Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2004, 02:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

High Octane Fuel

Ok Guys,
* *This is my secret in making high octane fuel. Can go as high as 120octane!.

* * Im sure all you guys know why we need octane so im going to skip that part. Now to some basics on Petrol.

Petrol constitutes of alkanes about 20 - 30%, cycloalkanes 5%, alkenes 30 - 45% and aromatics 30 - 45%.
In the earlier Formula Days they used to use a fuel called TOLUENE!! in formula cars which has a RON of 120 octane. But as F1 restricted the amount of toluene used they mixed n-heptane to that brew. N-Heptane is 0 octane. Toluene is a high energy fuel which is really mindblowing. This is how you go about it.

Take about 6 ltrs of 93 octane from a pump. Pick up Toluene from a chemical dealer (4 ltrs). Mix the two, add about 10ml Transmission fluid. Even Diesel about 100ml can be added but this can be skipped, even the transmission oil part. Why i say use AT fluid is it is a very good cleaning agent and diesel has a high energy value and is a good lubricant.

Anyway 6ltrs gasoline and 4 ltrs Toluene. To calculate final octane number work on this

(Gas Octane X Quantity) + (120 X Toluene Qty)
----------------------------------------------
* * * * * *Total qty of toluene and gasoline

THis gives you the final octane number attained. example for 10ltrs. {(6X93) + (120X4)} / 10 = 103.8 octane.
DONT MIX MORE THAN 40% OF TOLUENE WITH NORMAL FUEL this is just to be on the safer side.

What you guys can do is try in the begining mixing 1ltr of toluene with 10ltrs. The response is simply great!. Your chemical guy incase he doesnt get what you are pronouncing give him the Formula ( C6H5CH3 ) try and get the sulphur free ones. Costs about 30Rs/ltr.

Do let me know your feedbacks. Ive tried this one every car possible, from zen's to supra's.

Cheers
Dom

PS: Do let me know if you can acquire or know anyone who can get me toluene at a cheaper rate.

Old 22nd April 2004, 02:26   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

hats off to u man!! where did u find this stuff..

M3
Old 22nd April 2004, 02:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Bro,
Have been using this technique for over 4 years now. Started with the bikes now into cars.

Cheers
Dom
Old 22nd April 2004, 03:24   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Ive tried this one every car possible, from zen's to supra's.
would it make much of a diff to my honda 1.5 (100hp)?

M3

Old 22nd April 2004, 04:38   #5
BANNED

hmm what abt the average.??? surely drops right!!!1
Old 22nd April 2004, 04:51   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (vishnugnair @ April 22 2004,03:08)]hmm what abt the average.??? surely drops right!!!1
with higher octane rating ur average won't drop..it'd aid in better combustion & u might get an increment in ur mileage & not reduction!

M3
Old 22nd April 2004, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Hi Dom,

can this high octane fuel be used for my carb esteem too ? do i have to make any changes to the composition of this mixture since its a non-mpfi car ?

~A
Old 22nd April 2004, 13:53   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL Dom,

Lets partner up and open team-BHP petrol pumps all around town...will surely give BP,HP and reliance as run for their money, wot?

I trust your calculations and mixtures, but will the end product we exactly the same as high octane fuel available from the oil suppliers? Isnt there any further treatment or additives?

Also Dom, is there a limit to how high octane fuel you can use in a particular car? Say my Vtec?

When I have my own racing team, you can be my official fuel supplier

GTO
Old 22nd April 2004, 14:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 22 2004,22:23)]When I have my own racing team, you can be my official fuel supplier *
AHEM!!! When we have our racing team.
With 120octane onboard, i ain't gonna let mty Vtec sulk in the garage dude

Man we could do some real damage to the competition with that sort of fuel.

But hey, what sort of compression ratios will our cars need to run on 100+ oct??

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 22nd April 2004, 15:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

hey dom what are the bikes you did this on???
what mixture to be used in an elim?
Old 22nd April 2004, 15:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Start of from the first reply....
yes RJ correct it doesnt hurt effieciency at all!.

You can use it on your carb car too, Dont go more than 95 octane that is about 1ltr of Toluene per 10ltrs of 93 octane fuel. Also after you do this advance your timing by about 2 - 3 degrees which will help a great deal!.

GTO, as i explained the properties of gasoline. Oil companies use 30 - 45% aromatics for octane numbers. And toluene is an Aromatic. And toluene is present in all pump gas all over the world.
Also STP, and other octane boosters have the same contents. They have toluene, they use a lubricant and a cleaning agent. Thats what i meant by using diesel and AT fluid. they use about 3% lubricant fluid and utpo 20% cleansing. But why pay so much to make your octane number go up by 1 - 5 points (points is only .1 octane!! )

There is no limit to use high octane as long you in that 60:40 ratio. But remember high octane wont increase hp all the time. After a specific requirement using higher octane is useless. Go about 10:1 ratio in the begining. This goes to all guys who want to do this. Use 10ltrs of Gas with 1ltr of toluene. This should give around 95octane. This is more than sufficient for stock non modded cars. Even if you have a free flow and intake this should be enough. Unless you have increased compression ratio and modified the cylinder head or using boost.

Shan I am making a chart of octane requirement. Will put it up shortly to make things simpler for everyone.

Cheers
Dom
Old 24th April 2004, 08:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

Great stuff Dom,

just one Q > does the homemade stuff have any disadvantages at all over the regular high octane fuel (found outside india for example)?

cya
R

ps - also wanted to clarify that its not high octane fuel in itself that gives you more HP. It just enables your engine to run on different settings that extract more power.
The high octane fuel enables your car to run on advanced ignition (spark) timing without detonating/pre-ignition/knocking/pinging/exploding early. It also enables engines to run at higher compression (mods required) without detonation. cya.

Old 24th April 2004, 12:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan,
I have explained the same part in my earlier post. There is no disadvantages at all. As long you use it in a proper method. No over mixing etc. Petrol allover the world uses toluene to increase octane number. So what im basically doing is getting toluene and mixing more to get more octane.

Cheers
Dom
Old 24th April 2004, 13:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hey Dom,

I guess what i have trouble understanding is why dont pumps just make this mix and sell it as high octane then? / or why does everyone (hi performance car owners) complain about the unavailability of high octane here when making it is as simple as this and without any disadvantages?
Perhaps something to do with the quality of toluene?

Im not doubting your process or anything....just wondering how this is so easily possible! ;-]

cya
R
Old 24th April 2004, 13:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hehe,
Yes rehaan, The thing is that toluene is not cheap in US and in India. I somehow am getting toluene at wholesale prices at 32-37 per litre. In the US it costs 8$ - 10$ for each gallon which is costly. If you buy toluene from a chemical dealer it costs 120Rs per litre here in India. Thats the reason not everyone does it. But almost every boosted supra does it. Check a few forums and youll get the idea.

Also it is the main ingredient in all octane boosters here.

Cheers
Dom

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks