Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2007, 00:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also having disc breaks to all 4 wheels without ABS is a suicide. The car will lockup more often than car with drums in rear.
Ha ha ha!!
I have a few friends who have four wheel discs on their cars and they are no way SUICIDAL.
I'd like Sideways to comment on this.He drives a car with the above setup.
Old 20th February 2007, 09:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Also having disc breaks to all 4 wheels without ABS is a suicide. The car will lockup more often than car with drums in rear.
This is the reason all cars with disc breaks all around come with ABS.
NHC VTEC comes with disc on all 4 wheels and no ABS ( Honda City ZX - City ZX VTEC - Specifications ).
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2007, 09:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Incase of cars with rear drum breaks the ABS module is only connected to front wheels.

I have tried searching for some confirmation that ABS module connects to only the DISC Brakes and not the Drum Brakes and I haven't found any. It would be great if someone could point at some resources to confirm this. Logically I don't see why ABS cannot be used on Drum Brakes.

BTW, here's a write up on Disc and Drum Brakes and it also points out to why Drum Brakes are still used. It apparently boils down to the cost vis-a-vis the marginal improvement in braking for the rear wheels.

Automobile Brakes - A Short Course on How They Work
Old 20th February 2007, 10:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Incase of cars with rear drum breaks the ABS module is only connected to front wheels.

So that makes the Honda City VTEC a "not so Safe Car". It does not come with ABS.

BTW, the specs says that only the front brakes in the car are ventilated disks while the rear wheel brakes specifies only as a "disc brakes". What's the difference?
Old 20th February 2007, 10:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
BTW, the specs says that only the front brakes in the car are ventilated disks while the rear wheel brakes specifies only as a "disc brakes". What's the difference?
Evolution of Disc Brakes and 'ABS'
Old 21st February 2007, 06:13   #21
BANNED

Quote:

Completely agree with the above statement since the brake locking is more prominent in discs because of better stopping power than drums. And all the folks usually pump the brakes in emergency situations.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats what i thought as well (eg. santro), but i have never seen any documented proof of it.... im not sure whether that is because i am incorrect, or because hyundai does not want to mention anywhere that its only ABS on 2 wheels

Quote:
Not true adya, several cars have discs all around and no ABS. For eg. the W123 series mercs, and are incredibly well behaved under hard braking.

EDIT: also dont forget that there is a brake bias designed into the braking system of cars with all around discs, and hence chances are you will lock up one set of tyres before the other, which is the same way it would be in the case of 2 discs and 2 drums on a car.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd February 2007 at 13:05.
Old 22nd February 2007, 13:08   #23
Team-BHP Support

Also,

Check out this previous discussion > link

AND, follow the link in post #25 of the above thread !!! Its a great resource.

cya
R
Old 23rd February 2007, 04:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
I have a few friends who have four wheel discs on their cars and they are no way SUICIDAL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Not true adya, several cars have discs all around and no ABS. For eg. the W123 series mercs, and are incredibly well behaved under hard braking.

EDIT: also dont forget that there is a brake bias designed into the braking system of cars with all around discs, and hence chances are you will lock up one set of tyres before the other, which is the same way it would be in the case of 2 discs and 2 drums on a car.
This thread has been an eye opener for me.
Thanks for info guys, guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Having all-round discs doesn't make a car suicidal, if the brake balance has been set right.

No matter how powerful your brakes are, you finally rely on the tryes to do all the stopping.

Shan2nu
Old 20th August 2017, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Re: Why drums in rear and discs in front ?

The weight of the car is much higher on the front end than on rear end. Therefore, more stopping power should be applied to the front wheels than rear. This is the main reason for having disc brakes on front and drum on the back side. The good thing is that the drum brake pads lasts longer and it works quite good for regular road use. However, if you happen to take the car on track, it is better to equip with a disc brake setup even on the rear, since the temperature generated will be lower on the disk brake system.
JozfGT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks