Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2007, 10:26   #1
BHPian

Is Cleaning the MAF Sensor A Good Idea ?

My RS is now two years old and I was wondering whether I should clean the MAF. There is no performance issue, mileage is also good - 12 kmpl for sedate city driving, 8/9 for sporty. So should I leave the MAF alone or clean it in a bath of isopropyl alcohol? If I have to clean it where is the MAF located? A picture would help. Thanks. Bomi.
Old 15th March 2007, 11:05   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
My RS is now two years old and I was wondering whether I should clean the MAF. There is no performance issue, mileage is also good - 12 kmpl for sedate city driving, 8/9 for sporty. So should I leave the MAF alone or clean it in a bath of isopropyl alcohol? If I have to clean it where is the MAF located? A picture would help. Thanks. Bomi.
Please... Dont touch the MAF.. Its a very sensitive component and tends to knock if it is fingered with.. If everything is ok.. Just let it be.. Coz there is nothing that goes wrong with it.. Only service it if u think there is drop in performance or FE..
Old 15th March 2007, 21:17   #3
BHPian

Agree with EVO6 100%. If its not giving you problems, let it be. Btw, how many kms has ur car done Bomi?
Old 16th March 2007, 10:22   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys. So I will treat the MAF like a holy cow.
DMH - car has clocked 25k kms.
Old 16th March 2007, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good advice. The maf should really not be touched, its one of the most sensitive components. A good service, cleaning of the air filter, and oil change is more than enough to keep your car running in decent healthy condition.
Old 17th March 2007, 02:35   #6
BHPian

Skoda has MAF or MAP ? doesnt it have ECU which uses speed density to check air ?
Old 20th March 2007, 12:47   #7
BHPian

Just incase... FYI below, it would still make sense to treat it like a holy cow

Guide - How to clean your MAF sensor. - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forum and Community
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:00   #8
BHPian

hi,
can peope advise or give their thoughts on this please

MAF clean for Vauxhall Astra Corsa Omega Vectra VXR Mk3 on eBay (end time 05-Aug-09 23:35:10 BST)

thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 12:33   #9
BHPian

Re: Is Cleaning the MAF Sensor A Good Idea ?

Does any body have an idea of servicing an oxygen sensor? I couldn't find a better thread for Oxygen Sensor cleaning. Does any body have experience cleaning and checking an oxygen sensor?
Old 21st February 2019, 14:54   #10
BHPian

Re: Is Cleaning the MAF Sensor A Good Idea ?

I see that instantaneous mileage calculated from the MAF sensor is so much different from what my 1.5 month old Innova says and it's quite bizarre. I need precise values for FE and there's quite a lot of difference in both results. Pretty sure it isn't an issue with the formula applied as even Torque reports similar values as my app does, though both are far far different from what the vehicle's MID says.

Since it's a brand new car with about 1300 km under its belt, it doesn't sound like a contaminated MAF sensor. Any thoughts?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks