Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 10:33   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

"Wearing out the gears" at 25K? That's a new one. However, the Swift does have a weak clutch which is known to fail prematurely.
Old 17th January 2009, 12:07   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidAndroid View Post
One of my friends who owns a swift (abt 2 yrs old/25k kms) gave her car for servicing as the car was making a sound like a jet taking off when she tried to take the car beyond 70-80.
Thats easy - keyword bolded

Hmm, transmissions can only go bad that quickly when mistreated. Maybe she powershifts when you're not looking? It sounds like the gears are damaged. Maybe she learned to drive on that car and ground up the gears? That is quite strange! What you say is correct though - even if she rides the clutch, the gears should be ok. Let me know how it pans out.
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidAndroid View Post
a swift (abt 2 yrs old/25k kms) gave her car for servicing as the car was making a sound like a jet taking off when she tried to take the car beyond 70-80. The Maruti Service station guys told her that her clutch was worn out and so were the gears and this was probably because she was using the clutch too much while driving (coasting/cruising with the clutch pressed so that the gear isnt engaged).
I dont understand how this can happen.
Sounds like a rip-off to me too. Do what you would, if your doctor told you to get a heart transplant - get a second opinion!!

Best of luck
Old 28th January 2009, 18:52   #64
BHPian

It was a rip off (attempted atleast i guess). Next day her dad went down and fought it out with those guys. In the end they just replaced one of the bearings and its working fine now. Turns out one of the bearings was worn out and was making the noise. And the clutch they said is bad shape but would work for now, so my friend decided to stick to it for a while more. I drove it around a li'l bit and felt it was driving decent. Gotta run it for a while before we can know for sure that everything is fine i guess.

What material is the tranny made of, to last for so long?
Old 7th February 2009, 23:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

When a Merc SLR or some V8 muscles revs,there's a loud ticking sound after evry rev...what exactly is that?? Is it related to the valves??
Old 1st December 2009, 03:20   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
When a Merc SLR or some V8 muscles revs,there's a loud ticking sound after evry rev...what exactly is that?? Is it related to the valves??
Thrust bearings are known to worn early if one doesn't take proper care of v8.

Also, there are only and only 2 types of cars, one doesn't need to double clutch and heal and toe, Automatic Transmissions and Nissan 350z/370z

Otherwise Double Clutching is still used. Even on the cars like GTR.
Old 4th December 2009, 01:54   #67
Senior - BHPian

In some old buses and trucks they have the same system of double clutching.But one thing i have noticed in most of them and that is when they shift into first from nuetral i.e. at a stand still position the gearbox makes hell of a noise while shifting in.What is the reason behind this?
Old 4th December 2009, 06:17   #68
Senior - BHPian

While this is not so much of a subject while driving modern cars, it still works very well downshifting on bikes. I do it for every downshift on the Bullet, and the whole change goes a lot slicker. And anything that feels slicker saves wear and tear. On bikes the thing to learn is how to use the front brake and blip the throttle at the same time.
Old 5th December 2009, 15:30   #69
Team-BHP Support

Sawyer, are you sure your are talking about double-clutching and not just revvmatching?

cya
R
Old 5th December 2009, 16:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

Winger

I was surprised to know that Tata Winger doesn't have synchomesh and requires double clutching. Is this true?
Old 5th December 2009, 18:25   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Sawyer, are you sure your are talking about double-clutching and not just revvmatching?
I think he's talking about his thumb and finger technique!

Seriously, has anyone actually done a REAL double declutch. I was around when a firm I worked with took on a batch of the latest TMB 1210A's with synchromesh boxes, moving from the TMB 320A's.

We still did the double declutch drill though: force of habit.

Stripped and fixed about a 100 straight toothed constant mesh boxes, but never got to see the insides of THAT synch box, but worked with plenty others. Would love to see the insides of a Porsche box: they have a different system.

PS I'd be very surprised if the Winger had no synch on any but the reverse gearing.

IT, thanks for the heads up on the 370z. I think the 350 doesn't have that feature.

Last edited by proton : 5th December 2009 at 18:32. Reason: tidy up
Old 6th December 2009, 06:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

cya
R
My mistake and I am glad to see someone is awake! Rev matching is also useful in cars as an in between technique between the full monty double declutch to not doing it at all. Even with cars with synchromesh on all gears.
Old 6th December 2009, 08:22   #73

I think the sound of a car without synchro being double de-clutched with a little blip of the accelerator properly especially going around a curve is heavenly. This would be particularly sweet if the car was a Ferrari or similar car from the 60s. Of course those were part of the skills a racing driver of that period needed to have as he shifted gears with a non synchro gearbox.
Just an observation from someone who is from an earlier generation.
Old 12th December 2009, 11:29   #74
BHPian

Some times I have noticed that even after flooring the clutch pedal on my M800 the 1st gear doesn't engage or is very hard to engage. However through experience I have learn't that if I release the clutch and then again press it the first gear engages as normal. My M800 is a 4 speed 2003 model and I believe it to have a synchromesh gear box.

Can the gurus through some light on this.

Have the other M800 owners faced this too?
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

Some times I have this problem with the reverse gear. Once I leave the clutch little and press the gear it stays in its position.

Most Viewed