Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 20:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Atleast not seen this in the manual of my cars.
That page is missing in your manual..

Welcome to tbhp - enjoy your stay! Glad, we could throw some "gyan"
Old 17th March 2009, 17:24   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Before I enter a parking area I generally switch off the AC and lower the windows. This way I can see the usually dim parking lot better and can also hear any shouts like when I am driving over someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I kill the lights and get the power windows up and sometimes shut down the ICE before finally switching off the engine.
Making it a habit to turn off the lights before killing the engine ensures they're never left on accidentally.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:44   #63
Senior - BHPian

Since both cars I owned were petrol, I usually check for the fan noise. If the fan is on, I wait till it stops and then switch off.

Regarding the turbo systems, I have seen stickers in the BEST buses with turbo-charged engines, that the engine should be idled for a minute to let the turbo get lubricated. So I guess it also holds true for all turbo-diesels.

I used to drive a Fiat Uno diesel. Don't think it was turbo-charged. The fan in it was battery operated, so it used to run even when the engine was switched off. Don't know if that was correct.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:25   #64
BHPian

fan is on, do we need to wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Since both cars I owned were petrol, I usually check for the fan noise. If the fan is on, I wait till it stops and then switch off.
The fan running means the engine needs to be cooled, but when you are going to switch-off the engine so it cools anyway why wait for the fan to stop?
Old 10th December 2009, 21:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

It is absolutely not necessary to do this. Period.

And it's a strict no no in turbo diesels. Many taxi drivers with turbo diesels are bllissfully unaware of this.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The fan running means the engine needs to be cooled, but when you are going to switch-off the engine so it cools anyway why wait for the fan to stop?
The coolant runs at far higher temperatures than you can imagine. If it is not recirculated, it could get nasty. Imagine a geyser you run in your house to heat water for bath. The instructions say that the water must start flowing from the geyser before you switch on the geyser, and you should switch it off before the water stops running. Ideally you switch it off and then wait for a few seconds to allow the near-boiling water to get out of the geyser into the bucket.

Here's something I came across:

Quote:
Under no circumstances should you turn off an overheated vehicle before removing the radiator cap. By having the hood open, the engine running and now opening the radiator cap, you allow a large amount of ambient pressure and steam to escape which would have added to the effects described in the next few sentences. Turning the engine off stops the circulation of the coolant and without the fan runnning allows the coolant to heat up much more quickly thus causing a sudden expansion which can do several things: It can cause a burst of boiling hot antifreeze and steam to come shooting out of the radiator cap. Your radiator/ water pump/ hoses can suffer additional damage from the expansion as well. Contrary to popular belief the expansion/ overfill tank in your car will not function in an emergency such as this.
Do not pour cold water onto the engine or radiator. This can cause casings to crack.
This technique won't work with every car. Sometimes when you turn off an overheating engine to also turn off the fan, and water pump. This is how coolant gets moved around the engine. If this process stops, you keep all the hot water inside the engine.
So if the fan is running when you park your car, make sure the engine stays on at least as long as the fan is running. It will allow circulation of coolant, meaning the hot coolant from around the engine will pass into the radiator to cool, and the cooler fluid will flow into the engine to cool down the engine. If you suddenly switch off the engine, the engine will remain hot, the coolant around the engine (which is already hot) will never be recirculated. If nothing else, you will definitely be losing some months of useful engine life. And it could be worse.

Last edited by honeybee : 10th December 2009 at 22:02. Reason: To mention the geyser

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks