Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 22:12   #1

Maruti Ignis: Slight juddering on cold start. Why?

Hello Team-BHPians,

Lately, I am observing that my car judders slightly on cold start. It is a 16 months old Ignis AMT model car with 12.5K Kms on odo.

Juddering stops immediately once the car is moved & it doesn't happen even if i turn off & on the ignition again. It happens only when the ignition has been off for couple of hours.

I am tempted to think it could be because of weather, but Bangalore weather is not so cold. There are no warnings on the console & all the liquids are at sufficient levels.

Any of you guys have observed this in your car.

Mods: Please merge this post onto an existing thread if there has been a discussion already.
iamtrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 23:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Ignis: Slight juddering on cold start. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtrk View Post
Hello Team-BHPians,

Lately, I am observing that my car judders slightly on cold start.
Get the gearbox mounting checked. Specifically the torque mount also known as the "C" - mount which is located on the subframe. Sometimes that becomes a bit wonky, resulting in cold start shudders.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 10:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis: Slight juddering on cold start. Why?

Quote:
I am observing that my car judders slightly on cold start.
What kind of judder? Is it when the engine is idling in neutral, or when you engage gear and start to move?
Old 17th December 2019, 11:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lately, I am observing that my car judders slightly on cold start. It is a 16 months old Ignis AMT model car with 12.5K Kms on odo.

Juddering stops immediately once the car is moved & it doesn't happen even if i turn off & on the ignition again. It happens only when the ignition has been off for couple of hours.

Any of you guys have observed this in your car.
Yes I have observed this recently - it is as if the power transmission is not happening properly due to the AMT Gearbox or the fuel flow is not proper. Mine is a 2.5 Year Old Ignis. I agree word for word with what you have described.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Kindly share the rpm on tachometer when the car is cold started.
Old 17th December 2019, 11:40   #6
BHPian

same behavior with my Ignis as well. Almost same age and mileage (11K kms and 14 month old). It is once "D" is engaged and vehicle moves forward that we feel this judder. However, it lasts hardly 100m and car is absolutely fine after that. So haven't really bothered about it yet.

Last edited by G-BoleroBoy : 17th December 2019 at 11:41. Reason: Added last comment
G-BoleroBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 12:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can also be brake related issue. My Polo makes hissing sound till I brake once properly and then works smoothly.
Old 17th December 2019, 14:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What kind of judder? Is it when the engine is idling in neutral, or when you engage gear and start to move?
It happens when I am releasing the brake after engaging the gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Kindly share the rpm on tachometer when the car is cold started.
RPM is around 1100-1200 just after the ignition is on & settles down to around 750 in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
same behavior with my Ignis as well. Almost same age and mileage (11K kms and 14 month old). It is once "D" is engaged and vehicle moves forward that we feel this judder. However, it lasts hardly 100m and car is absolutely fine after that. So haven't really bothered about it yet.
In my case, it lasts for few meters/seconds & its fine after that.

So, what do you guys think ? is this some thing I should be concerned about or can safely ignore.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th December 2019 at 16:19. Reason: Fixed typo.
iamtrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
RPM is around 1100-1200 just after the ignition is on & settles down to around 750 in a minute.
This info takes one root cause down. During the earlier iterations of K12M engine, cold start of engine sometimes resulted in engine starting with rpm hovering around 700rpm and as a result the whole car vibrated. Either a restart or pressing accelerator would resolve the issue. Since your car is starting at correct rpm, the next component to be checked is the transmission. As these issues are intermittent, suggest you to make a video to capture the issue before heading down to MASS.
headbanger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 16:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It happens when I am releasing the brake after engaging the gear.
Your car's clutch probably has a sticky friction plate, which frees up when it warms through a little. If the juddering is not too bothersome, you might want to live with it - else, if you are covered under warranty and can get a free clutch replacement, go for it.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:49   #11
BHPian

Hi. Continuing on the same topic, I'm suffering from the same problem on our Ignis MT. It's the pre-facelift model, run just 7,000 km, used only in the city. The juddering happens quite often, mainly on the first gear, especially in the mornings. I let the engine warm up before moving, but that hasn't really helped.

Occasionally, I can feel the clutch slip when releasing the clutch after slotting into second. Before blaiming the car itself, I tried to figure out if it's got to do with my driving habits, but that doesn't seem to be case as I don't experience it with our other cars. Could it be a bad flywheel or weakened link arm? If yes, is the wear and tear for a 1.5 year old car with 7k km on the odo acceptable?

Some extra information: The car was serviced in June (3rd free service) and has covered roughly 1,500 kms since. It drives perfectly well on the other gears. The car has a monthly running of around 500 kms and it is driven at least six times a week (lockdown excluded, of course).

Any help/insight in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10th October 2020, 18:36   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Hi. Continuing on the same topic, I'm suffering from the same problem on our Ignis MT. It's the pre-facelift model, run just 7,000 km, used only in the city. The juddering happens quite often, mainly on the first gear, especially in the mornings. I let the engine warm up before moving, but that hasn't really helped.

Occasionally, I can feel the clutch slip when releasing the clutch after slotting into second. Before blaiming the car itself, I tried to figure out if it's got to do with my driving habits, but that doesn't seem to be case as I don't experience it with our other cars. Could it be a bad flywheel or weakened link arm? If yes, is the wear and tear for a 1.5 year old car with 7k km on the odo acceptable?

Some extra information: The car was serviced in June (3rd free service) and has covered roughly 1,500 kms since. It drives perfectly well on the other gears. The car has a monthly running of around 500 kms and it is driven at least six times a week (lockdown excluded, of course).

Any help/insight in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Exactly same issue and I've banged my head explaining this to the service center, even called for a technical inspection at home but somehow MASS either doesn't understand or don't want to understand the problem.. My car is 1 year and 2 months old. But I've noticed this problem is more in humid and moist weather. In monsoons and foggy winters i face this issue.
akhilesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
The juddering happens quite often, mainly on the first gear, especially in the mornings.

Could it be a bad flywheel or weakened link arm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
But I've noticed this problem is more in humid and moist weather. In monsoons and foggy winters i face this issue.
Am I right in concluding from all the posts above that this affects both AMT & MT versions of the Ignis?

If yes, it sounds like it’s got to do with the engine rather than the transmission. More specifically, it sounds like a bad MAF sensor or O2 sensor which is affecting the air-fuel mixture on a cold start.

It could even be a bad ignition coil (which can lead to misfiring/juddering on the first start of the day).

The car is way too new for any of the above to fail this early, but something is surely not right.

I smell a recall here as the manufacturer cannot just pretend the problem doesn’t exist. If so many owners, on this forum itself, suffer from the exact problem, imagine the number of owners outside this forum who are affected by it.

If it is indeed the MAF or O2 sensor, looking at the live data on any competent OBD2 scan tool will reveal the cause.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 22:27   #14
BHPian

Hi,

Mine is Vitara Brezza ZDi+ AMT, 8700Km run and one year old. I too have faced something similar. Tried explaining to Maruti, but couldn't reproduce it to them. As mentioned in the above posts, it happens in cold start, and vanishes after you accelerate. I always idle the engine at least for 03 to 05 minutes, and I use the crawl function for my first 50 meters in D mode in Ist gear, before using the accelerator, it is during these first few minutes, I feel the judder. I mentioned this to my service advisor during my last service on 01st October, but he didn't pay any heed. I was living with it.

Not sure if it is due to clutch slipping or improper fuel supply, it happens only in the Ist gear.

This thread has made me stand up and look for answers. Thank you iamtrk for starting this thread.

Last edited by smileline : 10th October 2020 at 22:39.
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Get the gearbox mounting checked. Specifically the torque mount also known as the "C" - mount which is located on the subframe. Sometimes that becomes a bit wonky, resulting in cold start shudders.
Hi Arjab
Kindly post a pic of the C mount of Maruti AMT cars so that we can tally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Am I right in concluding from all the posts above that this affects both AMT & MT versions of the Ignis?

If yes, it sounds like it’s got to do with the engine rather than the transmission. More specifically, it sounds like a bad MAF sensor or O2 sensor which is affecting the air-fuel mixture on a cold start
Hi, Since juddering is associated with forward motion only so Ignition mixture & Idling are not suspected here. ( Because I always wait and let the car do morning engine run and settle at Idle RPM )
In my Ignis AMT, when I take reverse of 8-9 meters in morning, there is no juddering, then when I engage Drive mode forward gear, then car judders few seconds of forward run.
Also, please note that initial judder is More when front tires are not straight and are in steered position.
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed