Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 13:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Interesting that you have the patience. Lot of stuff to read for when you retire eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Just wondering, why u do that ?
Why I do that? Well I enjoy looking at logs from a couple of years back and see when I went on an unusual trip or a long drive, or took my car for its second service, etc.

I also keep a note of odo reading, litres of fuel and amount at each refuel. And every time I look at records from five years back, I get a heart attack. It was so much cheaper then. Not only that, then I drove an 800, (16+kmpl as per my log) and now a Petra (9.4 kmpl as per the log). So, monthly outflow too is up. All kinds of data, which I sometimes collate and try to find out if the car is working OK, if some change I have been feeling in the car is also showing up in the Fuel consumption....

I like spending time in my car, and after a long bumper to bumper drive, this every day activity also helps to relax the frayed nerves. You are not the only people, my friends also look at my old notebook and give me queer glances.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
I like spending time in my car, and after a long bumper to bumper drive, this every day activity also helps to relax the frayed nerves. You are not the only people, my friends also look at my old notebook and give me queer glances.
Me too doing it similar way. Once i come to a halt at my home, i put into neutral,pull the parking brake,take off seat belts,switch off head lamps, relax a bit, collect any book/file/papers , make sure the fan goes off( in my carb 800 fan goes on and off intermittently- it never stays on for long), then i switch off--even after switching off i prefer to spend sometime in the car enjoying the silence.
Old 18th January 2008, 17:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/../members/rough-square.html"
Rough Square[/url]]Does this mean that switching off a car with a turbo charged engine while waiting at a traffic signal would harm the engine in the long run?
Can someone give some gyaan-vigyaan on this?
Old 18th January 2008, 17:20   #34
BHPian

Clarification required

Does anyone with a turbo charged disel engined vehicle - switch it off at traffic signals.
Is this 1 minute idle required every time you switch off the vehicle?
Old 18th January 2008, 18:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

What about non turbo Diesels like Indica (without turbo) and Palio D? Do these cars also require to be in idle before switching off>
Old 19th January 2008, 08:01   #36
BHPian

Another great thread useful for regular day to day users. I idle my car for about 30 seconds if the fan is off else wait till it goes off and the engine settles at 800 rpm *idling* and then switch it off. Even after starting i idle the engine for at least 15 seconds, drive it out of our apartment (i.e get it out of the parking lot to the road) and then wait another 15~25 seconds while i do the regular stuff like putting on the seat belts and so on... and then drive off. I never cross 2500 rpm as its currently in run in period. For my car, look my siggy.
Old 19th January 2008, 09:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

I've got an indica DLG , and the advice i got elsewhere in this forums was that as long as you keep your revs within 1.4~1.5k (preferably as low as possible) , before turning off/after starting up, you should be good . The rationale behind it is that the turbo needs to be properly lubricated before it is summoned for duty. If you gun the throttle the moment you start, the turbo will be pushed into action, when its still not been lubricated properly. You end up damaging the bearings . Similarly, the same before shutting down keeps the turbo running ( inertia) even after you've shut down, and the same damage happens. if its for a momentary stall/stop in traffic, its ok, since it was lubricated previously. but if its a prolonged stop, use your judgement . Besides, if you want to be first of the lights, you'd be keeping your revs up to have the boost at your command , wouldnt you?

I just drive the first minute after getting out/before parking at nearly idle revs.
Old 19th January 2008, 09:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
Does anyone with a turbo charged disel engined vehicle - switch it off at traffic signals.
Is this 1 minute idle required every time you switch off the vehicle?
In a regular petrol vehicle is the signal is 90seconds you can always save on fuel by switching off, though for the Turbo-D Im wondering if its harmful in the long run. Of course it all depends on how much your turbo has been wound up, heh

Guru's ?
Old 19th January 2008, 13:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish
What about non turbo Diesels like Indica (without turbo) and Palio D? Do these cars also require to be in idle before switching off
No, not required.

twenty
Old 8th July 2008, 12:16   #40
BHPian

I am wondering what is the procedure to re-start a engine when it just stops on gear due to low rpm on higher gears. Basically when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Any advice by guru's?
Old 8th July 2008, 12:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Shift to neutral & crank, what else ?
Old 8th July 2008, 12:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
No, not required.

twenty
Yeah, though not required, it makes better sense to idle atleast for 10 seconds before switch off.

This is done to ensure that lubrication supply is not cut off rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Shift to neutral & crank, what else ?
You could also crank without shifting to neutral for a jump start

Or just dump the clutch !
Old 8th July 2008, 14:18   #43
BHPian

Today morning, I was in a situation where I am stuck at traffic light while trying to rev on 2nd gear when the light just turned green from red. My engine just shut off and I restarted it by just turning the ignition and holding the clutch. Just want to know if that is the right way to do it. Will holding the clutch of MPFI assembly harm the engine? I hardly will have 10 seconds to do the entire job.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:48   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just want to know if that is the right way to do it.
Of course it is! As long as you press the clutch *fully*, you may start the car in any gear.

Quote:
while trying to rev on 2nd gear when the light just turned green from red.
Best to start moving in first gear. If you try to lift (from standstill) in second, most petrol cars will require some clutch slipping. This could lead to faster clutch wear.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:26   #45
BHPian

Idealy after I park, I put the car in neutral, engage handbrakes and idle for 30-40 secs if the coolant cycle doesnt start I kill the ignition, however if the coolant cycle starts which happens most of time, particularly if I am driving with AC on,then I let the coolant cycle to end before I kill the ignition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks