Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2019, 07:56   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy68 View Post
Hey Naveen. That's as blunt as you can present it and is a replica of what happened to my Creta I faced a similar situation last year and still awaiting a courtesy call from Hyundai to atleast tell me what the hell was the problem. Such a beautiful car and sadly has a safety issue which Hyundai seemingly has hidden from the consumer. Wonder if this would be the scenario if such an incident occured in the USA ? There would be a recall I guess.

Anyways, stopped trusting this car now. And I drive with my hands on the hand brake these days especially in b2b traffic, because the incident happened in b2b traffic, not that I trust it wouldn't happen on highways.
Not the car, it's the brand I don't trust now. Believe me, don't expect a call from Hyundai. Like I had mentioned, I had reported many bad experiences with Hyundai India via mail and haven't' received any response from them even though they took action against the dealer.

Someone I know who drives a Creta saw the same warning light few days back. Asked him to take it to the service station immediately and shared this thread with him .
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 20:58   #62

Stumbled onto this thread while googling "brake issues for seltos" :O

Dunno if it's my past experience on a Vento colouring my opinion, but here's something I've felt on my Seltos since I took delivery about two weeks back.

The brakes feel sort of sluggish to kick in ... I apply them and by the time the car stops, too much time and distance has passed compared to all of my earlier driving experience.

Today while depressing the brakes behind a parked car at a light, nearly touched the other car as mine took longer than expected to fully stop.

Once brake is fully depressed and car comes to a stop I do feel it getting released/softening a bit so dunno if this is a similar ABS issue or there is some sort of burn in that's yet to happen.

Opinions please?
srivasa14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:22   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivasa14 View Post
Stumbled onto this thread while googling "brake issues for seltos" :O
Since both Kia and Hyundai share many components, I wouldn't be surprised to see such comments. I haven't driven the Seltos so can't comment it. But our official review states that braking performance is pretty good. Some sloppy feeling on the petrol DCT.

If you find it uncomfortable, I suggest you check with the service center. It's the most vital component on the car, why take that risk if you feel uncomfortable.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 10:26   #64

Interesting, mine is the petrol DCT. Will check out the review and talk to the service center. Was putting it off till the first month service.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivasa14 View Post
Interesting, mine is the petrol DCT. Will check out the review and talk to the service center. Was putting it off till the first month service.
Is this your first automatic car? If so, it may just be that the engine is still trying to provide some torque to the wheels while the brake is pressed (which is expected).

Try braking to a stop in Neutral and see if that feeling goes away. If it does, it's not a brake issue and you just need to get used to squeezing the brakes a little harder right at the very end to overcome the engine torque.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:49   #66

Not the first, I've only owned/driven automatics. I'll try the neutral+brake test as well as pushing the pedal harder in real driving. Will update.

Thing is I've always felt the brakes a bit sluggish since day 1. Maybe a trip to the service center is needed.
Old 7th January 2020, 10:29   #67
BHPian

I second the views that this issue must be related to the brake cylinder and not the ABS. Its a loss of pressure that seems to trigger the condition you narrated.
Old 7th January 2020, 12:20   #68
BANNED

That's very dangerous, imagine being on highway at a good speed at the time of brake failure

One of my friend had had similar issue in his i10, and also severe rusting issue too. His car rear ended into a bus, it is sheer luck that nothing happened to him and co-driver.

Wonder, why despite such a critical issue, Hyundai is not getting the tags like half-baked, severe-design-flaw, niggle-prone, bad-qc, etc.

Agree that the issues are being discussed, but wonder why they are not getting mentioned in the every official review like in case of Tata, and why they are being overlooked, it would be of great help(in fact life saving) to the readers and prospective buyers which is what the forum is for.

Hyundai is easily getting away without any forever-negative tags. I see a number of product and service issues with various manufacturers, few get away easily while few are bashed forever!
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:01   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
That's very dangerous, imagine being on highway at a good speed at the time of brake failure
Makes me wary whenever I see a Creta nearby... on any road.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:34   #70
BANNED

Bought my Creta in October 2017 and it is the same variant as BHPian Naveen.raju's one. After covering almost 15,000 kms, I started getting thoughts on remapping the car. But before doing it, as any remap will increase the load and dependency on the braking system so I decided to upgrade the brakes first, drive around for a while and then go for the remap.

In those 15,000 kms that I used the car, issues I faced with the braking was 'hard' pedal feel (mainly in bumper-to-bumper traffic) & vibrations on the brake pedal under emergency situations and while going into some kind of pothole.

Started searching for an aftermarket setup but couldn't find any except Brembo that too OEM replacement kind. At 20,000 kms I got a set of rotors and brake pads and replaced them which made a lot of difference in terms of both pedal feel and overall response compared to the stock setup. Drove around 2,200 kms and then got the remap done. Current usage is divided at 65:35 (City: Highway) ratio and the odometer now reads 70,600 kms - after brake swap, I've driven 50,600 kms and feel positive about the overall brake swap that was done initially. The pads are good for another 20,000 kms and rotors may be good for another 40,000 kms.

Not sure why Hyundai is silent after receiving so many complaints without conducting any kind of recall?! Being one of their premium products and looking at posts in this thread, the issue is widespread and could be found in the whole of Hyundai line-up I think. I expected some action as it is dangerous not only for the people sitting inside the car but also for other road users.

Wake up Hyundai!
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:45   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
I second the views that this issue must be related to the brake cylinder and not the ABS. Its a loss of pressure that seems to trigger the condition you narrated.
I had this tested and everything was fine except the ABS sensors that failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

Agree that the issues are being discussed, but wonder why they are not getting mentioned in the every official review like in case of Tata, and why they are being overlooked, it would be of great help(in fact life saving) to the readers and prospective buyers which is what the forum is for.
I keep saying this to everyone and on this forum - Hyundai service network is really a "Hit or Miss". Many of our relatives and friends who seek our opinion since we have 3 Hyundai cars (we eventually sold off one few months back) and the only reply I give is that the after sales support is really poor. One particular service station took us for a ride for 3 years and I switched to a totally new dealer after that. It's been good there. But again, absolutely not a finger moved by Hyundai in spite of numerous issues/complaints that I had reported.

Anyhow, like I always say, I wouldn't recommend/buy another Hyundai until they prove that they address customer issues and improve their after sales support.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:48   #72

Similar ABS failure triggered Brake failure incidents happened with my Creta in Dec 2018. The brake pedal just jammed with no braking effect whatsoever, forcing me to navigate the car further ahead and then try braking after a minute, post which the car came to a stop. Fortunately for me, the failures happened at slow speeds (8-10 kmph) while navigating out of my building driveway onto the main road, and not at higher speeds which could have resulted in banging other vehicles. These brake failure incidents happened with brand new replacement Bridgestone tyres installed.

My local Hyundai ASC had no answers as to why the complete braking system failed with just one ABS sensor failing, and not once but on two separate occasions on different dates. Its unheard of and ridiculous to experience complete brake failure in a vehicle with all top end features in this day and age.

Had escalated the matter to HMIL management, both regional and national level, post which, HMIL Delhi sent their field engineers and conducted thorough inspection of the ABS system, test drove it on rough and good roads here in Mumbai suburbs, installed GPS equipment to record readings on their equipment, but could not simulate a similar brake failure incident.
Nor could they explain why the whole braking system failed despite just one ABS sensor failing. Very clearly braking is impacted with any one of those ABS sensors failing, HMIL has no answers to this issue, therefore, recommend any Creta driver to not drive the vehicle if ABS warning lights appear.

A similar issue at slightly higher speeds occurred with a Creta user in Cochin, around the same time frame, but he, like Naveen_raju, had to force crash into a Maruti Swift and bear damage repairs costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
*Potential Warning to other Creta Owners*

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th January 2020 at 14:16. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Paul63 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 13:51   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Makes me wary whenever I see a Creta nearby... on any road.
Though it's reported mostly with Cretas, other Hyundai cars are also having similar issues like in i10 mentioned above, it might be a Hyundai thing, not just limited to Creta I think.

So, despite knowing this issue since years, Hyundai continued to sell thousands and lakhs of copies without an iota of concern towards the consumer's safety.

Hyundai is able to do this because it's not getting highleted as much as required and therefore many prospective buyers are not aware of it before purchase. One can live with a rattling car, one can live without sunroof and wireless charging, but can one line with inconsistent brakes?

Even if the probability of failure is less, it is not acceptable because it's life and death matter. Whereas laggy screen, rattling interiors etc even after multiple occurrences will not kill anybody.

If one is lucky enough to survive the brake failure, he will go to A.S.S after the incident to get it resolved, or else he will not be there to even report.

Last edited by wheelguy : 7th January 2020 at 14:13.
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 11:29   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Jismon Joy shares his horrific ordeal from last month:

Quote:
Hi Hyundai,

I am writing to you to inform about a serious issue that has shaken my very confidence on Hyundai Motors.

Unfortunately, 15th Feb 2020 while following a bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore on a busy evening, My Hyundai Creta failed to brake despite my firm application of brake ( in fact I should say I literally stood up on the brake ) still failed.

This sudden unexpected collision has completely smashed up the hatch back Infront of me. While I had to compensate him which is beyond the scope, My report is about the braking system which failed horribly to my surprises.

The service center initially was reluctant to accept my claim, has finally tested and replicated the issue which occurred again on slow speeds.
Having investigated the technician has asked me to replace the ABS module and another part which is costing me around 65000 INR which is ridiculous for me to spend at this point.

Formally, I would want Hyundai to tell me what my fault actually was in this accident.

I assume Hyundai boasting of cutting edge automobile technologies has now entered in competition with Boeing 737 MAX airliners and in fact racing far ahead of them in computer systems failure without even a slightest indication of any dashboard alarms or an engine fault tolerance alert.

If you have any clarifications please contact me to discuss further. At this point of time this seems to be a manufacturing defect.
Even if the lifetime of a system is expired, I was not given any indications during service appointments or even from dashboard systems about the worn out of those.

Expecting a response from you, before I proceed further on this catastrophic failure which has left me and my family devastated to trust travel on this vehicle.

Service Request ID is 1-3668921346.
Subsequent replies from the OP:

Quote:
My car is not under warranty and they have replaced HUB Rear wheel (both) with free of cost. But my questions is why this normal brake didn't work if the ABS failed. They did it for free of cost because they know its their manufacturing problem.
Quote:
it’s happened on highway and the speed was below 10KMH. Hyundai also accepted due to ABS failures I met an accident.My car was not under warranty and they have replaced the parts free of cost. That itself is showing its their mistake. My concern is why they are not recalling the cars to fix this major issue. Luckily I was in below 10KM speed.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 15:04   #75
BHPian

Just wanted to report the ABS issue with my cousins Creta.

The car had its ABS light lit up and he called me to ask what to do. I asked him to stop driving the car, but being in remote place we decided to take the risk of driving it home at extremely low speed and using engine braking as much as possible.

Car was given to Popular, Muvattupuzha and was being worked on for last 2 days. They are replacing the back wheel ABS sensor as per the SA. Not sure of the details, but will be meeting him to see the service bill to understand what all were replaced. The car should reach him today after the repair.
Sedate is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks