Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2020, 09:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT

Thanks to Naveen Kumar for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Naveen writes:
Quote:
My Kia Seltos gets stuck in the 2nd gear and then directly upshifts to the 4th gear. This has happened twice in past month. Similarly, while downshifting too, it goes directly to D2 from D4 and skips D3. The car doesn't go into D1 at all. Restarting the car appears to fix the issue temporarily. I'm attaching a video of the same.
blackwasp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 16:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Kia supposedly doing a recall.

https://www.thequint.com/tech-and-au...mission-issues
vikram_d is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 19:38   #48
BHPian

Just read the link shared by Vikram above. It talks about a software fix similar to the one given for the OP here. I was aghast after reading the fix for overheating of the clutch.

From the link: -

Quote:
As for heating issues in bumper-to-bumper traffic, this is a problem area for vehicles with dry-type dual-clutch automatic transmissions. Since they rely on two clutches that constantly engage and disengage alternate sets of gears (ideal for sporty driving), in heavy traffic conditions, they tend to overheat.

One way to avoid overheating is to not use the “creep” function too much. Instead wait for a gap in traffic, fully release the brake and let the car move forward in Drive mode.

If the transmission overheats and the warning light/message comes up, one needs to stop the vehicle, shift to “Park” and keep the foot on the brake while letting the engine idle. This will disengage the clutch packs and help dissipate heat.

This same trick can be used on cars like the Hyundai Venue DCT as well, which has a similar transmission.
DCT's, either its from Hyundai/KIA or the Skoda/VW seems to be not fit for us. Either we don't drive it correctly or its not fit for our Indian driving conditions. AMT's though seems to be reliable, they are Jerky. (We already have Maruti AMT woes for the discussion). The only other available AT is the CVT, with which, we can live almost peacefully.
saisree is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 20:11   #49
BHPian

DCT Issue Follow up & the LOGIC ERROR of the TCU

I got a call from the Service Manager at Incheon Kia Cochin, who then connected me to Kia HQ. He probably had pressure from above to solve the issue ASAP and rectify my complaint.

Service head for Kerala/ South gave a telephonic assurance that the current problem was a logic error with the transmission control unit (TCU).This was corrected when my car was updated. He assured me that they have fixed the issue and are rolling out an update for all DCT models.

Relieved for now.
sandygordon is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 21:26   #50
BHPian

Re: DCT Issue Follow up & the LOGIC ERROR of the TCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Relieved for now.
@Sandy.Gordon, this is good response and resolution, no doubt helped by a lot of coverage on our Team BHP and other media. Hope you, and we all who have this 1.4+DCT combination, get to enjoy it without constantly keeping an eye on that temperature gauge/gear position indicator.

Did you get the transmission temperature indicator back?

When I forwarded the Quint link (regarding recall for software update) mentioned by @vikram_d in an earlier post to my service advisor, he mentioned that the software update is only for those who have had issues with the DCT. I have not received any message from KIA either. So, will wait.
roovee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 23:11   #51
BHPian

Team, I think my post derailed this thread and we are going OT. My concern was on the DCT software fix and the fix for overheating of clutch. Can we stick to that discussion alone.

Sorry if I sound offending.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 09:25   #52
BHPian

I'm seeing a lot of articles on the web regarding the kia recall. Has anyone received any official communication from Kia? When i visited the service center yesterday, i had asked the manager and he said they are not aware of any updates.
Old 7th January 2020, 11:03   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing the earlier discussion on the KIA DCT, here is a video that explains the construction of the 6DCT to start with:

You can notice that there are two selector assemblies for the odd and even gearsets. Now, see the 7DCT and the difference in it:

If you notice, there is just one selector assembly. Also notice how complex the movement is. Its similar to the selector of a manual transmission except that the selector has to move back and forth to switch between the gear sets. Now lets move to the Germans. The 7 speed DSG has a far simpler control mechanism for the DSG and the beauty of it is that everything is in one package called the mechatronics unit. You can see how simple the construction is. Each pair of gears have its own solenoid for control and the only movement of these is back and forth.

Of course, we have had more issues reported in the DSG, but in an ideal world, there are lesser things that can go wrong in it. On the other hand, the possible advantage with the KIA DCT is that we might have child parts available for the select assembly and the clutch actuator as well as the transmission controller. In case of the VW, the entire mechatronics box has to be replaced.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 08:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks to Naveen Kumar for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
Naveen has shared a better quality video:
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 11:54   #55
SS4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of articles on the web regarding the kia recall. Has anyone received any official communication from Kia? When i visited the service center yesterday, i had asked the manager and he said they are not aware of any updates.
Just updated the System software today at Kia workshop Turbhe For out GTX+ DCT and it took around 30 minutes overall for the process.
Will update you soon if any improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskv View Post
Just updated the System software today at Kia workshop Turbhe For out GTX+ DCT and it took around 30 minutes overall for the process.
Were you facing the same issue as reported by OP?

Or was this update pushed to all the DCT owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4 View Post
Were you facing the same issue as reported by OP?

Or was this update pushed to all the DCT owners?
Yes this is regarding the same issue with respect to the DCT gearbox not functioning properly.

When contacted the service advisor, they took the System report analysis and further advised to take a video footage when facing the issue, other than this nothing was helpful from their side.

I personally faced the twice, both of them after trying to attempt a steep climb and 5 minutes later the issue is seen where The third gear doesn't lock and jumps directly to the FOURTH gear from SECOND when revved hard.

Just got the fix done today morning. The fix is for all the DCT users as per the service advisor here at KIA workshop.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th February 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Spacing
SS4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 17:24   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
DCT's, either its from Hyundai/KIA or the Skoda/VW seems to be not fit for us. Either we don't drive it correctly or its not fit for our Indian driving conditions. AMT's though seems to be reliable, they are Jerky. (We already have Maruti AMT woes for the discussion). The only other available AT is the CVT, with which, we can live almost peacefully.

This is the reason I vouch for TC based AT. Nothing can beat its simple and robust construction (which is by design). DCT, AMT tries to replicate the behavior of TC; which is the main problem area.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 10:08   #57

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindkumarp View Post
Glad to hear there is a fix for the issue, and hope it fixes it.

Got an SMS from KIA yesterday to update software on my 7 DCT, and got it done today. As you mentioned the temperature gauge vanished.

But I was able to set it back again using the setup key ( the steel knob under the temperature/tyre pressure display button). Looks like the temperature guage is not the default display after the update. You might want to check.
Hey aravindkumarp,

I'm having trouble finding the transmission temperature gauge after the system update as you mentioned, could you or anyone just guide me in detail if possible. I've tried multiple methods but couldn't find the solution. I would be glad if someone can help me in this regard as I've a long tour planned tomorrow.

Thank You

Regards

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th February 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Removing excessive spacing
Old 13th January 2020, 18:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskv View Post
Hey aravindkumarp,

I'm having trouble finding the transmission temperature gauge after the system update as you mentioned, could you or anyone just guide me in detail if possible. I've tried multiple methods but couldn't find the solution. I would be glad if someone can help me in this regard as I've a long tour planned tomorrow.

Thank You

Regards
Sorry about the delay, here are the steps with pictures.

1. After the software update, when you toggle between the tyre pressure/compass you will see this "Accumalated Info" as the third option.

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-tbhp_seltos01.jpg

2. While on this screen (the third option), down press the silver knob shown here.

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-tbhp_seltos02.jpg

3. As you scroll, you will see other options like "Fuel Economy" etc.

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-tbhp_seltos03.jpg

4. Last option is the "Transmission Temp.".

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-tbhp_seltos04.jpg

5. When on the "Transmission Temp." screen , press the 'OK' button as shown in the picture.

Serious gearbox issue in my Kia Seltos DCT-tbhp_seltos05.jpg

Now when you toggle, you will see the Temperature Guage.
aravindkumarp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:02   #59
BHPian

Its been almost one month and 1200km and a month since the update. No further issues noted. No skipping of gears. DCT is working well. Hope there won't be such an issue anymore. Fingers crossed.
sandygordon is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:15   #60
BHPian

Re: DCT Gearbox issue: Follow up from Kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
...Kia has received up to 3 to 4 concerns regarding this behavior by the DCT gearbox. They are of the opinion that this is a software issue and has been addressed in the patch update rolled out for DCT models.
============================

Hope this is a software glitch. Fingers crossed

How is the vehicle after software update? Did you face any heating issues after that?

Have you gotten your temperature gauge back ? Any further info from Kia on this?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th February 2020 at 12:22. Reason: trimmed quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks