Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2007, 13:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

I mentioned them in same line, as the transmission check would also include clutch cable check.
Its better to go to the local repair guy if he is good. Tata people can fix only obvious problems, for anything even mildly complicated you need to tell them explicitly.

Case in point, my indica was taking air due to faulty hand plunger, the tata guy said maybe the fuel pump needs overhaul!!

If you have a reputed local garage stick to them
Old 8th March 2007, 22:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

been to the autofin service center yesturday for the check-up of the transmission thing, after the test drive, they informed me that the shifter has worn-out and it needs to be replaced. C-mount (some thing with C- _______ ) is also worn out, it has to be replaced. To do the shifter replacement he said, the gear box has to be over-hauled. The estimate was 5,000/- , 3000/- itself for the labour charges!!!.

I felt something fishy, i called up a fellow bhpian who has few indicas in his family. on his advice, went to check with other places. first a road side fellow, he said that the bushes were worn out and it costs 80/- for the part, he didnt do to test drive though. second a tata authorised service point, they said, that this indica models have rubber parts between the lever and the gear-box, may be they were worn out and he said it would cost around 1250/- to 1500/-.

Already three different versions!!!. Later in the night spoke another garage owner, who is just an aquiantance of mine, he said if the shifter has to be replaced, it should cost me around 2,000/- !!. I am pretty sure, if would'nt have said that to make me done at his place, as he services high profile people in his garage. (there were 3 beemers 2 of them 3-series and a x-5 in his garage!!!)

Status: didnt find time to get it checked up and fix it today.
Old 9th March 2007, 09:18   #18
BHPian

wolfinstein-thats 1 neat looking indica.
kkr2k2-what about mag wheels,?will you be having them in your car?
Old 9th March 2007, 15:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... just as I thought... do you see KK? These buggers are all saying different things and quoting different prices. That is why I was so skeptical about what those buggers were telling you that day.

I think the best thing to do in this case is to go to a reputed garage with tons of experience and yet are quoting a comparatively lesser rate. One thing is sure, if they say about 7000 rupees then be assured it can only be a few thousands more in the end but will never be less.
Old 14th March 2007, 19:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

transmission bug fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think the best thing to do in this case is to go to a reputed garage with tons of experience and yet are quoting a comparatively lesser rate. One thing is sure, if they say about 7000 rupees then be assured it can only be a few thousands more in the end but will never be less.
yes, zappo.
went to a garage where my dad's office vehicle (tata sumo) goes for repair. the problem was fixed . the bush kit was replaced, part cost 100/-. some plastic clamp broke, replaced; cost - 20/-. labour charges 75/-. Total: 195/-.

but one thing i was told that this is a temporary fix. if i wanted to fix it permanently, I have to go for new shifter, which he suggested not to go for. (why do you want to spend that much money??)

getting bit busy these days, not finding enough time to get fix other things.

the tyres part???, the same garage guy looked at my tyres and said they will last for another 10,000km . That keeping in mind how the car is driven. (its already 54,500 km on the odo and some tread is left). I shall put some pics of the tyres here may be tomarrow, so that i can get some feed back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
kkr2k2-what about mag wheels,?will you be having them in your car?
no buddy, no bling bling on our indica. the car will also be driven my dad.
not going for mags, i think they are expensive than regular alloys. i am interested in going for plain alloys, may be used ones (if any of our team-bhpians is selling them for low cost??? ... )

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th March 2007 at 19:19.
Old 15th March 2007, 14:57   #21
BHPian

Hey kkr good to see that you got your nagging gear shift problem fixed... Well if it didnt take too much time to get it done I don't see why you should spend a whole load of money on it. <Rs.200/- anytime it bothers you again seems like a bargain... Happy driving

zappo: good on ya mate to have given him good ad=vice so he could save up some money for some more of that banana tecquila which you missed out on, for the next meet on after all Guru dakshina chaahiye naa...

Last edited by suren181 : 15th March 2007 at 14:59.
Old 15th March 2007, 20:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
zappo: good on ya mate to have given him good ad=vice so he could save up some money for some more of that banana tecquila which you missed out on, for the next meet on after all Guru dakshina chaahiye naa...
. stick to the topic. (though another banana teq is on its way )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks