Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 16:15   #31
kph
BHPian

Let me add the missing Disclaimer...

Never attempt this at home or anywhere else.
Old 13th March 2007, 16:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

I feel for bikes it may not matter because they don't have power brakes or steering.
Old 13th March 2007, 16:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When you go downhill with engine off, you need to use brakes to slow down, this will fade your brakes. The same way as you would go down in neutral gear.
Thats why they say use engine braking.
Doing this for a long time could cause brake failure.

Other issue of booster brakes, atleast in Indica it does not matter. As long as your are coasting above 20kmph, there is no lack of "booster". I think the reason is that the alternator belt is still spinning when the car is coasting, and indica has one belt for Alternator, Power steering and brakes.
Excuse me Senior.. How does the alternator belt Spin When coasting above 20kph.. with the Engine Off in an Indica. The Belt connected to the wheels Or the Engine???
Old 13th March 2007, 17:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

That makes me ask this serious doubt, never thought about it before-

It is obvious that when the engine is not running, brakes or steering are not going to get any boosting (assuming non-electric mechanisms like vacuum or hydraulic). But when it is 'running' it should provide boosting regardless of whether it is driven by fuel or engine-braking, right?? What I mean is, as long as you don't put the transmission in neutral while rolling down with engine off (I mean ignition off), you should not loose any mechanical boosting. Is that true?
Old 13th March 2007, 17:35   #35
BHPian

But once I had to rely on this kind of driving style on my way back from Khajiyar (I hope its correctly spelled). Actually the only petrol pump there was shut and I had to urgently drive back to Dalhousie. But rather than turning the engine off, I drove in neutral while driving down hill. So I did save fuel and reached my destination without getting stranded.

Driving with engine off is a strict No No
Old 13th March 2007, 20:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
But rather than turning the engine off, I drove in neutral while driving down hill. So I did save fuel and reached my destination without getting stranded.

Driving with engine off is a strict No No
And so is driving in Neutral because you're again going to over-strain the brakes if you do it excessively and that can again lead to a brake failure.
Old 13th March 2007, 21:57   #37
BHPian

MPFI cars are not supposed to be pushed (no or minimum dhakka). I think the situation is no different here. I am sure it is not mere braking, it may damage the engine. The fiat workshop keeps telling me do not get the car pushed if it stalls, can any knowledgeable guy throw some light on hows and whys ?
Old 13th March 2007, 22:36   #38
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
MPFI cars are not supposed to be pushed (no or minimum dhakka). I think the situation is no different here. I am sure it is not mere braking, it may damage the engine. The fiat workshop keeps telling me do not get the car pushed if it stalls, can any knowledgeable guy throw some light on hows and whys ?
As far as I know MPFI cars are not supposed to be push-started. This is what my Santro manual says too, and the reason given is that the catalytic converter can be damaged. I think any MT car can be merely pushed, as opposed to push-started. I don't know about AT cars, though.
Old 14th March 2007, 15:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

i to checked with my mechanic he said no to push start any of my car its not good for the car

And i get it i did a foolish thing but it was fun and guess what the person sittin next to me doesn't believe that the car had no engine power while coming down hehehe
Old 14th March 2007, 15:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
guess what the person sittin next to me doesn't believe that the car had no engine power while coming down hehehe
Good, and I guess he won't believe you when you tell him you have no brake power either, will he?

Last edited by iraghava : 14th March 2007 at 15:13.
Old 14th March 2007, 15:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Good, and I guess he won't believe you when you tell him you have no brake power either, will he?
if i tell her she would freak out and probably kill me

but the breaks were working properly only they were hard and the reason she isn't believing is that i over took few cars on the way
Old 14th March 2007, 15:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
if i tell her she would freak out and probably kill me
humm... so it was "she"... then frankly, I wouldn't be surprised at all
Old 7th July 2010, 18:55   #43
BHPian

Brake issue in Spark

When the car is turned off and i apply brakes the brake pedal does not depress completely. In case i am on an incline then the car drifts backwards(if hand brake is not engaged) in spite of having my foot pressed on the pedal. As soon as i start the car,the brake pads start working again. Is this normal ?

PS: This happens occasionally.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th July 2010 at 19:22. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 7th July 2010, 19:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

This is completely normal and it is dangerous to drive with the engine turned off.
Since the brakes are a hydraulic system, they function only when the ignition is turned on.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:09   #45
BHPian

IMO this has to be cause of the booster assisted braking system (self adjusting drums). These brakes derive their power from the engine and hence using them with ignition turned off could result in brake locking. More read here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks