Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2005, 15:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

You can turbocharge any engine provided you have a mechanism available to provide more fuel under boost... hence in a diesels case change the pump pressure in reference to the boost. In cases of injected engines you will have to remap the chip's or use a tool like Pete's (this is only for crdi engines).
Old 20th August 2005, 16:02   #47
BANNED

Turbo diesels need plenty of cool air, so a RAM air intake from the front of the grille is a better idea than stock factory air box setup, also a bigger air filter goes a long way, the other factor is that turbo diesels already are well muffled due to the turbo vanes taking off most of the exhaust boom, so bypassing the muffler gives you HP and mpg gain. The best benefit to all this is that your engine runs cooler as well, almost 10c improvement in most cases.

CRDI engines develop more power but at the cost of reduced engine and pump life due to the extremely high pressure environment, also for the newer reduced pollution CRDI engines, the ring land area has been pushed right to the top and thereby far more stress and lube issues.

To turbo charge a normal diesel engine, lower end stress and EGT is two of the bigges issues, ideally, turbo diesels need enhanced cooling of the pistons so oil squirters are must, also sodium filled exhaust valves are a must for the normal than hotter exhaust, the oil pressure as well as cooling system too has to be enhanced to accomodate the extra heat and lastly, a 10-15% extra fuel is needed from the IP with a boost apparatus for the pump.

Last edited by Gurkha : 20th August 2005 at 16:06. Reason: addenda
Old 23rd September 2005, 10:29   #48
BHPian

its interesting to know about turbo engines better than crdi, so do u think i make a right decision to purchase turbo diesel scorpio instead of the crde scorpio
Old 24th September 2005, 12:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys
its interesting to know about turbo engines better than crdi, so do u think i make a right decision to purchase turbo diesel scorpio instead of the crde scorpio
Nah the CRDe scorpio is more FE slightly and faster by 3 whole secs to 100! More drivable, better torque! What else do you want!

Quote:
(this is only for crdi engines).
If i am not mistaken its available for a Endeavour
Old 24th September 2005, 12:36   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nah the CRDe scorpio is more FE slightly and faster by 3 whole secs to 100! More drivable, better torque! What else do you want!
But its still Mahindra tinkering with new technologies. An insider at a Mahindra workshop strongly recommends the regular Scorpio over the CRDe

GTO
Old 24th September 2005, 15:53   #51
BANNED

GTO,

Good point, remember, the original Scorpio engine is the modded Peugeot XUD series engine by AVL, CRDI technology deals with very high injection pressure compared to IDI and even DI. I would wait for the CRDe to accumulate 60,000 hard driven miles before passing any kind of judgement on it.
Old 24th January 2007, 03:07   #52
BANNED

How diesel ignites in a diesel engine.

hey all,
I understand that petrol cars have spark plugs to ignite the fuel but what about the diesel cars? How does the fuel get ignited in this can any one help.

Cheers.
Old 24th January 2007, 17:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
hey all,
I understand that petrol cars have spark plugs to ignite the fuel but what about the diesel cars? How does the fuel get ignited in this can any one help.

Cheers.

In a diesel engine the fuel gets ignited by compressing the fuel

Read more about it here.

Diesel engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 25th January 2007, 10:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
In a diesel engine the fuel gets ignited by compressing the fuel

it is not the fuel that is compressed, it is the air entering the engine, that is compressed. the air is compressed to a very high pressure, and rusults in a very high temperature, then diesel fuel is injected into the cylinder, in the form of a very fine mist, and due to high temperature, it explodes.
Old 25th January 2007, 11:06   #55
BHPian

and can anyone tell me, what can i do to my exhaust? i guess putting a free flow mufler, will make a lot of noise, i hav a normally aspirater diesel indica...
Old 6th February 2007, 22:49   #56
Team-BHP Support

can anyone tell me how i can get more power out of a diesel innova. theres no petes box available and there was some other tuning box but that cost 46k with no power or top speed increase only torque.
Old 13th February 2007, 10:03   #57
BHPian

there is a petes tuning box for inova... check out their website.... other stuff that can help are better air filters and a free flow exhaust....
Old 13th February 2007, 14:14   #58
BHPian

More Power for Diesel cars

Hi RTech,
How can the powerchip increase the power? I heard it gives wrong signals to the ECU and increases the output. Will it not damage the ECU and reduce mileage?
Old 16th February 2007, 16:28   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilv12 View Post
there is a petes tuning box for inova... check out their website.... other stuff that can help are better air filters and a free flow exhaust....
the petes box is not available for the innova.. i will probably put in an air filter. but wont the free flow be very loud?
Old 18th February 2007, 21:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the petes box is not available for the innova.. i will probably put in an air filter. but wont the free flow be very loud?
check this out...

Pete's

it will be louder not not very loud.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks