Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 14:26   #121

Re: Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners)

About a year back I rented a Creta from MyChoize to go to Nainital with friends, it was a diesel automatic. I really liked the car overall and actually decided to replace my Ciaz in near future with a Creta or a similar vehicle.
One thing I found weird was that brakes felt wooden with very little travel. I assumed that is how automatics are or Creta brakes feel by design. Now I feel that maybe that is not the case and it was really unsafe to drive with that car on hills
We always see likes of Hyundai as a safe choice providing piece of mind but things seem to be going downhill
cy_auto_enthu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:06   #122
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the issue is not resolved even in newer models. A Seltos owner discussed it last night. I'm guessing the new Creta which shares the components may be affected aswell.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:42   #123

I have been reading this thread with increasing panic!

As the owner of a Creta Sx(o) Petrol, 2019 model can I do anything to mitigate the risk? Is it possible to get replacements/upgrades on the brake to resolve this issue?
shoubhikganguly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 17:27   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoubhikganguly View Post
I have been reading this thread with increasing panic!

As the owner of a Creta Sx(o) Petrol, 2019 model can I do anything to mitigate the risk? Is it possible to get replacements/upgrades on the brake to resolve this issue?
Relax man!. If you go looking for issues on every car, you will find one or the other. Does not mean all the Cretas on the road are crashing into everything. Enjoy the car with due maintenance and keep your eyes and ears open always for anything out of the ordinary.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:29   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai/Kia brake failures continue in their Gen next vehicles too.

Brake failure Hyundai Kia recalls 50,000 new energy vehicles.

Quote:
According to CCTV news, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of South Korea recently announced the recall of 47 models of over 80,000 problematic cars sold by automakers such as Hyundai and Kia in South Korea. About 60% of them are new energy vehicles. So Korean consumers questioned new energy vehicles.
Quote:
recalled 3 models of Hyundai and Kia new energy vehicles, including Hyundai KONA ( Parameter | Inquiry ) electric vehicles, Hyundai hydrogen-powered vehicles NEXO and Kia’s Soul electric vehicles, totaling more than 50,000. The investigation revealed that the electric brake system software of the recalled vehicles has defects, which may cause the brake pedal to become heavier and even the brakes to fail.
Quote:
Other data show that from January to October this year, South Korea has recalled a total of more than 2.04 million vehicles, of which Hyundai Motors accounted for nearly half, and the scale of the recall has tripled year-on-year. Experts believe that the increase in the number of recalls is due to car companies' over-reliance on individual parts manufacturers, or multiple models using the same parts, etc.; on the other hand, the number of parts controlled by software in cars is increasing.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 16:29   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai/Kia brake failures continue in their Gen next vehicles too. Brake failure Hyundai Kia recalls 50,000 new energy vehicles.
This isn't funny, Hyundai needs to take it seriously Or they'll be looking at a potential law suit over brake failures. I recall Toyota behaving like an ostrich with the unintended acceleration issue. We know what happened after that.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 17:19   #127

I don't know if it's appropriate to post my experience here . This particular experience of mine was with Hyundai Verna 2019 model (1.6). Last year August our family along with my cousin's family started on a trip to Araku in two cars, one is my S-Cross and other is my cousin's Verna. My brother is driving my car and I'm driving Verna. On NH-5(renamed as NH65),which has two lanes for ongoing traffic and two for opposite traffic separated by huge median, I'm driving Verna around 110-120 kmph, soon I found a truck suddenly changing a lane and coming into my lane at a fair distance. I didn't panic and changed the lane to my dismay there is traffic cone which is placed to indicate the road is under maintenance (seriously?? Single traffic cone???). As there is still good distance between my car and the truck I changed the lane and hit brakes, the car didn't slow down, once again I slammed hard and on my fourth or fifth attempt the car started sliding . In this time being the truck crossed the section which is under maintenance (merely 15 meters, may be a pothole which is being attended) and got back into other lane making my lane empty. Verna slid all the way and got off road and I swevered it back on to the road. The car didn't even slowdown for few seconds . There is no warning sign of ABS system or any such. Thereafter the car behaved normally , but for that few seconds the shock experienced is unexplainable.
Balu9999 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 00:05   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai/Kia brake failures continue in their Gen next vehicles too.
I had posted some weeks ago in the Seltos thread about another recall, this time for the Elantra using Mando brake boosters, in the US. I think its relevant here too.

Please check this post (Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos)

It's a long post, just skip to the fourth quote to get the details about the recall with the link to the NHTSA report.

Hope it helps in finding the cause.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 19:27   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Looks like the issue is not resolved even in newer models. A Seltos owner discussed it last night. I'm guessing the new Creta which shares the components may be affected aswell.
I have a similar question. One of my is about to book current gen Creta Petrol Automatic top variant and skeptical to go ahead because of the info on this thread. Does anyone confirm if the issue exists in the current gen Creta?

His SA is not accepting it as an issue and relating it to the vehicle stabilization mechanism (ESC)

My previous car was Creta 1.6 CRDI 1st gen and I personally was able to reproduce the 'Metal Break Pedal' feel 3 years back. Applied break when the car was on tarmac and wet road at 30km speed and the break gave a feel of metal that bounces back where I could not continue pressing the break pedal. However the vehicle came to standstill (may be the fuel was cut). It was not an emergency breaking, I was just stopping the car on the shoulder of the road where left side wheels were on the wet mud and right wheels were on the tarmac.

My experience does not help on my friend's decision. He has shortlisted the current gen petrol SX O IVT. Looking for experts opinion about the gravity of this break issue and your advice.
kmsithan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 20:35   #130
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Seatbelts and airbags - the only way to know whether they work or not will be at the most critical time, even if they have never been called into action for probably 7/8 yrs after rolling out of the factory.

Brakes - same as above.
"it works most of the time, sometimes, rarely, it may not work"
Unacceptable. Brakes have to work 100% of the time, the one time they don't work, may lead to death.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 19:44   #131
Senior - BHPian

Owners who have faced this issue, there is now a recall policy notified by the government and a portal has been created as well to register complaints. If there are many complaints for the same issue (how many has not been quantified), the government will take it up with the OEM for a fix failing which they will be fined.

More details and the link to the recall portal are here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5066514 (1-crore fine for vehicle recalls in India)
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 08:43   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

My last communication was more than a year back where I received zero updates from Hyundai (Hyundai Regional Office).

Yesterday received a call from Hyundai regional office and asked about the complaint that I had raised. Asked me couple of questions based on my complaint which was:
1) Irresponsible staff - Asked me whether they were part of the dealership or HASS. I mentioned it was from the regional office.
2) No response from Hyundai on any issues raised.
3) Not going to recommend Hyundai to anyone.

Said he would look into this and contact Hyundai. Guess this was part of some rating happening at Hyundai because I received a call from the HASS last week thanking me of some positive comments that I put for them. It was a direct call from the CRM which usually never happens for me. So there's some important review happening I guess. Else, why would the non responsive regional office suddenly inquire about the complaint that I had raised more than a year back? Anyhow, I told what was mentioned on this thread. Let's see if this atleast give them some sense.
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 18:29   #133

You are fortunate that they atleast called, albeit with no real expectations from them. Anyways I was one of the first (Along with one Mr.Paul from Mumbai) who experienced a very alarming situation with the Creta brakes (2015 Sept model). Happy to say that I got a good deal from Tata and switched to the Harrier Dark edition. Its 3 days since the Harrier arrived home.

I am now looking for some advice on if I should go with Graphene or Ceramic coating for my car. I would so very much appreciate if any member here could advice on what to settle for in terms of a protective coating. Looking forward to hearing soon.....happy motoring.
navy68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 22:19   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy68 View Post
Graphene or Ceramic coating
I would treat anything using the word Graphene with extreme caution or even straight disbelief.

Ceramic coatings, on the other hand, are an established product. It's tempted me, but I never did it. There's a good thread on the topic. Probably more than one!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:01   #135
BHPian

Hi. Would like to highlight my experiences as a 2016 Creta(1.6 Diesel SX) owner here. There is a definite issue with the Creta brakes which the Service Centers and SA's continue to deny. Majority of the times that I brake for a pothole/speed bump/rumblers or while going down a slope the brakes refuse to operate normally, the ABS kicks in way too soon and there is loss of traction for a brief moment (these few seconds are the difference between your car stopping as desired and disaster). I have never had the confidence to drive this car beyond 90-100 kmph due to this very reason. The car has been great otherwise but this aspect is non-negotiable.

I have owned a Santro Xing(2005) back in the day which had better braking than this. This is the last Hyundai I will ever own. That is for sure!

Hope Hyundai India is penalized heavily for this oversight/lack of redressal.
ash7678 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks