Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 20:55   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI - Black smoke under hard acceleration

I am also facing similar issue in my Linea Diesel at 41000 Kms. This happens as I am nearing the next service at 45000 kms. I faced this before 30000 kms and the 30k regular service resolved it. I suspect clogged air filter.

Is 15000 Kms interval for air filter change a overkill in our city conditions? I don't see any much impact on the fuel economy. Just after regular service I get better mileage figures on the same stretch of road in the same traffic conditions.

It feels good to smoke with a bit of hard acceleration but I feel bad Infront of the petrol car owners driving behind me who are doing their fair bit for the environment. Also, I am worried if the cars health is deteriorating silently because of this.

Last edited by bharatbits : 5th September 2019 at 21:02.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A common cause is a clogged air filter, incase you are getting this checked - get the MAF sensor cleaned as well. I remember an incident where some idiot had plugged the inlet with cotton waste during washing and has forgotten to remove it afterwards.

Considering the age of the car, it could be the vacuum modulator for the EGR \ one of the rubber hoses connected to it as well. Black smoke means un-burnt fuel , performance impact is possible.

It is NOT normal for modern diesel engines to emit smoke even if you floor it, there will be something wrong with it.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:13   #18
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Well, I’ve had two Ventos. One sold at 53,000 and the current one running 73,000. Both 1.6 TDi and both don’t smoke.

The earlier one was remapped. Still didn’t smoke.
Mine doesn't smoke as well under normal sane driving. Kick down in second gear, or accelerate with a heavy foot, it does smoke. Mine is neither remapped nor did I allow the dieselgate fix to be performed.

My car has no performance issues whatsoever, sane driving returns 16 kmpl in the city and 21 on the highway.

I am not sure if this is something to be worried as I have experienced the same behaviour in the other three cars with 1.6 TDi that I've mentioned in my previous post. The Vento, among the three is a very close friend's car and has done 130K kms, with no engine issue. I guess we are just getting paranoid.

The smoke under hard acceleration, goes unnoticed by the driver. If you want to see the actual state of affairs, you might want to tail your car and ask some one else to accelerate heavily in second gear. It might be more visible in the GT owing to the shorter length of the car and the tail pipe is almost at the end of the car, making the smoke rise up immediately after it is emitted. Also in the 1.6TDi, the exhaust tip faces the ground making it all the more difficult for the driver to realize.

I also experience the same behavior in my Punto 1.3 MjD.

Last edited by NTO : 6th September 2019 at 11:17.
Old 6th September 2019, 14:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Mine doesn't smoke as well under normal sane driving. Kick down in second gear, or accelerate with a heavy foot, it does smoke.
The smoke under hard acceleration, goes unnoticed by the driver. If you want to see the actual state of affairs, you might want to tail your car and ask some one else to accelerate heavily in second gear. .
Trust me, one of my hobbies very closely relates to closely noticing, figuring out and if possible, make vehicles perform better without smoking.

While 1.6 TDi’s are seen smoking, what I’m trying to say is everything being good, it shouldn’t smoke.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 15:05   #20
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It is NOT normal for modern diesel engines to emit smoke even if you floor it, there will be something wrong with it.
I may be wrong but, as far as I know the 1.6 TDi is not a modern engine. It is out of production for the last 4 or may be 5 years. To say the least, I have seen my Friend's S 320 CDi chug out black smoke when kicked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Trust me, one of my hobbies very closely relates to closely noticing, figuring out and if possible, make vehicles perform better without smoking.
While 1.6 TDi’s are seen smoking, what I’m trying to say is everything being good, it shouldn’t smoke.
I agree to disagree sir. But, I will definitely see if something is wrong from the almost fool proof checklist that we've got from our fellow BHPians in the previous posts.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
...Lately I have noticed that under heavy acceleration in second gear the car is belching out considerable amount of black smoke...
Does the smoke appear every time you accelerate or sometimes when you accelerate hard?

If only sometimes, it is likely just the EGR getting rid of the soot. It is perfectly normal.

