Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2007, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

giving new life to my indica

hey bhpians,

inspired by our fellow bhpian sam kapasi, who gave a good treatment for his lancer on completing 4 years:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post359826
me too want to give a nice treatment for my indica.

here are the details of my indica:
  • 2003 indica V2 DLS,
  • odo: 54,000 km,
  • tyres: stock tyres nearing their end,
  • wheels: stock rims,
  • servicing done at 52,000 km with wheel allignment and wheel balancing; replaced front brake pads.
  • ICE: pioneer DEH-P7450MP, 300W coaxials in the rear, 100W in the front.
  • FE: 14 kmpl with AC(70-80%) in the city, 19kmpl with AC(90%) on highway.
  • headlights: stock.
  • no-fog lamps.
  • full body paint job in dec. 2006.
here are the things which i am looking forward to do:
  • tyres: upgrade to a set with out hampering the ride, comfort and Fuel Efficiency.
  • wheels: change to alloys after all the things are done just before selecting the tyres if the moolah permits.
  • there are some creeking sonds comming in the rear may be from the deck lid, want to fix them.
  • there is a play in the transmission, want to rectify it.
  • there is a slight sound from the front, figure it out whether its from the suspension or its the same problem as the previous one and fix it accordingly.
  • Performance, didnt quite like it in city driving with AC in the first and second gear, would like to increase the low end pulling power. So what will help?? Performance filter or porting or polishing might help with out comprosmising on the fuel efficiency. May be upgrading the fuell injectors might help. (does this help, with out decreasing the FE??)
  • liquids: guys need your help here.
  • oil flushing, go for semi-synthetic oil. (can i go for it for a deisel)
  • ICE: add an amp, a sub and a CD-changer if the CD-changer can support MP3 playback; put an external radio antenna.(manual)
  • the paint job was the poorest of all, may i can do a better job!!, will beat the $*it out of the service center guys and get it re-done.
  • there are some scratches around fix them up.
  • not happy with the current set of headlights, upgrade them too.
  • the current floor mats are not covering the entire floor properly, so change them too.
  • underbody anit-rust treatement.
  • clean the interiors with shampoo.(i think there is a 3M treatement for it)
  • fog lamps, never thought we need them here in our place. but yesturday, we were almost hit by an octavia comming in the wrond direction on national highway.
If I have missed anything, i could look into, please let me know guys.
Also can I know the costs involved for the total treatement. For the alloys and tyres, not looking for anything this great looking or stunning thing, for me its function preceeds style.
Old 5th March 2007, 10:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Here you go
1. Tyres: Potenza GIII 185/60R13. Perfect upgrade. No speedo errors, no problems, perfect functional upgrade. If you don't want directional, Goodyear Ducaro is a good tyre, don't know wether they make them now. Stick to 13 inchers.
2. Rear seat creaks. Get that checked.
3. Gear lever bushkit get worn out around 40-50K, you will have to get that checked. Ditto for the clutch cable.
4. Get the ball joint(Steering checked), its two of them R and L. Another culprit could be engine bedding, or fan bearing.
5.Nothing much can be done for performance, the only minor mod is a performance filter and/or free flow. Fuel pump setting also plays a major role.
6.Castrol edge will cost you around 2200rs. You can go for a higher grade mineral oil (API-CG,CH,CI instead of API-CF). Cost will be around 700rs. BP(MAK) makes an API-CI oil but not available easily
7.Go for 100/90 with Relay. Narva is good if you want white light, otherwise go for Osram silverstar or hella gold(these give yellow light though)
8.Interiors : Get them dry cleaned. Cost=500rs.
9. Fog lamps will not take care of octavias, for that buy a tempo traveller. Get OEM ones if you need them. I guess yours is the indica which has fog lamp enclosures
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2007, 11:29   #3
BHPian

I agree with Tsk for the Potenza G3(Tubeless), They will serve well with your new alloys.

If you don't want to splurge too much on the Engine Oil, Rather go for GTD Magnatec from Castrol which is Semi-Synthetic and will cost around 800 for 4 Ltrs.

The Rear Parcel Tray can be replaced with an MDF wooden tray so as for a perfect fit, No squeeks anymore..!

New Mats will cost around 300, Just bought mine a few weeks back.

Also Along with Engine Flushing, Replace the Plugs, Brake Oil, Transmission Fluid ( Once you get the Play Rectified)-If these have been done on your last service you may leave it.

Also Get the Throttle Body Cleaned. And get the Fuel Tank Cleaned along with New Fuel Lines( Only if you suspect the quality of Diesel + have been driving too much on Highways)

Brake Pads changed and Disc Polished.

I agree normal Foglamps from Minda OEM will cost around 1000 and are pretty sufficient.

For Performance mods you could go for a Free Flow Exhaust System which will be in the range of 8000-12000, KN Filter ( I don't know if it will improve performance or not).

For Body Mods, You can replace the Headlights+ Taillamps with the New Indica V2 2007 Model, Even the Bumper is a direct fit with the New Mesh Grill and Sleek Look. This should cost around 7 K.( The clear lamp of the New Headlights will improve the Light dispersion and Brighten things better + Look better too, Same goes for the Tail Lamps they appear better and brighter)

@ Tsk, Sir When we do have the Next Meet in Delhi- Can I check out the Narva Lamps.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 5th March 2007 at 11:38.
Old 5th March 2007, 12:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Here you go
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
....If you don't want to splurge too much on the Engine Oil, Rather go for GTD Magnatec from Castrol which is Semi-Synthetic and will cost around 800 for 4 Ltrs.

For Performance mods you could go for a Free Flow Exhaust System which will be in the range of 8000-12000, KN Filter ( I don't know if it will improve performance or not).

.... replace the Headlights+ Taillamps with the New Indica V2 2007 Model, Even the Bumper is a direct fit with the New Mesh Grill and Sleek Look. This should cost around 7 K.( The clear lamp of the New Headlights will improve the Light dispersion and Brighten things better + Look better too, Same goes for the Tail Lamps they appear better and brighter)
thanx a ton tsk and wolfinstein.

Castrol...., is it made of castor-seed-oil ???

yes, i wil go with a new head-light set with that of the new indica v2. thats what i have been adviced by the service advisor too.

its a deisel my dear friend, with a free flow, wont it scare $*it out of everybody also will the car run clean with a freeflow w.r.t pollution.

any idea about the cost of the potenza tyres mentioned above?? i have been thinking about JK, as the current set lasted for 54,000km.
also the suitable alloys, plain simple alloys, no bling bling at all.
Old 5th March 2007, 12:43   #5
BHPian

Castor Seed..! I really Don't know..lol

Ya the lights will go good, But replace the tail lamps also ( BTW which lights are you going with The V2 Clear type or the v2 2007 Clear Jewel Type, Also Since they will have the Headlight Adjuster system, You will need to install the switch and wiring to your dashboard, Or you can leave it set at one level)

Thats for you to take a call on..! ( Free Flow)

Potenza G3 tyres are great for all weather conditions and are tubeless so Almost no punctures ( I have G3 Tubeless in my Lancer, with 1 puncture in 1.6 years @ 12000 Km after new tyres) Infact once the Apollo wear out on my Indica XETA, I will also go for Potenza G3 and New set of alloys..something like this..! ( This is a Modded Indica done by Arush-Autopsyche) The alloys look great..!

On the pricing, The Potenza G3 costed me Rs 4000 +- @ 5 Tyres minus Discount on old tyres, but that was in 2005, I don't have the current price, TSK might provide you that bit. ( Mine were Tyres for the Lancer Sports-I'm sure they are priced much below for the Indica)

Last edited by wolfinstein : 5th March 2007 at 12:49.
Old 5th March 2007, 13:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Castor Seed..! I really Don't know..lol

...BTW which lights are you going with The V2 Clear type or the v2 2007....

....The Potenza G3 costed me Rs 4000 +- @ 5 Tyres minus Discount on old tyres,
yes, castrol buys castor oil but dont know whether it is used as the main ingrediant. I heard from a three wheeler manufacturer that it is the best lubricant.

will be going for the headlight which comes with out the leveler. i think 90/100 is the best one, because on the highway with heavy vehicles comming in you will be blinded partially.

just 4000/- for 5 used tyres??? , man i think i must seriously look around for those.
how many kms were done by those before you bought them?
I am looking to run the indica for another 20,000 to 30,000 km before upgrading to a sedan.
Old 5th March 2007, 13:36   #7
BHPian

The Headlight leveller is a motor fitted on the Lamp assembly itself, I think Post 2005 It was not available in the clear type lamps, But after BS3 norms it is made standard and enforced by Law, The 100/90 you're talking of is the Wattage Power of the Bulbs, I suggest you get New Headlights and Upscale the Bulbs accordingly, But do keep in mind the more powerful bulb you have the more Haziness risk for your new headlights and the oncoming traffic will have difficulties + Law recommends 60/55w bulbs.

The tyres now, It costed me Rs.3760(After Discount, Otherwise 4000 per tyre) for each tyre ( I bought 5) and I got around 1200 rupees off for my old tyres( 5 old Bridgestone OEM Potenza)
So I paid Rs.18,800 for 5 new Bridgestone Potenza G3 Tubless with 2 Free Balancing and Alignment Service for One year.

The OEM Bridgestone on my Lancer lasted us 50,000 Km with no issues except punctures post 30 K mark. I have been using Potenza G3 on the Lancer now for around 1.6 years and 12,000 km with No issues.
Bridgestone makes great all road tyres, although they become noisy at around 35,000 KM Tread mark..! But It really does not work as a disadvantage for the Superior performance they give..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 5th March 2007 at 13:39.
Old 5th March 2007, 14:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Castrol is mineral oil.
As for magnetic, its API-CF, not the API-CG which many other brands have, like shell.
but since its magnetic, its supposed to be good for engine as you escape morning start damage.
As for bridgestone tyre noise, anybody who worried about tire noise on an Indica needs help.
As for potenza's they will cost you 4000/tire. You can get around 300rs discount/old tire.
As for free flow, it will make quite a din,but you get more power right. There is no free lunch so lose some and win some.

About the narva's you can check them out, but I suggest go to a dealer, fit various brands and see what is best for you.
My indica has fresnel type headlamp glass(non clear) so what works for me may not work for you.
For more tips, there is an auto lighting thread which has loads of info.
Old 5th March 2007, 15:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Also Along with Engine Flushing, Replace the Plugs, Brake Oil, Transmission Fluid ( Once you get the Play Rectified)-If these have been done on your last service you may leave it.

Also Get the Throttle Body Cleaned. And get the Fuel Tank Cleaned along with New Fuel Lines( Only if you suspect the quality of Diesel + have been driving too much on Highways)
@Wolfinstein: Dude, dont take this the wrong way.
But, u dont know the difference between petrol engines and diesel engines and u're giving advice!
Pls dont make the mistake next time,bro.

Last edited by nitrous : 5th March 2007 at 15:15.
Old 5th March 2007, 23:32   #10
BHPian

@ Nitrous..! Sorry Bhai..what I meant was Glow Plugs..! and The Throttle, I don't know if it does exist in a Diesel,,I thought it must be generic..!
My Uno D have something Similar to the Throttle so thats where the confusion was..! But I guess Kk got the point..!

Of course I do know what a D and P engines are..! Just not all mechanism of the former..! lol

Hey Kk do post us the pics once you finalize everything..!
Old 6th March 2007, 09:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Why change the glow plugs if they are fine. All they do is heat up engine before start, and if they are fine, let them be. Usually they last around 50K and die slowly. There is lot of indication by way of longer cranking etc.,
Old 6th March 2007, 09:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Law recommends 60/55w bulbs.
is it illegal for a indica to use 100/90 W bulbs, service advisor at autofin advised me to go for 100/90.
Old 6th March 2007, 10:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
You can get around 300rs discount/old tire.
Hey tsk, What is this discount? Do we get this only when there is some life left in the tires?

Thanks,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 6th March 2007 at 10:23. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 6th March 2007, 10:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
is it illegal for a indica to use 100/90 W bulbs, service advisor at autofin advised me to go for 100/90.
100/90W is illegal as per Indian law. Infact these bulbs clearly mention(if they are from reputed manufacturers) that these are not street legal. But many people get these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Hey tsk, What is this discount? Do we get this only when there is some life left in the tires?

Thanks,
Su-47
Unless your tires are completely bald you will get around 300/tire for your old tires.
Old 6th March 2007, 12:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

bakra kisthon mein katenga

ok guys,
thats a long list of things to be done on my car. breaking the things-up into small jobs.
first part starting from tomarrow.

Quote:
3. Gear lever bushkit get worn out around 40-50K, you will have to get that checked. Ditto for the clutch cable.
4. Get the ball joint(Steering checked), its two of them R and L. Another culprit could be engine bedding, or fan bearing.
first, getting the gear shift bush-kit checked and also the head light thing, shall go for the clear-lens lamp indica v2 headlight assembly. will go for 60/55 as 100/90 is said to be illegal. shall put the pics of new headlights

@tsk,
why did you mention clutch cable in the same point as the gear level bush-kit. can it could be the culprit too.

i think the ball-joint also needed to be checked, as i see the steering is tilting towards the left.

one more thing, few months ago, there was a coolant leakage, took the car to a reputed local repair guy, first his assistant checked some housing saying the housing has to be replaced later the master said it can be fixed - tightened some screws, voila no more leakages till date, but he commented, the screws cannot be tightened if it happens again. But would like to get that checked too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks