Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 15:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ohc Engine Vs Nhc Engine

after innumerable threads on the comparison between OHC, NHC, VTEC, NON VTEC...and even threads on what combination of engine and body would be more ideal...i was wondering what exactly is the difference between these 2 engines that makes the NHC engine so "path breaking "

being a OHC owner and being not very impressed with the NHC, the tone of this thread could be a bit anti - NHC..but neverthe less , wanted to clear some doubts on this NHC engine

1) the NHC engine displaces almost the same volume as the OHC one. but with around 23% less power and giving around 20% better FE - what exactly makes this engine fuel efficient in absolute terms.... i mean - does reduced power resulting in more FE necessary mean the engine is technologically superior ?

2) is the NHC engine lighter than OHC engine ?

3) does it put out more torque than the OHC making driveability better in city - a chink in the OHC armour i agree

4) is the NHC engine a cleaner engine ? meaning lesser volume/mass of pollutants put out per litre of fuel taken in ??

5) is the NHC engine smaller than the OHC engine resulting in lesser space required for the engine bay ?

6) are there any other differences that make this engine "technologically superior " AND translate into actual benefits for the car user ? or is it pure marketing gimmick to say " all new engine " with an all new car bcos it doesnt sound good to offer the "same old engine " with a "all new car " ??
Old 28th February 2007, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Narayan, have a look at this article. It gives information about NHC engines i.e., L-Series Engines (both i-DSI & VTEC) from Honda.
The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz
Old 28th February 2007, 17:01   #3
BHPian

Superb article msdivy.... Thanks for the link.
Old 28th February 2007, 17:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

superb article msdivy....

addresses pts 2-5 of my post....

but on FE alone which is the key selling point of the new car, i guess the old one detuned to 77BHP probably would have managed a better FE !!
Old 28th February 2007, 17:15   #5
BHPian

Narayan, Torque (read driveability) at low rpms is another important feature of the i-DSI engine.
Old 28th February 2007, 22:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hi Narayan, have a look at this article. It gives information about NHC engines i.e., L-Series Engines (both i-DSI & VTEC) from Honda.
The Truly Amazing Honda Fit/Jazz
Thanks a bunch for the link. Its great ! Never before have I got so much of an insight into the VTEC engine which I always hanker for. Thanks once again.
Old 1st March 2007, 08:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Superb article msdivy.... Thanks for the link.
Thanks guys, I picked up the link from one of the posts here on tbhp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks