Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 10:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Beehive on my car - Now what?

Looks like they are resting there temporarily and should vacate as soon as they find a proper location to build the hive. But they could be a bunch without a queen bee which can act in a weird way.
If one wants to chase them, best way is to smoke them and they should disperse (no harm done)
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 12:57   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I would be more concerned about the wax and all the mess they leave behind when they leave. Since it's wax, difficult to remove using general detailing items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since this happened so fast, I was just wondering what if it had occurred on a holiday in a remote place and there was no professional help available. Would it be okay to get in from the passenger door, hit the highway and drive at 120 kmph?
Should be OK. But, you'd have to drive a long way to clear them, I guess. Also, once you are back, they will come back.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 14:06   #18
BHPian

I had a similar incident where a small hive was formed on the balcony. As I had small kid i did not take risk to drive it away using fire/smoke, instead used "HIT" spray to do the job. It was very saddening view to see the bees just dropping down dead. One can of hit and almost all the bees were dead (literally drop down dead on squirting the spray).
kozhissery is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 18:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have a building contractor, builder or a property developer known to you, they can help. Once, such a beehive had come up very near our home's entrance door (date 07.04.2018 as in the pictures), on a creeper adjacent to it. It all ahppened within a span of five to six days. The bees had become an irritant for visitors and for us too. Since our house is quite old, we have a contractor who regularly does our repair and maintenance work. I rang him up and he came with one man who does such a job. This man stood far away covering his head almost fully and using a very long stick available with us. The small hive was dismantled and it fell on the ground. We had closed all our doors and windows earlier. The bees were hovering around for quite sometime. He put the hive in a plastic bag much later, when the bees had moved away.

Thankfully, we have not had these visitors since two years, again.

Beehive on my car - Now what?-img_20180407_172730860.jpg

Beehive on my car - Now what?-img_20180407_172737302.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th May 2020 at 18:30.
Old 26th May 2020, 19:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

So it's Team-BeeHP Now!

Bees nest in our garden. There is one nest in a saporta bush that was active for years, but it is now deserted. There is an active nest in a tree near our kitchen window. They have never been any trouble to us at all. My wife has suggested taking honey: I guess it is possible, but prefer to leave it alone for the bees.

Smoke is used by bee-keepers to subdue the bees. Smoke, not fire.

I am very glad the OP was able to get the bees removed without harm. Honey bees are our friends, not only for honey, but also for pollination. They actually play a part in world economics as pollinators, but are under threat in many places.

Sometimes wasps start to build in our garden too. They are not so welcome.

BRV (Or should I say BeeRV? ) --- Welcome to T-BHP. The bees are not mandatory: you can stay without them
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 19:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Search online for any beekeepers in your vicinity. Give them a call and request for help. Most likely they will come and take the problem out of your hands. Since they will use a small blower type of equipment to fumigate the hive, any damage to your paint is unlikely.
Old 26th May 2020, 20:14   #22
BRV
BHPian

Quote:
Since this happened so fast, I was just wondering what if it had occurred on a holiday in a remote place and there was no professional help available. Would it be okay to get in from the passenger door, hit the highway and drive at 120 kmph?
Didn't considered this option. Was not sure if the bees managed to get inside. If they were inside I would end of badly stung and in this current lock-down situation, we don't want to be in such a bad situation.
If somehow I manage to get inside, I don't want to disturb them, make them angry over Bangalore roads (speed breakers / potholes) and attack the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would be scary to try getting in from the passenger side door, never know if any of those bees would get disturbed and swarm around/attack. Also, with the current lock-down situation one wouldn't possibly be able to get on to a highway so easily, maybe the (in)famous NICE road in Bangalore would be an option but being a tolled roadway, I can imagine what would be the reaction on the face of the attendant at the toll plaza that's at all entry/exit points (hive is on driver's door and would be right in front of his face!)
+1, I can't even get out of our society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I would be more concerned about the wax and all the mess they leave behind when they leave. Since it's wax, difficult to remove using general detailing items.

Should be OK. But, you'd have to drive a long way to clear them, I guess. Also, once you are back, they will come back.
Cleaned with water and all the marks were cleared. Diluted Dettol (1:10 ratio) and sprayed it generously and wiped it. They are back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I had a similar incident where a small hive was formed on the balcony. As I had small kid i did not take risk to drive it away using fire/smoke, instead used "HIT" spray to do the job. It was very saddening view to see the bees just dropping down dead. One can of hit and almost all the bees were dead (literally drop down dead on squirting the spray).
The last thing I want is to kill them. We used to harvest honey when I was kid along with my Father and his friends. We never harmed the bees. Smoke them out and take portion of honey and leave it (of course we had our share of stings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So it's Team-BeeHP Now!

Bees nest in our garden. There is one nest in a saporta bush that was active for years, but it is now deserted. There is an active nest in a tree near our kitchen window. They have never been any trouble to us at all. My wife has suggested taking honey: I guess it is possible, but prefer to leave it alone for the bees.

Smoke is used by bee-keepers to subdue the bees. Smoke, not fire.

I am very glad the OP was able to get the bees removed without harm. Honey bees are our friends, not only for honey, but also for pollination. They actually play a part in world economics as pollinators, but are under threat in many places.

Sometimes wasps start to build in our garden too. They are not so welcome.

BRV (Or should I say BeeRV? ) --- Welcome to T-BHP. The bees are not mandatory: you can stay without them
Yes, Bees are our friends and don't want to harm them at any cost.

BeeRV - Nice analogy Sir. I chose my initials as the name of the handle. Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Search online for any beekeepers in your vicinity. Give them a call and request for help. Most likely they will come and take the problem out of your hands. Since they will use a small blower type of equipment to fumigate the hive, any damage to your paint is unlikely.
Its removed safely with the help of a professional who was within our society. Thanks.
BRV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 20:59   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
The last thing I want is to kill them. We used to harvest honey when I was kid along with my Father and his friends. We never harmed the bees. Smoke them out and take portion of honey and leave it (of course we had our share of stings)
It was a childhood ambition of mine, but a beehive and bees was an expensive thing then (in GB), and there was no way that my parents would have taken over when the child lost interest in the daily work. And now, yes, I have them as close neighbours, and make no attempt to take the honey from them.

I am glad that you had the welfare of the bees at heart. And that the problem is solved.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 10:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
True. HIT is a really potent spray. I have also used this as a preventive method since some bees tried to do a feasibility check on my Split AC in one of my balconies a few weeks ago. They haven't found it suitable since. I have also used HIT to trap a mouse that had come in my parents house. It literally staggered out, gasping for breath. Felt almost sorry for the critter.
Old 28th May 2020, 12:12   #25
BHPian

You send the honeybees and you got natural carnuba Wax free for your car detailing
bullock-Car is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 12:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Beehive is removed by the professional without hurting the bees. A lot of bees died on the roof which got stuck in the water droplets when it rained last night.

Thanks.
Came across this thread only today and nice to hear it is resolved. I too same in the same apartment complex, hope it doesn't repeat.
Old 28th May 2020, 13:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Actually honey bees are quite harmless if you know how to deal with them. I had several bee hives in our garden when I grew up in Nilgiris. Recently I had a hive in the car shed (just above my head when I get into the car) for years. I have never been stung even once. They will hover near my face and move on. Generally the large bees - about an inch or so in length are tolerant of our presence.

If a bee stings you, it loses its innards along with the sting and dies. Once a mother was consoling her child that if the bee stings him, he will die. The child replied - " Yes Mommy. You know that it will die, I know that it will die. But does the bee know that it will die if it stings me ?".

I used to buy Rose flower garland before the Infant Jesus church in Bangalore. The garland would have a dozen or more large honey bees circling around. I would wrap the garland in my hand and they never stung me. In the beginning, I was scared too. The flower vendor told me that he has been selling the garlands for more than 20 years and the bees hung around all the time. But they never stung even once in all these years.
The smaller bees get easily provoked.

In your case, you can use a hair dryer with a little incense stoked in. The incense smell is disliked by bees. But protect your face with a helmet and wear long sleeved shirt. Light a bunch of incense sticks as close to the hive as you dare.

Last edited by Prowler : 28th May 2020 at 13:48.
Prowler is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 15:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Now, what's the best way to remove the honey bees without killing them or get stung (not sure if they managed to get inside the car).
What other precautions I have to take after the honeybees are removed.

Note: It's a residential area with lot of children playing around.

Thanks in advance.
It's highly unlikely that bees have made your car a permanent home. It's like a pit stop for them until they find a permanent home.
When a new queen bee takes charge of bee hive, the older queen leaves with half the troops, workers etc.
The queen immediately finds a resting spot so that it's troops can scout for best possible hive locations.

Fun Fact : Bees are the only other species on earth known to solve complex mathematical problems. Watch cosmos : possible worlds episode 7 and it will knock you off your feet.
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 16:16   #29
BHPian

Don't, organic honey is expensive and a good business venture. Hire some bee keepers and turn your full car into a beefarm.

Use this money to buy a Beemer.

That was on a lighter vein, but I am happy bees are still around, we decimated them in between and good to see them making a comeback
Stribog is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 16:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Note: It's a residential area with lot of children playing around.

Thanks in advance.
We had a similar issue outside our office window. We used black hit and got rid of them. This was easy and effective. Do give it a try. Yours are more than what we faced.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th May 2020 at 23:30.

Most Viewed