If the smoke appears every time then first thing to do is to check the engine oil levels. If too much is filled in, it starts burning with the fuel and gives black smoke. In too much oil, you need to:
  1. Empty and refill engine oil to correct capacity.
  2. Clean oil filter
  3. Clean EGR
  4. Clean intercooler
  5. Clean fuel injector

Quote:
...Also the abs light has come on...
When did you last change your battery? Can you check the output voltage? Sometimes the voltage is low enough to mess up the sensors but not enough to not crank properly.
Old 10th September 2019, 09:17   #22
BHPian

So I took the car to an independent workshop. The drive there from my home is about 20 kms. I reached there and told them about the smoking issue. As is the case with most car niggles, it failed to show up when I am actually at the workshop. The car was put in neutral and revved to the redline several times and no black smoke whatsoever.

A scanning showed front left abs sensor to be at fault. Last time one of these sensors conked off it was right rear and the time before that it was right front. So that's at least a relief knowing that I am not constantly replacing the ones I already changed.

Got the car back today, bill came to 19500/-, 14000 for 45000km service, 3000 for denting and painting, 2500 for the abs sensor. Couldnt check for smoke again as it was dark when I took the car. Curious thing is when I asked the mechanic about the smoking issue he said he found water in the exhaust pipes and maybe thats the culprit. I dont even know what to say to that.
nakul0888 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 09:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I took the car to an independent workshop. The drive there from my home is about 20 kms. I reached there and told them about the smoking issue. As is the case with most car niggles, it failed to show up when I am actually at the workshop. The car was put in neutral and revved to the redline several times and no black smoke whatsoever.
Revving in neutral most of the times will not show black smoke unless something is wrong or clogged, since the engine is not under load.

When the car is in gear and driven is when visible smoke can be seen.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 11:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
So I took the car to an independent workshop. The drive there from my home is about 20 kms. I reached there and told them about the smoking issue. As is the case with most car niggles, it failed to show up when I am actually at the workshop. The car was put in neutral and revved to the redline several times and no black smoke whatsoever
I think you should just use a good fuel injector cleaner and drive at higher rpm and all should be good.At best get the EGR cleaned. Besides this do not go on experimenting or else i fear you will end up doing more harm then good to a proper functioning car.

In all my experience i have seen just about all brands right from cheapest to most expensive smoke on hard acceleration.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 20:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

I was having the same issue in my Hyundai Creta 1.6 CRDi after it had completed 50k kms.

I got the EGR valve cleaned thoroughly and the smoke has reduced considerably. While putting the foot down the smoke hasnt disappeared but has certainly reduced to a great extent.
Old 29th September 2019, 20:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
So here is the thing, black smoke can be because of a number of reasons, such as a clogged air filter, poor quality of fuel, etc. The most likely suspect is a dirty EGR valve. You should visit a competent FNG, or such, and get the turbo plumbing and EGR valve cleaned out. I find that if you don't idle the car for a minute after a drive, the EGR gets dirty pretty quickly.
Good advice. Rule these out one by one (and also check your diesel fuel filter, that needs replacement every 40k km). Start with checking and replacing the filters, and ensuring your engine oil is properly changed when needed, before you start to suspect turbo or EGR or engine compression issues.
Old 29th September 2019, 21:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Good advice. Rule these out one by one (and also check your diesel fuel filter, that needs replacement every 40k km). Start with checking and replacing the filters, and ensuring your engine oil is properly changed when needed, before you start to suspect turbo or EGR or engine compression issues.

Doesnt the diesel fuel filter need to be replaced at every 20k kms instead of 40k kms?
Old 29th September 2019, 21:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Doesnt the diesel fuel filter need to be replaced at every 20k kms instead of 40k kms?
Ah yes. 15k / 1 year for the gt tdi. The petrol one needs changing every 30k / 2 years.

Rather a short change interval compared to other cars, funny.
Old 30th September 2019, 01:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Ah yes. 15k / 1 year for the gt tdi. The petrol one needs changing every 30k / 2 years.

Rather a short change interval compared to other cars, funny.
Probably just for preventive maintenance.With our fuel quality and other conditions it would definitely be better to get it changed at whatever period interval the manual book says.
Old 30th September 2019, 13:42   #30

You should try ceratec (link below) .... makes a HUGE difference in engine noise reduction and improves performance under load.

Also revving in neutral is not same as under on road acceleration. The torque does not have to drive anything on neutral. Often when the engine is working hard against a high load (like severe acceleration) , and the rpms are too fast , there is incomplete combustion of the diesel fuel. And you get a greyish smoke.

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-200.../dp/B001CZODH8

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks