Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 17:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Video: Unusual noise in the engine bay

Thanks to Bhpian LegalEagle for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Bhpian LegalEagle's friend, Vamsee Krishna shares his ordeal with his car.

Quote:
First time I noticed this noise was around the 2nd week of September. I had the car checked in Kalyani MASS on BG road, Bangalore and the team didn't have sufficient time to diagnose and procure the parts. They suspected that it could be a bedding issue. I had to drive to Hyderabad on 29th, so I took the car and drove down on 29th September.

On 30th September, I got the car checked at the Kalyani MASS in Karmanghat. The team hoisted the car on a hydraulic lift and used a mic to check the sound and advised that the C mount will need to be replaced but were not sure how long it will take to procure. I requested them to let me know if it arrives prior to 9th October so that I can get it replaced in Hyderabad. I never heard back from them so I drove back to Bangalore on 9th October.

I took the car to Kalyani MASS on BG Road on 10th October and took delivery on the morning of 17th October and drove to my office.
The parts replaced were:
Part #11610M67P00 - Mounting Engine RH
Part #11710M67P00 - Mounting Engine RR

On the night of 17th, when I returned home at 10:30 PM and was reversing into the parking spot, the sound came back louder than it was before the parts were replaced. This was with the AC off.

On the morning of 18th October, I did a cold start of the engine and within seconds, the noise was back again. Sounds like a Jeep from the good old days if I may say, but not something one would expect from an Alto K10.

I was doubtful if the incline in the parking was leading to the noise. However, this is not how I normally park. At most once or twice in a week over a period of 3-4 months, I park in this manner. It happens when my landlord is not around to move his car so I can't take my car into the single parking slot we have at home (parking woes of Bangalore).

Overall, the car was purchased on 18th March 2018 and has done 11,315 km so far. In the last 8 months, it has mostly been driven on the highways between Bangalore and Hyderabad, Chennai, Tirupati, but very little within Bangalore.

All services have been carried out as per timelines and km requirements.

I suspect it could be another engine mount which might have been effected, but not diagnosed so far or misdiagnosed. What surprises me is that the noise was audible after driving only 6-7 km and came up the moment I tried to park the car.

I have not noticed any issues with driving or mileage, but suspect it could turn into a bigger problem over a period of time.
The car in the parking spot:
Video: Unusual noise in the engine bay-alto-k10.jpg

ChiragM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 20:24   #2
BHPian

re: Video: Unusual noise in the engine bay

How about checking the alternator mounting brackets for starters ? (That metallic ringing from the belt region)

Last edited by adrian : 22nd October 2019 at 20:26.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video: Unusual noise in the engine bay

Going by the noise heard in this video:

I would suspect a broken bearing somewhere. Could be one of the pulleys, such as idler bearing, timing belt pulleys, AC compressor, alternator, or even camshaft bearings. I doubt whether an engine mounting would be a culprit in making this kind of noise.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

I agree the sound from the engine sounds more like a failed bearing than engine mount, unless the phone mic is exaggerating a metal clanking sound. If these are mount noise, then it is straight forward to diagnose, there would be 2 or 3 mounts including engine and gearbox side. But engine seems pretty steady for a broken mount. Another thing to check is the exhaust pipe mounts, if one of them has failed or come off, mentioning since the sound is aggravated when ground is not level. But first guess is something loose or broken from the spinning stuff of the engine.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:18   #5
BHPian

HI Legal Eagle / Chirag

You hould have sent the Video with varying throttle ( rather than just idle speed engine ). Anyways the sound seems to be caused by improperly seated Bearing at the Left hand or right hand side of Crankshaft, OR other Bearings which Follow crankshaft thru Belt ( Idler, Camshaft ), third likeliness is from Alternator, compressor etc )
Now the associated Bearing may be faulty during Installation OR the Casting may be faulty so that Bearing has NOT seated in its seating securely enough. Please note that new age cars have engine and gearbox casting of thinnest Gauge and stiffening ribs are also flimsy.
Now a days castings are designed with bare minimum thickness to handle just the normal Vibrations of that engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
I got the car checked at the Kalyani MASS in Karmanghat. The team hoisted the car on a hydraulic lift and used a mic to check the sound and advised that the C mount will need to be replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Going by the noise heard in this video:
I would suspect a broken bearing somewhere. Could be one of the pulleys, such as idler bearing, timing belt pulleys, AC compressor, alternator, or even camshaft bearings. I doubt whether an engine mounting

Last edited by Lightning2 : 24th October 2019 at 14:20. Reason: Reducing length
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The sort of metallic ringing I hear in the video could be due to several reasons. It could be a bearing, or it could be some other parts that is vibrating/resonating.

