Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 11:19   #196
BHPian

Today when I went for a service to my LPG Installer, he told that it's not possible to fit a LPG Kit to Ford cars.

So, what all cars which we cannot LPG Kit ?
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:15   #197
gaurav.28ch

CNG in Fiat Palio 1.6 - Cracking problem

Would it be advisable to fit CNG kit in Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. Have heard that CNG causes cracking/bumps. Should I go ahead with it ? Please help.

Please "search" before creating thread, there are many threads discussing CNG instal, select and appropriate thread and continue discussion.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd September 2008 at 18:20. Reason: Search

Old 25th September 2008, 11:19   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch View Post
Would it be advisable to fit CNG kit in Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. Have heard that CNG causes cracking/bumps. Should I go ahead with it ? Please help.

Please "search" before creating thread, there are many threads discussing CNG instal, select and appropriate thread and continue discussion.
What "cracking and bumps" are you talking about?
Please elaborate in detail for our better understanding and it will also help us give you a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju View Post
Today when I went for a service to my LPG Installer, he told that it's not possible to fit a LPG Kit to Ford cars.

LPG/CNG Kits can be fitted to all cars, some cars need special attention and expertise to get the settings and fitment right and most fitters wont have these so they dont even want to get their hands on these car which might be a little complicated to work on.

Last edited by GTO : 25th September 2008 at 20:12. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of typing back-to-back posts. You have been warned before.
abhik is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th October 2008, 12:11   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju View Post

1. Fords are the most complicated when we talk about fitting CNG/LPG kits. It CAN be done, but there are usually repercussions.
2. All major Indian cars can accommodate the latest LPG/CNG sequential kits.
Old 12th October 2008, 13:19   #200

some more information

LPG is available in 2 components one is butane(C4H10) other is Propane(C3H8), or combination of both. butane density is 0.57-0.58, where as
Propane 0.50-0.51. so approx 2ltr will be one KG of LPG, so Domestic cylinder is more economical.
Gasoline i.e. Petrol density is 0.71 to 0.78.
Old 12th October 2008, 18:03   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so Domestic cylinder is more economical.
Its unsafe to use a domestic LPG cylinder in a vehicle.
And it is illegal to transfer LPG from a domestic cylinder to an LPG tank in a car.
Old 12th October 2008, 18:25   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashoka View Post
LPG is available in 2 components one is butane(C4H10) other is Propane(C3H8), or combination of both. butane density is 0.57-0.58, where as
Propane 0.50-0.51. so approx 2ltr will be one KG of LPG, so Domestic cylinder is more economical.
Gasoline i.e. Petrol density is 0.71 to 0.78.
You have written economical in bold. I agree.

But you should complete the sentence- Domestic cylinder is more economical, but extremely unsafe and illegal.
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:50   #203
BHPian

I was planning for LPG, but not after the review from my friend. He had an LPG fitted Alto. After running 40K, the engine was very noisey. Even though its economical, I would not opt for a vehicle which I m planning to keep for the next 5years.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:44   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
I was planning for LPG, but not after the review from my friend. He had an LPG fitted Alto. After running 40K, the engine was very noisey. Even though its economical, I would not opt for a vehicle which I m planning to keep for the next 5years.
We had 800 5 speed, similar (not same) engine to Alto. BRC LPG fitted at 46K and run till 84K. No problems whatsoever. Similar experience with our Wagon R also.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:37   #205

Can you switch from CNG/LPG to petrol on the fly, without having to stop the car? I'm going to look at a used OHC which has recently been fitted with CNG. Any pointers on what I could look out for?
Going through the previous threads I've noted the points about bad wiring, leakage, endorsing in the RC book. Anything else?
Old 4th August 2009, 22:54   #206
BHPian

CNG Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg View Post
Can you switch from CNG/LPG to petrol on the fly, without having to stop the car? I'm going to look at a used OHC which has recently been fitted with CNG. Any pointers on what I could look out for?
Going through the previous threads I've noted the points about bad wiring, leakage, endorsing in the RC book. Anything else?
Blitzkrieg, let me try to help you with whatever info i have. Regarding your first query, yes normally there is a switch provided on the dashboard, which is used to flip between CNG/Petrol. This switch can be used while driving also & one can switch betwen CNG/Petrol.

Few Points, you can check i personally think are:
- The CNG Cylinder needs to go under a Hydraulic Stress Test once every 3 or 5 years (not sure of the year). This test is done to make sure cylinder survives extreme pressure like 190 Bar which is filled in at the CNG stations.
- CNG Kit installed must be of Authorized Kit Providers in India, if its an unauthorized one, then its a definite NO. The best you can do is get the Kit replaced. Authorized Kit Providers use genuine parts( Hopefully still ) & thus long laster & are safer also.

Hopefully this helps you in selecting a safer car.
Old 15th August 2009, 01:25   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Blitzkrieg, let me try to help you with whatever info i have. Regarding your first query, yes normally there is a switch provided on the dashboard, which is used to flip between CNG/Petrol. This switch can be used while driving also & one can switch betwen CNG/Petrol.

Few Points, you can check i personally think are:
- The CNG Cylinder needs to go under a Hydraulic Stress Test once every 3 or 5 years (not sure of the year). This test is done to make sure cylinder survives extreme pressure like 190 Bar which is filled in at the CNG stations.
- CNG Kit installed must be of Authorized Kit Providers in India, if its an unauthorized one, then its a definite NO. The best you can do is get the Kit replaced. Authorized Kit Providers use genuine parts( Hopefully still ) & thus long laster & are safer also.

Hopefully this helps you in selecting a safer car.
Thanks Saurabh. Appreciate the help. The car I saw was a OHC Vtec. The owner had installed a CNG kit (recently, according to him) but it wasn't registered in the RC book. I asked him to remove it and after getting the wiring etc. checked, I took delivery of the car. So now I'm an extremely proud owner of the car and hopefully soon will find the time to write about how much I'm growing to love the car everyday!
Old 15th August 2009, 13:32   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkrieg View Post
Thanks Saurabh. Appreciate the help. The car I saw was a OHC Vtec. The owner had installed a CNG kit (recently, according to him) but it wasn't registered in the RC book. I asked him to remove it and after getting the wiring etc. checked, I took delivery of the car. So now I'm an extremely proud owner of the car and hopefully soon will find the time to write about how much I'm growing to love the car everyday!
You are welcome & Hey Congrats for the OHC (personally i love its shape), blitzkrieg, do post some snaps & also review of how the car is doing with a new owner behind the wheels
Old 15th August 2009, 20:48   #209
BHPian

Hi all,

I have driven an ALto 1.1 on LPG for almost 4 years and sold it this month. I never faced any issues with LPG. There was hardly any difference in running on LPG or Petrol. Infact when i went for test drive of Wagon -R Duo while finalising my new car, i found that performance of Demo vehicle (Duo Wagon R) on LPG was not same as of my Alto.

Here i few points i have to make:

1. Price difference between Petrol and LPG remains 18-20 Rs per litre ( Now in Mumbai Petrol 48+/Ltr and LPG is 29+/ltr). I am using LPG in mumbai since 2005 and i have monitored it.
2. LPG is more easily available throughout India.
3. CNG is available mostly in Mumbai, Gujrat,Delhi and few other cities but not in Interior Maharashtra, MP,UP,Bihar, Jharkhand, WB and southern states.
3. Expect a mileage of 1.5 to 2 Km less than what your vehicle gives on Petrol.
4. Carboreutor vehicles have some issues related with starting of Vehicle or change over but there are no such issues with MPFI vehicle.
5. Carboreautor Ki is Cheaper than MPFI kit.

As regards maintenance/driving habits etc:

1. Use accelerator softly if you wish to achieve good mileage on LPG.
2. If running a Carboreutor vehicle use Petrol once in 15 days to Keep your fuel Pump in working condition.
3. Inspect your vehicle periodically for any leakge etc.

regards
RP
Old 5th January 2010, 11:44   #210
BHPian

Is it possible to fit CNG kit in Honda CRV or Grand Vitara?

Is there any site from where we can get information which all cars are approved for CNG.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks