Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 20:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Issue with OHC

A friend of mine has a OHC 1.3, 1999 model done around 65k kms. Offlate the car vibrates a lot at idiling, when the AC is switched on and the RPM falls below 600 mark.

The car was serviced outside Sundaram Honda. They could not zero in the problem and took the help of Sundaram Honda to find out the actual issues (seems Sundaram has some advance test equipments). Sundaram Honda cited AC compressor has some faults and it needs replacement.

We were not sure whether that was the actual problem, hence we suggested to swap the compressor of another OHC to check this out. Upon swapping we found that vibration still exists. Hence the problem is not with the ac compressor.

Later found that engine compression reading shows only 120-130. Mechanics say it should be in the range of 170-180. Cross verified with 1.5 and found it to be in the range of 170-180.

Will the engine compression ration will be same for both 1.3 and 1.5?

Mechanics added that they need to open up the head to locate the acutal problem.

Any idea what could be the problem?
Old 14th February 2007, 20:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
A friend of mine has a OHC 1.3, 1999 model done around 65k kms. Offlate the car vibrates a lot at idiling, when the AC is switched on and the RPM falls below 600 mark.
My guess is that one of engine mountings is broken. I had the same problem in my car & it turned out to be a broken mounting causing the vibration. Does the vibration increase markedly when the AC is switched on?

Also has the car been involved in any shunts which have been repaired at or outside of an Authorised Honda dealer?
Old 14th February 2007, 21:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

The vibration could be due to faulty bushes, bedding, mountings etc...Without proper diagnosis its hard to locate.

However its shocking to know that the cylinder compression is around 120-130psi!!! Yes it is expected to be around 170-180+ at sea level. Looks like the rings need a change bro. Have you noticed any significant drop in low end power / FE?? If yes, the rings definitely need a change if you are just lucky or else it could be just the beginning!!!
Old 15th February 2007, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Does the vibration increase markedly when the AC is switched on?

Also has the car been involved in any shunts which have been repaired at or outside of an Authorised Honda dealer?
Yes, Vibration is more when the A/c is switched on.

We bought this car second hand before 3 yrs. Hence no idea whether it happened before we bought this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Have you noticed any significant drop in low end power / FE?? If yes, the rings definitely need a change if you are just lucky or else it could be just the beginning!!!
Yes, drop in both FE and low end power.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Get the rear gasket seals checked. This area is near the engine firewall.
Sometimes you leak oil from there and the problem appears much bigger than it actually is.
These seals are cheap to replace.
Old 15th February 2007, 14:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Get the rear gasket seals checked. This area is near the engine firewall.
Sometimes you leak oil from there and the problem appears much bigger than it actually is.
These seals are cheap to replace.
tsk, Mechanic has strong suspicion on gasket. will get the status this evening.
Old 15th February 2007, 14:50   #7
BHPian

When was last you changed spark plugs? Checked wire harness too
Old 17th February 2007, 11:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Viper, excuse me for lifting your pic from one of your post.

Mechanic has opened the head. They say piston sleeve has got damaged i.e at the top end of the sleeve there is a slight protrusion (different in surface when you run your finger through at the top end).

We checked with them is there a way out to make the surface even & they ruled out the option saying that it will result in sleeve getting broke. Their proposal is to send it to local workshop & insert that inner steel part alone afresh. Approximate cost quoted was Rs.25k

They suspect the car would have done atleast 1.5 L kms plus without proper maintenance. My friend was really upset over this as this car has been maintained regulary at their workshop right from the purchase date (3 yrs before as 2nd hand car).

PS: I tried my best to put down what was told to us. If its not clear, please excuse

Last edited by Surprise : 17th February 2007 at 11:09.
Old 17th February 2007, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

hi Surprrise,
It may sound stupid(may be totally stupid), but I had almost similar problem with my carb Zen after servicing.. The car used to vibrate a lot while idling with AC on..I just tried my luck by adjusting the AC idling knob (it's not the normal idling knob) and voila, vibrations are just gone..those guys at the sevice station has set it to minimum to increase mileage I guess.. But mine is a carb engine so I'm not sure how much help this can be to OHC..
Regards,
Kaushik

Most Viewed