Check for anything loose, such as heat shields. Bolts, struts. Anything touching a moving part (e.g. a pulley or a belt)

I have had a similar sound on my Alfa Romeo spider. Eventually traced it to a few nuts not properly tightened on the exhaust manifold. The gasket was vibrating ever so slightly as exhaust gasses escaped along side it.

First try and do a visual inspection with the engine switched off. Get a mirror and a torch, look at everything, get underneath. If you can easily remove those plastic covers off the engine, take them off too.

Make sure everything is tight. Pull, push, check nuts, bolts etc.

Start the engine. Now you need to be very careful as there are some spinning parts. Try and feel around the whole engine, the exhaust system. Anything vibrating that should not, feel for any exhaust leaks.Manifold and flanges.

Use a large screw driver or just a wooden stick to push on components. Does the sound change? No, move on the next component, if the sound does change check that component more carefully.

In order to check bearings on alternator, AC-compressors etc ideally you would need a special stethoscope. A simple alternative is using a long screwdriver. Again be very careful as parts are moving. Place the tip of the screwdriver as near to a bearing as you can. Put the handle of the screwdriver against your ear. You will easily pick out a bad bearing in any of the ancillary equipment.

good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 10:25   #7
BHPian

HI Legal Eagle / Chirag
Please ask you Friend who asked for help from BHPians to provide timely update and feedbacks. Free advice from this portal should NOT BE disregarded or taken for granted !!

BHPians give opinion suggestion to Test their understanding on Vehicles, and correct their understanding depending upon the actual Problem & Solution found in that particular case.
Therefore timely feedback on course of diagnosis, spare parts, procedure and costs involved is expected from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Thanks to Bhpian LegalEagle for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Bhpian LegalEagle's friend, Vamsee Krishna shares his ordeal with his car.

The car in the parking spot:
Attachment 1925870
Old 29th October 2019, 10:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
HI Legal Eagle / Chirag
Please ask you Friend who asked for help from BHPians to provide timely update and feedbacks. Free advice from this portal should NOT BE disregarded or taken for granted !!

BHPians give opinion suggestion to Test their understanding on Vehicles, and correct their understanding depending upon the actual Problem & Solution found in that particular case.
Therefore timely feedback on course of diagnosis, spare parts, procedure and costs involved is expected from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The sort of metallic ringing I hear in the video could be due to several reasons. It could be a bearing, or it could be some other parts that is vibrating/resonating.

In order to check bearings on alternator, AC-compressors etc ideally you would need a special stethoscope. A simple alternative is using a long screwdriver. Again be very careful as parts are moving. Place the tip of the screwdriver as near to a bearing as you can. Put the handle of the screwdriver against your ear. You will easily pick out a bad bearing in any of the ancillary equipment.

good luck

Jeroen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning2 View Post
HI Legal Eagle / Chirag

Now the associated Bearing may be faulty during Installation OR the Casting may be faulty so that Bearing has NOT seated in its seating securely enough. Please note that new age cars have engine and gearbox casting of thinnest Gauge and stiffening ribs are also flimsy.
Now a days castings are designed with bare minimum thickness to handle just the normal Vibrations of that engine.

Hello All,
Thank you for the inputs, and apologies for the delayed posts. Due to the festive season, was unable to post replies.

Currently, my friend is travelling out of country, and therefore has failed to send his vehicle to the A.S.S with the inputs.

However, will keep you posted on the inputs.

Also, to add, the A.S.S guys might be visiting his home, where the problem is more pronounced to understand the issue, as it is not audible anywhere else.

Also, the varying throttle speeds do not alter the sound in any way or manner. This was confirmed by my friend early on when he reached out to me for inputs, and before raising this thread.
Old 1st November 2019, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Vamsee Krishna for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
A very Happy Diwali to all.

Apologies if I seemed like a free loader of advice and not paying attention to what was advised.

Not the intent at all. With Diwali just finishing and me having to do a bit travelling, I could not take immediate action. In between, when I drove for 1-2 days, I always drove at a very sedate pace with minimal braking and tossing of the car.

On the afternoon of 29th October, after all the travels, festivities and relatives rush had died down, I went back to the car and drove around for a distance of about 10 km.

I intentionally drove on some pothole-ridden roads to make sure there was sufficient movement of all the parts of the car all around. The noise had returned as earlier. With a list of the checks that need to be done as advised, I set out to Kalyani Motors Authorised Service Center on BG road. As it was closed and it was mainly diagnosis that I was aiming for, I took it to another MASS on B.G. road. I requested for a SA to come and check without switching the engine off. The SA came and checked and found a T-wrench in the engine compartment (pic attached).

Took the car for a test drive after removing it and there was no noise audible.

I then sent a written complaint to the works manager at Kalyani MASS, BG Road and will observe the car for any other noises over the next 1-2 days.

I have raised a point in my complaint that I am not very comfortable/assured that the bolts and fixtures etc. were aptly fixed on the last job. Will keep you posted about what I hear back and if any further actions are taken by the Service Center. Most likely, this is a case of equipment being left inside the car leading to the noise.

Attached image of the email sent to the works manager and the T-wrench which I found in the engine bay.
Video: Unusual noise in the engine bay-t-wrench.jpg

Video: Unusual noise in the engine bay-complaint.jpg
ChiragM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 11:13   #10
BANNED

Seeking advice - Engine noise in a 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Petrol

Hello Bhp-ians,

I own a beast (2008 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Petrol). It's done ~60K km. I recently experienced some sound, but there is no problem while driving per se. I ended up taking it to a workshop, given Ford anyway wasn't responding.

The mechanic, after a TD, said that the engine seems fine and only the shock absorbers need to be tested. After handing the car over, I mentioned to him to check for engine noise. First, he mentioned some timer (round thing attached to the engine) and later, he said that the belt better be replaced, while it could last for another 20-30K km, and the coolant device also needs to be replaced. I got these replaced as per his recommendation.

Even after these changes, it seems that the mechanic couldn't put back together the things in order because the car was stopping. My suspicion began growing. Then he started saying that the noise level has increased and that is because of the head, which needs to be opened and probably repaired. I told him upfront that I am not allowing him to work on the head as it's very critical and can ruin the entire engine, which is the heart and the best part of the beast that I had enjoyed so far.

In this situation, what do you experts suggest should be my next action as I am still waiting for him to put the stuff that he had changed back on to get my car in at least the same state it was in when I had handed it over to him.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2021 at 19:56. Reason: Language, spacing
gopal.putrevu is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st November 2021, 12:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Seeking advice - Engine noise in a 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Petrol

I will give the benefit of doubt to you and assume the following - You took it to an FNG after a background check. You are like me who do not understand the mechanical side of a car and trust the mechanic. Now you are not sure if what the mechanic is saying is right?

Correct my assumptions but I feel your only solution is to either go through the repair process or get a more trusted FNG player, ask them to visit the garage, check the car and shift to the new FNG. Pay the existing FNG for whatever work they have done and get your issues sorted.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 15:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.putrevu View Post
In this situation, what do you experts suggest should be my next action as I am still waiting for him to put the stuff that he had changed back on to get my car in at least the same state it was in when I had handed it over to him.
What is the round thing? I can only guess that it is the expansion tank.
If he replaced the expansion tank because of a noise, run away. A fan belt is either good or bad and no one will be able to say how long it will last. Can you post some pictures pointing to the things he replaced?

Run away from the shop as fast as you can and find someone else to look at your car.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2021 at 19:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 16:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From you post, I think you are not into the technical details of the car. I am saying this because of the fact that you have not tried to completely understand whats wrong with the car (some sound is rarely a diagnosis, its far from enough to explain the problem to a community over text medium). Your questioning of the mechanic also seems off. And thats ok, even I dont like to do anything DIY even if I am a auto-head.

I think, you should stick to a authorized service station as a cunning FNG mechanic will pick-up what I have interpreted in the paragraph above, and will try to fleece you for a meaty amount, especially since Ford is not gone. Where did you service your car before this? Has that workshop closed?

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2021 at 19:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:19   #14
BHPian

Re: Seeking advice - Engine noise in a 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Petrol

Quote:
First, he mentioned some timer (round thing attached to the engine) and later, he said that the belt better be replaced, while it could last for another 20-30K km, and the coolant device also needs to be replaced. I got these replaced as per his recommendation.

Then he started saying that the noise level has increased and that is because of the head, which needs to be opened and probably repaired.
I read the post again. The "round thing" could be the timing wheel. The mechanic could have replaced the timing belt and got it all wrong.

He must have tried to start the engine with the timing off and a few valves could have been damaged, thus him saying the cylinder has to come off.

The "coolant device" could be the water pump which is replaced together with the timing belt.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Seeking advice - Engine noise in a 2008 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Petrol

What kind of sound is it? So far what you've told us, we can help you with the fact that your mechanic is a crook, or unskilled, maybe both.

Provide some details about what kind of sound, when do you get it, can you localize it when the car is running, maybe open open the hood while it's running to hear properly.
The Fiesta had very basic engines compared to what we get today, mostly very easy to diagnose by a proper mechanic. Look up the forum directory for a recommendation too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks