Team-BHP - Which is more effective Turbocharger or Supercharger ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Which is more effective Turbocharger or Supercharger ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/2184-more-effective-turbocharger-supercharger-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 446656)
Looks like you do it everywhere, why is Mclaren blaming me for it then??rl:

No one is blaming anyone. I just replied to your statement. Not to the argument that was going on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 446656)
Looks like you do it everywhere, why is Mclaren blaming me for it then??rl:

Oye.. dont misinterpret here.. In the previous post i have made this remark to what Mclaren asked me...and no one is blaming you here.. Dont get too concious :D

Godfather

a supercharger can be to vary the boost pressure just change the pulley size.
a supercharger can actually stay constant at engine rpms so a properly tunned would actually not need a change of pulley and can be controlled by controlling the engine rpm.

By the way guys you can use boost controllers with superchargers too.

Here is a small extract:

"TRD decided to design the supercharger kit with an electronic boost controller--basically an electronic actuator for the standard Eaton bypass valve, which works like a wastegate, dumping boost at two critical points: one, between shifts and two, when the ECU goes into rev-limiter mode."

TRD Supercharged Camry Solara - Sport Compact Car Web

Why Turbo's are better:

1) Lower temps on the air intake
2) Boost to full quicker
3) More efficient in power conversion (72 to 88% as compared to 67% of a supercharger)

Why SC's are better:
1) Earier to install
2) Linear Power - Easier Driving
3) Linear Power - Easier tuning

Okay, good discussion along with some stone throwing inbetween, so which Indian cars/vehicles come with turbo and superchargers, can we create a list. I am sure it will be a small one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 447347)
so which Indian cars/vehicles come with turbo and superchargers, can we create a list. I am sure it will be a small one.

Indian vehicles that come stock with a turbo are the Diesel CRDi engines..
like Scorpio, safari, Viva Crdi, etc,

No Indian cars come with a supercharger.. except for the Mercs..if you can call them Indian.

Godfather

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 447651)
No Indian cars come with a supercharger.. except for the Mercs..if you can call them Indian.

Godfather

Sure, they're Indian. Like I'm African from a million years back

the new srv is sced isnt it and t sc is it using.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan (Post 447695)

nai its not.. Its just an option offered from the company itself and it also voids the warranty..lol

Godfather

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan (Post 447695)

I dont think its any-charged. You might have gotten confused with a Chevrolet India-driven supercharged SRV concept/kit they'd displayed in a Mumbai autoshow while adding that that kit will void their own company warranty !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 447651)
Indian vehicles that come stock with a turbo are the Diesel CRDi engines..
like Scorpio, safari, Viva Crdi, etc,

Godfather

Also the Verna CRDi VGT, I have read some good reviews about this small Diesi, 1.5 ltr, 110 bhp, 24 Kgm torque sounds too good to be true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho (Post 447186)
"TRD decided to design the supercharger kit with an electronic boost controller--basically an electronic actuator for the standard Eaton bypass valve, which works like a wastegate, dumping boost at two critical points: one, between shifts and two, when the ECU goes into rev-limiter mode."

This is only for the TRD supercharger kit right? Can you buy a generic SC boost controller? I remember seeing an ad for a JR piece, but I can't find any info on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho (Post 447186)
Why Turbo's are better:

1) Lower temps on the air intake

How is that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 447667)
Like I'm African

You look it.

Someone from the initial posts had said that turbo chargers do not require energy .. Whoever he is ,he is a wise man .

As per physics ,without consuming any energy ,how can a turbo spin byitself ?(I do understand that it spins because of spent gases )

Well, you may argue , the turbo spins through exhaust gases ,but for the pressure to build up for the turbo to start spinning , plus to drive the oil pump there is energy spent .

Also , does the turbo not block the exhaust or hamper the free flow ?Does this not reduce the engine power ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatmana2000 (Post 493810)
Someone from the initial posts had said that turbo chargers do not require energy .. Whoever he is ,he is a wise man .

As per physics ,without consuming any energy ,how can a turbo spin byitself ?(I do understand that it spins because of spent gases )

Well, you may argue , the turbo spins through exhaust gases ,but for the pressure to build up for the turbo to start spinning , plus to drive the oil pump there is energy spent .

Also , does the turbo not block the exhaust or hamper the free flow ?Does this not reduce the engine power ?

firstly turbo by definition is a super charger.both of them pump air to the engine.

the turbo runs on waste gases emitted fro the engine.s/c runs of a belt which is connected to the engine crank which in turn robs the engine of its power.

but not much as power is lost with a t/c which i lost with a s/c.

also i heard that they put refrigerate coils in between the s/c and the intake to lower the temp.especially for a root type.

Hi Team,

I want to know which is best, Supercharger or turbocharger?

I have heard that Supercharge is an advanced technology and turbo is a family member of Supercharger.I want to know which would be best for a normal car. What is the major difference in the technology?

I have heard a lot of turbocharger but very less about the Supercharger car’s.

Is there any major difference in the power between these two?