backed by strong mechanical logic and one must never ignore basics in quest of innovation.
Old 16th February 2007, 23:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
I have one more idea though, which is similar to Nitrous Injection. To have a high pressure air tank, with a air compressor running off the engine. Once sufficient pressure is built up in the tank, one allows this high pressure air into the intake manifold of the car, eventually inside the cylinder . This pressure would provide significant boost in power, though for a couple of seconds only (10-15 secs), similar to Nitrous Injection, but you need not pay a hefty price for the nitrous refill. Just use the car normally until the air pressure builds up again and you're back in action.

Has anybody given it a thought? its technically possible isn't it? The compressor will sap power though.
That's what a supercharger does; it's a compressor run off the engine to cram in more air into the cylinder. There's no need to store the air in a tank.

Nitrous principle is different, NO2 under high temp breaks down into N and O2. N provides a cooling effect to the engine and 2 molecules of O provides extra oxygen. Extra O is what gives the power boost.

Air in a tank doesn't give the result of nitrous, theoritically it should give the supercharging effect and for that tank is redundant.
Old 17th February 2007, 00:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I have one more idea though, which is similar to Nitrous Injection. To have a high pressure air tank, with a air compressor running off the engine. Once sufficient pressure is built up in the tank, one allows this high pressure air into the intake manifold of the car, eventually inside the cylinder . This pressure would provide significant boost in power, though for a couple of seconds only (10-15 secs), similar to Nitrous Injection, but you need not pay a hefty price for the nitrous refill. Just use the car normally until the air pressure builds up again and you're back in action.

Has anybody given it a thought? its technically possible isn't it? The compressor will sap power though.
A similar tech is used in wrc and formula 1 see this
Anti-Lag System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 17th February 2007, 00:36   #20
IMP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That's what a supercharger does; it's a compressor run off the engine to cram in more air into the cylinder. There's no need to store the air in a tank.
Silly me... Knew that too, but didn't think of it while i put up the air tank thing. But hey... what do you reckon, what will be easier to put as an addon/modification to an engine? the supercharger or the tank?
Old 18th February 2007, 07:07   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
A similar tech is used in wrc and formula 1 see this
Anti-Lag System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some TBHP discusion on the ALS can be found here > WRC Cars

cya
R
Old 7th March 2007, 11:36   #22
BHPian

came across this it fascinated me so would like to hear you thoughts on this Electric Superchargers from Shoreline Technologies, the only quality Supercharger on the net! they claim 30hp boost when we want only and they claim no engine damage of any sort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks