Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2007, 07:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Esteem Brake problem

Last evening I was driving my friends '98 Esteem VX and noticed a weird problem with it. I was at a traffic light, resting my leg on the brake pedal, suddenly I noticed slight and gradual movement of the brake pedal downwards. And after an interval, the brake pedal was completely down and the brake wasn't holding the car until I let go the pedal and pressed it again (Just like we pump the brakes sometimes).
I got scared to drive the vehicle thinking the brake booster has gone for a toss and is not holding the pressure down. Tried to brake slowly while driving and noticed that the pedal went dead if I slowly pumped onto the brake. Pulled over to the side on an empty strech of road and tried to brake hard and the brakes worked. The brakes are working absolutely fine when I dont mildly push the pedal. If I have to use the brakes I need to brake hard and the car works. I did not observe any loss in braking efficiency when I used "pump the brakes method".
Could someone please help me with rectifying the problem before I take the car to a service station. My stupid friend has been using the car saying this is normal behaviour and I dont buy that. The brake pedal going down completely is an issue and this happens at idle and also when the car is in motion. The car has new brake pads in the front as well as the rear and they have been used only for 3000 kms.
Old 24th February 2007, 09:27   #2
BANNED

Hi,

You may have a vaccum leak somewhere in the brake system most likely the booster. Please tell your friend to have it checked as it may be dangerous.

Viper
Old 24th February 2007, 09:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,
You may have a vaccum leak somewhere in the brake system most likely the booster.
How do I perform a leak test on the booster? Any pointers? I would like to check it myself before I hand it over to the service guys.
Old 19th March 2007, 11:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Due to sheer negligence and poor maintainence my friend did not get his brakes checked, result was a brake failure on Saturday.

He got the entire brake booster assembly replaced for Rs. 3600/- and I asked him to get new oil and pads too. Finally the brake problem is fixed and we feel confident driving the car!
Old 19th March 2007, 12:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

The same thing has happened to my Sumo, a couple months back.
And yes, it was the booster.
What I dont understand is when the brakes are ineffective,why isn't the brake warning light on the instrument panel coming up?
Old 19th March 2007, 12:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

The brake warning lamp lights up only when the brake fluid goes low on the car. Wish manufacturers hear you nitrous!
Old 19th March 2007, 12:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

That lights up only when there is shortage of brake oil. Come on, nitrous, this is not a merc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks