Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2007, 13:30   #1
BHPian

Air-Con for 1987 Premier Padmini?

I have a 1987 Premier Padmini. I want to install an air-con in it. The engine is in pretty good condition as the car has clocked only 60,000 odd kilometers in the last 20 years.

Any ideas what air-cons available in the market can be adapted for the Premier Padmini? Where can I find a blower unit that can be adapted to my car?

I want to do this before the onset of summer, so any ideas, suggestions will be helpful.

- NewCoolGadgets
Old 8th March 2007, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

if yu know an a/c guy get a second hand national if he can get his hands on one. These guys give a guarantee for it and ive already tried this in two of my cars. The cars became junk but the a/c was super. It will be cheap and goos and if u get a new one it just might cost more than the car itself
Old 8th March 2007, 14:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
if yu know an a/c guy get a second hand national if he can get his hands on one. These guys give a guarantee for it and ive already tried this in two of my cars. The cars became junk but the a/c was super. It will be cheap and goos and if u get a new one it just might cost more than the car itself
Theres this shop at chor bazaar, which stocks everything in car a/cs. and our dear Deepak Chopra used to pick up his national blowers and sanden compressors with 6 month warranties from him!!!
should be still there, just a lil searching reqd
Old 8th March 2007, 14:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Compressor- Sanden 505(better suited) or 507(better cooling with a little additional load on the engine)
Blower- Unicla Superking or National (you are more likely to get a unicla in goodshape)
Condensor - Sanden aluminium core.
An entire used kit in good condition will cost you about 10K with about 4K for labour and gas.
New will be about 19K with labour being the same.
Old 8th March 2007, 14:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

my car tends to heat up at lot during summer "days"...i dont have an a/c. but national is more suited...(padminis used to come with factory fitted a/cs by PAL)...

you also need to prevent the heat from coming in from the engine bay. and make sure that windows roll up properly. and that the cold air doesnt escape from the cabin + tinted windows also help.
Old 11th March 2007, 11:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Aircon for Padmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
I have a 1987 Premier Padmini. I want to install an air-con in it. The engine is in pretty good condition as the car has clocked only 60,000 odd kilometers in the last 20 years.

Any ideas what air-cons available in the market can be adapted for the Premier Padmini? Where can I find a blower unit that can be adapted to my car?

I want to do this before the onset of summer, so any ideas, suggestions will be helpful.

- NewCoolGadgets
The SANDEN 507 compressor with a consenser and Superking evaporator coil cum-blower would suffice..as rightly pointed out by my colleagues,a second hand one would do well.

Do not,of course, forget to replace the stock radiator with a larger radiator .Please also change the radiator fan (non a/c pADMINIS USED TO HAVE FOUR BLADES,PLEAESE USE A SIX BLADE FAN).

Make sure to use rubber plugs/hitlon sheet pieces to block out the heat from the engine bay.There are a host of holes for the speedo cable,clutch lever,brake lever etc which can let in a lot of heat.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2007, 14:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

You will need an extra radiator fan with the sanden.
Our 118NE had a sanden(forget the model) and it was quite a cooler, but an extra fan was needed for the radiator.
Old 14th March 2007, 19:13   #8
BHPian

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info guys! So I guess I will go with a Sanden Compressor and Condensor and Unicla or National Blower. I think I will need to make a trip to Mumbai Chor bazaar soon.

Anyone know any place in Nagpur where I can get these parts second hand? I will keep you guys posted on the A/C install project.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks