Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:08   #1

Skoda Octavia vRS : Misfire detected in cylinder 2 & 3

Hello all,

I hope everyone is safe and doing well.

I own a MK1 Vrs, which I acquired a few month’s back.

The car seems to be in a good shape in terms of body and engine.

A few days back the engine malfunction light popped up and when I got it scanned, it said “ Misfire detected in cylinder 2 and 3 “

So I assume the its the ignition coils and/or the sparkplugs.

Since these parts are expensive, I wanted help as to which type of parts should I go for.

Someone suggested me to go for the Red top. ( Audi R8 ) coil pack. I’m not sure about those and whether they’re really worth it!?

Also, looking at the age of the car ( 15 years old) what all parts need to changed apart from timing belt and water pump.

Is it necessary to change the MAF, Lambda sensor?

Please share your valuable suggestions as to which parts should be changed. The car has done 78k on the odometer.

Also if any leads regarding where to source genuine spares would be great as the A.S.S takes weeks or even months to get a part.

Thank you in Advance

Stay Home Stay Safe

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th November 2020 at 01:12. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

I lived the dream and the nightmares.

It is the coil packs, never leave home without a spare. If you need want to know all about the vRS

Diagnostic guide

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...light=Achilles (Octy vRS Achilles Heels)

General Ownership

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ighlight=Beast (Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna_ksh View Post
Hello all,

A few days back the engine malfunction light popped up and when I got it scanned, it said “ Misfire detected in cylinder 2 and 3 “

Also, looking at the age of the car ( 15 years old) what all parts need to changed apart from timing belt and water pump.
Is it necessary to change the MAF, Lambda sensor?
Please share your valuable suggestions as to which parts should be changed. The car has done 78k on the odometer.
Also if any leads regarding where to source genuine spares would be great as the A.S.S takes weeks or even months to get a part.
Thank you in Advance
Stay Home Stay Safe

Last edited by ajmat : 24th May 2020 at 12:50.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 00:38   #3

re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Misfire detected in cylinder 2 & 3

Thank you so much! Shall look into it
Old 24th May 2020, 12:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Misfire detected in cylinder 2 & 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna_ksh View Post
Since these parts are expensive, I wanted help as to which type of parts should I go for.
Never assume, always diagnose and measure before starting to buy and swap (expensive) parts.

I would swap both with one of the other coils first. Check again and if the error moves accordingly to the new position you know pretty sure it is the respective coil! Easy and quickly done! Same with the plugs. Move all bits one by one to get a feel for which part is actually broken.

As you take out the sparks of course, check them visually for any obvious problems first. See if it is wet/oily/sooted.

There isn’t much you can see or check on the coils other than to swap them around and see if the error code moves with them.

Good luck.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 19:20   #5

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Misfire detected in cylinder 2 & 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Never assume, always diagnose and measure before starting to buy and swap (expensive) parts.

I would swap both with one of the other coils first. Check again and if the error moves accordingly to the new position you know pretty sure it is the respective coil! Easy and quickly done! Same with the plugs. Move all bits one by one to get a feel for which part is actually broken.

As you take out the sparks of course, check them visually for any obvious problems first. See if it is wet/oily/sooted.

There isn’t much you can see or check on the coils other than to swap them around and see if the error code moves with them.

Good luck.
Hey, I shall try this approach, definitely makes sense.
Thank you so much

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks