Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 13:11   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues

So my ordeal with Hyundai continues. First, it was the pathetic service experiences (multiple times) at Popular Hyundai, then the ABS error incident on my Creta (thread here) that lead to an accident and now the V belt snapping.

I know this won't be the first incident reported on TeamBHP but what bothers me are these:
1) Car is just 3 years old and clocked only 15k kms. The belt was replaced when I gave the car for service last week (they noticed some wear so recommended me to replace it).

The bill clearly shows the date, mileage and the part

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-img20200225wa0004.jpg

Now for the best part,
2) With the new belt put on Tuesday (18th Feb), the belt snaps on 22nd Feb!. Here's how the story unfolded:

Car was brought back from service on Tuesday evening. It was a pleasant experience here and I had just serviced my Creta here a week before. i10 is not taken out daily (the odometer says it all). On Saturday, my wife took the car to visit her client. After meeting her client, while walking back to the car she noticed some leak under the car. Assuming that it was from the AC, she drives back. Heard some sort of weird noise while driving but couldn't make out from where it was coming. Also noticed the battery light on. She called me and recited the entire incident and also shared the photo of leak.
Realized that it was the engine oil and I asked her to drive back home immediately.

Photo of oil leak that was first spotted

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-img20200222wa0014.jpg

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-img20200222wa0015.jpg

I get back home, on seeing the battery warning light I doubted whether it was a blown fuse. The DRL, AC and the tail light wasn't working. But a blown fuse won't justify the oil leak. Opened the bonnet and saw the belt all tangled up. Immediately called up the HASS and asked to tow the vehicle the next day. Gets the belt replaced and topped up the engine oil.

Snapped Belt

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-img20200224wa0014.jpg

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-img20200224wa0015.jpg

Amount of oil that managed to leak

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-img20200224wa0010.jpg

It was a manufacturing defect that caused the belt to break. So am guessing all i10's manufactured at this time should have a defective belt. My advise would be for everyone with an i10 to get this checked.

My after sales experience with Hyundai is definitely on a downhill even though the new service station is pretty satisfying and the cars are really good. It's the support from Hyundai that's lacking. They haven't reached me directly to my question on the pathetic dealership experience at Popular, ABS Error. Lost hope so not going to bother asking about this. Glad that we now have one less Hyundai in the garage (Verna finds another poor guy ).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2020 at 13:26. Reason: Added link to Creta braking issue thread for reader reference.
naveen.raju is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 13:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues

From where did the oil leak? Did the HASS give an explanation as to why the oil leakage happened because of the broken belt.

This looks like case of defective part. I would suggest you do not think about it too much and put it as a one off incident. Hope they covered the replacement under part warranty
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 13:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues

That is very weird. It might be a manufacturing defect, but I somehow doubt that. I would really check where that oil leakage is coming from. That is not just a few drops. So something else is amiss.

If a belt snaps so quickly, maybe a defect, but I would suspect something else. Was it properly installed to start with, anything out of alignment on the various belt drives / pulley. Maybe oil squirted on the belt, caused it to start slipping, heats builds up and it snaps?

Almost definitely something else is going on, I am afraid!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:55   #4

Re: Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues

I've seen oil leaks like this after services twice before in different cars - Both cases being because of the replacement oil filter being incorrectly or loosely installed. You're lucky to have spotted it and resolved before the sump ran dry.

As for the snapped belt, do you know for a fact that it was indeed replaced? Fairly easy for someone to have missed it during service (without any malice or intent to cheat). A work out part just gave way. Else its definitely installation error or a manufacturing defect.
xanthor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:55   #5
BANNED

Oil has leaked from one of those oil seals and that oil would have come in contact with the belt caused it to slip and shred.

Check the oil seals near the belt and on all pulleys.
a4anurag is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 17:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From where did the oil leak? Did the HASS give an explanation as to why the oil leakage happened because of the broken belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is very weird. It might be a manufacturing defect, but I somehow doubt that. I would really check where that oil leakage is coming from. That is not just a few drops. So something else is amiss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthor View Post
I've seen oil leaks like this after services twice before in different cars - Both cases being because of the replacement oil filter being incorrectly or loosely installed. You're lucky to have spotted it and resolved before the sump ran dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Oil has leaked from one of those oil seals and that oil would have come in contact with the belt caused it to slip and shred.
When the belt snapped, the oil seal was damaged. The oil leaked from there. This was also replaced free of cost.

When I first gave my car to the service here, I had already warned them about the incident that happened at the earlier dealership and also told them that each and every minute work/problem will be updated on TeamBHP.

So many hate comments against Hyundai reminds me of Kunal Kamra. One day I will be banned as well (I don't actually mind that since I have decided not to purchase any cars from Hyundai ever again. One Hyundai leaving from our garage is a sign )
naveen.raju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 17:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
When the belt snapped, the oil seal was damaged. The oil leaked from there. )
We will never know, but the other way round seems more likely to me. Oil seal starts leaking, oil sprays on the belt, the belts starts slipping, heats up, frays en snaps. As long as it is all repaired properly should not be a problem.

Other than you could do without this sort of stuff on (relative) new cars. Spoils the enjoyment and the confidence)

Jeroen

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th February 2020 at 18:12. Reason: Typo edited mee - me
Jeroen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 18:15   #8
BHPian

Similar incident happened to my colleague around a month back.
He had started his Xcent from his home to reach the office.
Around a KM from the home, he heard a noise (like a stone hitting the car's bottom) & warning lights started to show up on the dash.
Sensing something's wrong, he took the car back to home & saw oil dripping from the engine.

A technician from HASS came to his house and quickly shown him the snapped V-Belt.
It was changed at the HASS. But what he thought was oil, was actually the coolant.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 19:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car is just 3 years old and clocked only 15k kms.

The belt was replaced when I gave the car for service last week (they noticed some wear so recommended me to replace it).

With the new belt put on Tuesday (18th Feb), the belt snaps on 22nd Feb!.
I doubt neither the oil seal nor the belt. Neither of them can wear out or fail so fast.

All was well till the belt was replaced. Right?

Something went wrong during the " service".

Oil on the belt is likely to cause slippage and friction leading to heating. The oil could be from even a loose oil filter.

I strongly recommend to start the engine, and observe the belt, pulleys, and the area behind to see if all is well.

Look out for resistance offered by pulleys or for any squealing noise.

Last edited by vigsom : 26th February 2020 at 19:35. Reason: Addition
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 16:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Took a look at a Grand i10 that had, coincidentally done 15000kms.

1. First inspected the belt layout - it connects the engine crankshaft pulley to the water pump/tensioner, the alternator(at the top) and the AC compressor (below the alternator).

2. The oil filter is located below the engine and far away from these pulleys; so oil from the filter causing the belt to slip is ruled out.

3. The only place where the belt could have been wrongly fitted is on the water pump/tensioner pulley as shown. There are well defined grooves on the alternator, AC compressor and crank pulleys.

Brand New V Belt snaps in Grand i10 - My ordeal with Hyundai continues-p_20200227_153353_1.jpg

Me thinks the oil seal could have failed only if it was accidentally punctured by a sharp tool(screwdriver) during belt replacement.
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 17:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So many hate comments against Hyundai reminds me of Kunal Kamra. One day I will be banned as well (I don't actually mind that since I have decided not to purchase any cars from Hyundai ever again. One Hyundai leaving from our garage is a sign )

Grass is always greener on the other side . We don't have much choices here in India. Toyota is probably the only manufacturer that is capable of offering better experience than Hyundai.
padmrajravi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 11:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all - best thing is that these failures cased no harm to anyone. Everything & everyone is safe!
Quote:
It was a manufacturing defect that caused the belt to break. So am guessing all i10's manufactured at this time should have a defective belt. My advise would be for everyone with an i10 to get this checked.
Most likely yes - it would be a manufacturing defect. But I have had a situation like this some months back, not due to manufacturing defect.

Keep an eye for black tiny plastic/polymer bits under the car in your usual parking space for some days. The belt for AC Compressor in my brand new Nexon snapped within 2 months of delivery as soon as I cranked the engine to leave for office. Opened the bonnet & saw that the belt for alternator also had some damage on the edge. Upon checking under the car saw these tiny bits scattered. It was rat damage. This polymer belt when brand new seems to be some sort of a delicacy or premium quality dental floss for rats! I have seen rats getting attracted to bite it a lot on other cars also over last few years.

Tata replaced both belts under goodwill warranty - since it was actually not something to be covered under warranty at all in reality. Been going to the same place for 10 years now and these are the small perks of it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd March 2020 at 12:09. Reason: As requested
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed