Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:35   #1
BHPian

Swift scratched while parking in Pune...need paint spray

Alas I scratched my Swift two days back while parking it between two pillars....

The damage is minor..only a inch long faint scratch on the bulge of metal on left front wheel...

Where can I get 'Silky Sliver' paint spray to do touchup...I stay in Pune
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dont bothe with canned spray p[aints as you will never find an exact colour match. If the scratch is minor then i recommend you try and find a nail polish which mathces that colour and use that. i have used this trick quite effectively.

Note: Thsi method only works on very small and shallow scratches.
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nopes, don't even think of using those spray cans.Use them and it would look even worse.Am the living testimony here .Try what Vikram_D said should help.
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:21   #4
BHPian

interestin!! hey abhay if u find a close shade do let me know as i need a few small touchups on my silver swift too! yeah lets make this the official nailpolish shade thread!!
lol lol lol!! it would seem like major deficiency of testoserone !!!
discussing nailpaint shades on a car enthusiast forum!!
well i guess thats the kind of love we have for our cars we would never even assist a girl buying nailpaint but for our cars sure lets go shoppin for nailpaint!!! hahahaha
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

My maruti service guys touches up using the same shade for free whenever i give it for service. He generally has a small tin of all the colours for this. If he has run out of it he just takes my fuel lid out and matches according to that colour for a fresh batch.

Even my lancer service guys touch up for free.
Old 4th March 2007, 00:02   #6
BHPian

While i am not suggesting using the Spray can Paint directly, You can use the Spray Can paint and a Artist brush and touch up. I.e spray the paint into a small container and use the artist brush to touch up. Reason being you can get a closer match to the paint as most of these spary can paint companies have swatches closer to the OEM paint

Regards
Old 4th March 2007, 01:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
i recommend you try and find a nail polish which mathces that colour and use that. i have used this trick quite effectively.

Nail polish?!

Sweetheart, will a lip liner and gloss do while you're at it?

On a far more serious note, just get it touched up at the service station when you leave it for service. They actually use paint.

Last edited by theMAG : 4th March 2007 at 01:11.
Old 4th March 2007, 12:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
interestin!! hey abhay if u find a close shade do let me know as i need a few small touchups on my silver swift too! yeah lets make this the official nailpolish shade thread!!
lol lol lol!! it would seem like major deficiency of testoserone !!!
discussing nailpaint shades on a car enthusiast forum!!
well i guess thats the kind of love we have for our cars we would never even assist a girl buying nailpaint but for our cars sure lets go shoppin for nailpaint!!! hahahaha

haha, seems I will have to do R&D in my wife's makeup box then..

On a serious note, Maruti guys has done some touchup for free. He rubbed the area with rubbing polish and then apply some dots of paint using strand of cloth. It's almost unnoticeable to other...but for me I can figure it out from a mile !!

I will suggest you to take your Swift to Maruti guys..
Old 5th March 2007, 14:50   #9
BHPian

You could wipe the scrath with Terpentine,if its some whitewash stuff stuck on ur car,then it could get cleaned and ur original color wold be back a bit.Plz check with others before doing this.My service guy did this with my car for a scratch.
Old 5th March 2007, 15:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
My maruti service guys touches up using the same shade for free whenever i give it for service.

Something free from Maruti in Bangalore

I got to Sagar, and i get such shocking quotes, that i stopped asking.

Cheers
Ajay
Old 5th March 2007, 16:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts are different..
Just dont bother about fixing it. Kinda hard initially but you will come to terms with it sooner than later.
Old 5th March 2007, 16:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Laugh all you want but you'll be surprised at how effective nail polish is. Try the touch up method by paint using a brush and see the results for yourself.
Old 5th March 2007, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

But Vikram doesnt nail polish peel off after sometime?Just as it happens in case of the finger nails..
I have found this method to be more effective.Try getting the exact shade of paint and then use a brush to apply it only the damaged part.@least doesnt look as bad as using the spray cans.
Old 5th March 2007, 17:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

You can use a brush with normal paint but you will never get that metallic effect as you need a clear coat for the metallic effect to show up. Even on solid colours a brush job will appear to be dull when compared to polished surface around it. And no nail polish does not peel off. Plus it is only for a small scratch. And you'll be surprised at the shades of nail polish available today. You will definitely find a nail polish that will match almost any vehicle colour that we have.

I have used this method quite effectively. I just ask my wife to go and buy what shade needed and it works very well.

PS: Nail polish peels off from fingers due to normal wear and tear that the nails go through.

Last edited by vikram_d : 5th March 2007 at 17:08.
Old 5th March 2007, 17:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

mods please rename this thread `how to apply nailpolish......on your car`
and then just watch the thread grow

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 5th March 2007 at 17:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks