Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 15:20   #16
BHPian

re: Problems in my brand new Mercedes C220d. EDIT: Solved (page 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
take a very good mechanic who has a dealer level OBD scan tool, pay him well and have him evaluate the car to check what faults lie within. Only then will you have a clear picture of what is going on and how deep is the doo-doo you are in.
. Most dealerships do not have the technical folks nor the proper tool to diagnose these complex machines. In Kochi, I know this for a fact. Most dealers and independent garages depend on these experts to come in with their magic box to debug and analyze issues on these cars. Most initial replacements tend to be knee jerk reactions rather than based on actual findings. Please ensure that the root cause is identified before doing anything.
motorotor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 18:41   #17
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing! Sucks to have problems in a new car, but I hope the dealer sorts it out & you can begin enjoying your new Benz.

Am sending a link of your thread to Mercedes India so that the company can look into it .
Thanks a lot GTO. It really helped. Now I have a got a confirmation that MBIL was involved at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Its a bit of a downer when your new car gives trouble, even more so if it is a Merc.
I hope your problem is quickly resolved.
Thanks KMT. I haven't used any pressure wash. Good point, noted for future usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
I would raise hell personally. This is unacceptable for any car (or product really), first, second or third hand doesn't matter, and the fact that you would have spent a cool 50 L makes it doubly egregious.
Thanks Stirbog for finding all these details. I'm saving them, hope I won't have to use them though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The composure shown by you is god-level! Especially with the way MB has handled this customer relationship!
Hoping to take yoga sessions from you in soon!
Thanks rpm. The dealer is doing their best. It is just unfortunate that two new parts failed and it complicated things for them also.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th November 2019 at 18:56. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 23:35   #18
sgm
BHPian

Thank you alabjarus
The delear is the new kid in the block in our town

They have done a fantastic job

1. Delivery experience: these errors happened due to the last day stop gap arrangements of a new SA. Half day's madness can be forgiven in the long run if it is sweet.
2. Insurance: The MB portal shows the correct details and only the ICICI portal has issues (with wrong details), so dealer has done it correctly but MB to ICICI communication went wrong somewhere. Dealer has given an update to me that they have taken the required steps to get the corrections done from ICICI.
3. Part failures:
"A friend in need is a friend indeed", they are doing their best to get a resolution, this is where the overall experience will turn a sweet one in the long run, hopefully all the niggles will get resolved by the time I get the car back. New part arrival is going to take some time. There is no short cut here.
sgm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 12:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
I have been an avid T-BHP follower for the past 15 years. Recently I got a new C220D and I have run into some unpleasant experiences and I seek the expert opinion from the team members. I would greatly benefit if someone has gone through a similar experience.
Hi

GTO had earlier created an excellent thread on how to handle situations like this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...ight=Lemon+car (ARTICLE: What to do if you are stuck with a lemon (Defective car))

Please go through this if you have already not done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

I would personally,

(1) Tweet this to both MB India and their global ID

(2) Call their customer care if any

(3) Use the contact us form to escalate
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 30th November 2019 at 13:45. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
PAkshay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 11:47   #20
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAkshay View Post
Hi

GTO had earlier created an excellent thread on how to handle situations like this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...ight=Lemon+car (ARTICLE: What to do if you are stuck with a lemon (Defective car))

Please go through this if you have already not done that.

Thanks for the info.
Thanks Akshay.

I have got a call from MBIL due to our forum's popularity. They are trying for a speedy part arrival.

Special thanks to GTO. I'm waiting for the car to come back hoping this is the last niggle.
sgm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 19:04   #21
BHPian

I really appreciate your optimism. But such a shoddy approach was never expected from a premium brand like MB.

Heck I can't think of such a behavior even from maruti.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 20:25   #22
BHPian

You mentioned your car was delivered around 8 in the evening. This makes it seem like your car has been in the yard for quite a long time, and might have some physical damages that’s why the dealer has deliberately tried to hide this by avoiding the daylight.

Another possibility due to the SA stalling the delivery and number plate missing is that your car might have been scooped up from another branch of the dealer if there exists one.

Your best bet? Wait for some time and see if the issue gets resolved but do gather as much evidence about everything you could in the meantime. Video/record every visit or conversation with the dealer and pull up every receipt; and if unfortunately you get pulled further down into the abyss, reach out to MB with all your might backed up with advice from someone in the law side. Consumer court will help a great deal.
Dr.Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 20:35   #23
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
I really appreciate your optimism. But such a shoddy approach was never expected from a premium brand like MB.

Heck I can't think of such a behavior even from maruti.
Thanks Adityadeva
Though I'm optimistic still this whole episode has caused me lot of stress and inconvenience, soon one month will get completed and it is still with dealer to get the replacement of parts.
Old 1st December 2019, 21:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mechanic View Post
You mentioned your car was delivered around 8 in the evening. This makes it seem like your car has been in the yard for quite a long time, and might have some physical damages that’s why the dealer has deliberately tried to hide this by avoiding the daylight.

Another possibility due to the SA stalling the delivery and number plate missing is that your car might have been scooped up from another branch of the dealer if there exists one.

Your best bet? Wait for some time and see if the issue gets resolved but do gather as much evidence about everything you could in the meantime. Video/record every visit or conversation with the dealer and pull up every receipt; and if unfortunately you get pulled further down into the abyss, reach out to MB with all your might backed up with advice from someone in the law side. Consumer court will help a great deal.
This is a common technique to deliver or rather "palm off" units with problems to unsuspecting clients.

Went through the thread, did I miss the PDI part.?
Old 1st December 2019, 22:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you alabjarus
The delear is the new kid in the block in our town

1. Delivery experience: these errors happened due to the last day stop gap arrangements of a new SA. Half day's madness can be forgiven in the long run if it is sweet.
I'm assuming that you picked up the car from the Koramangala dealership. The delayed delivery is not a new issue with them, I had the same problem when they delivered by GLS. It seems to be a general issue of bad co-ordination between them and Mysore road.

Can't really call them "New" either. They've been around for more than 8-10 years now I believe.

The unfortunate problem with MB service technicians is they are trained just to check problems on the diagnostic tool. Then their standard approach is to replace the offending part. If there is an underlying problem causing the issue, they are very rarely able to diagnose it.

Since MBIL has got involved, hopefully, you should be able to get the issues resolved soon.
VellVector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you PrideRed
Based on the VIN number, this was manufactured in April 2019. I think this should be fine
April manufactured delivered in November.. isn't it a wee late?
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:36   #27
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsy View Post
April manufactured delivered in November.. isn't it a wee late?
Yes, I would have been happier if it was 2-3 months, my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
This is a common technique to deliver or rather "palm off" units with problems to unsuspecting clients.

Went through the thread, did I miss the PDI part.?
Thanks shivshanker, Yes I missed the PDI though I had planned for it, great miss. I used to carry the T-BHP PDI checklist printout but couldn't manage to find time. Whenever I was ready, SA was not ready and vice-versa. I did visual inspection at the showroom with whatever minimal light and noticed two small scratches on front side of headlight assembly (about 1cm long) and showed it to the SA. I did another thorough inspection the next day at home in broad daylight, couldn't find anything new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mechanic View Post
Thanks you Dr.Mechanic.
I believe the dealer is clean here except for those silly mistakes. We will know once I start using it for few days.
My mistakes are a lesson for unsuspecting buyers, I trusted MB/dealer, never trust based on a few days of interaction. May be nothing is wrong, or something is fishy, I missed my part.

Last edited by sgm : 2nd December 2019 at 14:48.
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:35   #28

Very unfortunate to have such problems in a brand new car , that too an expensive one. I guess these brands don’t treat Indian costumers on par with our western friends as far as post sales service and warranty goes. Why no loaner car wasn’t offered or given. So unfortunate .
Shaileshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shivshanker, Yes I missed the PDI though I had planned for it, great miss. I used to carry the T-BHP PDI checklist printout but couldn't manage to find time. Whenever I was ready,
apologies mate, it is very easy for me to comment that "the SA avoided the PDI" on purpose.

But we all learn from our mistakes, I was palmed off a Jul 2005 submerged RE 500 in Sep 2005, every part I opened had mud cakes in it. Finally, after a lot of calls to RE management, changed almost everything. But the thought lingers, however learned from my mistake as after that every vehicle delivery has been in broad day light with the Inspection in the Yard and Undercarriage inspection before signing registration papers.
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:00   #30
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
I'm assuming that you picked up the car from the Koramangala dealership. The delayed delivery is not a new issue with them, I had the same problem when they delivered by GLS. It seems to be a general issue of bad co-ordination between them and Mysore road.

Can't really call them "New" either. They've been around for more than 8-10 years now I believe.

The unfortunate problem with MB service technicians is they are trained just to check problems on the diagnostic tool. Then their standard approach is to replace the offending part. If there is an underlying problem causing the issue, they are very rarely able to diagnose it.

Since MBIL has got involved, hopefully, you should be able to get the issues resolved soon.
Thanks VellVector
In this age of advanced electronics, it is next to impossible to check each component and replace the faulty component is a PCB, rather you havo to change the entire unit to keep the integrity of the circuit.
I have a specific query regarding the 9G tronic. I notice that whenever the gear is changed from N to R, N to D1 or D1 to D2 in a slow acceleration, there is a slight noticeable "purr" sound from engine (half a second), sounds like a rev matching thing but I don't see any abnormal rev drop or pick up on the RPM gauge ? I can notice this easily if the windows are rolled down at standstill. Have you noticed this?

Most Viewed