Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 17:12   #1
BHPian

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods

Greetings to all the viewers reading this blog and as I promised I'm here to update regarding my other car 'Sx4' which too was attacked by the flood caused due to the cyclone in Kolkata.

The story is much different when compared to my Kia Seltos which too was a part of this disaster. If you have not read the Kia Seltos blog- you can click here (Flood attacks my Kia Seltos)

This incident took place on 20th May 2020 (night) and the discovery was the next morning and here are some images.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-5927dc1970a34369a9437c66fdd1ae24.jpg
There is a slope behind the car which is right now looking flat like the Earth.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-b4a54c335872473fa1181626b4883453.jpg
Another image for better representation.Notice the mark on the bumper?That's the extend of water that reached.

The water level was worse than that of Seltos when we opened the door. The car was stinking as expected. As I'm writing this blog (27th May)- today is when Maruti Suzuki has opened their service station. For a week we couldn't keep the Sx4 drinking water. So we took a part of the matters in our hand.

On 24th May 2020 we got hold of a person who was stripping everyone's car interior in the complex to help dry the carpets. The process was smooth.
What were we doing till 24th May? A small contribution of opening the door and letting the smell leave the car. The car battery was dead and was sent for charging till we got it back. (2% help for drying the mat)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-af38f84ea91f499f90f50181b494d5ef.jpg
Out in the open hoping for a sun ray.

The car was initially parked inside but later shifted outside to make way for the Seltos to go to the service station. It was time to put the sx4 under the shed as the seats would have been removed. They started the engine . I'm well aware we are not supposed to do that. The engine ignited like a washing machine and it made weird horrible noises. (Note: My car engine is very well maintained and it runs as good as new but now the condition has flipped) (Problems get worse on 27th)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-23e384b943ab4c01887ca7043d7c97b7.jpg
Power steering light and airbag light. Weirdly the alarm button is stagnant red. (No image)

Since the engine started I thought of taking it inside the garage till I noticed the power steering was not functioning. It was hilarious and difficult to park the car in the tight slope.

Once the car was parked the car was stripped completely that resulted in having all the parts such as plastics, seats, huge carpet at home. We left the doors and the boot open to dry. (Note: The spare tire area was filled with water, no damage on body)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-2e179a350d9c45d1b64baef147d92546.jpg
"Men at work"

Once they were done with their work we din't allow them to clean the interior. The first thing that was done was that the mat was rinsed in Dettol water and left in the terrace to dry. Meanwhile the bare metal on the floor needed cleaning. 11 years of dust and numerous plastics, food items were found.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-ba6a1699f2ee4998b0c949eb80a2932e.jpg
The floor and exposed areas were cleaned with a rinsed micro fiber cloth.(No stones left unturned)

The very next day the mats were dry and 'karak' (meaning: hard). After the mat was dry I discovered tons of dust (despite cleaning before lockdown) and several marks on the light colored carpet.

Special thanks to Maruti Suzuki for using light color in the most abused area of the car. The entire carpet detailing took two days in order to remove nearly all stains. I used a gentle Amway all purpose shampoo (for items not hair) diluted with water and used a tooth brush.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-223eb3efb3084c6187b973a6071a94ff.jpg
Amway and water diluted. A free hotel toothbrush.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-e5ef0fc66b924ab0822fe4a4f32056af.jpg
Lockdown boredom made me go out of my way.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-5daec640bb14471c85887d4f7ff06ec1.jpg
An example result.

It is obvious that one head cannot do the same work forever so I switched between the work. The next task were the plastics. The plastics that were not removed from the car was initially cleaned. But the ones that were removed were very dirty. (Thanks to the light color to help me indicate dirt)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-af1d821e03ad4921804ee5b64e264d4c.jpg
Collected all the parts.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-924bae68de274a558c8c68d2f450eaf4.jpg
Washing them like utensils.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-55e473502d464e5398b0940a515dfcef.jpg
A collection of Maruti plastics, any fanbois?

The next target was the seats and I found blood. At first I thought was this car used for murdering? I looked at my father with doubt. Turns out it was raw chicken/mutton/fish blood.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-b6f6ece2a95040f696938ac5b37c4fbc.jpg
I lost all my hair during this process. (Literally bald for the first time)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-2e67379e7dba47fc9b8e558563bc299f.jpg
Same cleaning agent for seat covers and the levers. (under the lever too I found blood and dirt)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-fd50d78d96994e7da1d94a7f3a2f5a67.jpg
Seats are clean and ready to be installed.

Few bits in the car are really hideous. The boot has a cardboard cover that is glued with a sort of black material to keep the floor flat. It feels cheap and flimsy. So much so the cardboard and the material got separated. I used hot glue to fix the floor cover in order to use it again. The center console padding glue too faded. Thanks to hot glue for fixing this.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-0b2d6eed55444463b28d1f79703eb8ec.jpg
Hot glue gun placed on the boot floor cover. The rubber beading on the gearbox console needed a quick fix.

All this work took four complete days of my life and I don't regret it one bit. I enjoyed these four days cleaning 11 years of dirt and experience. This was the car in which I used to go to school and my dad used to come and pick me up, travelling to school for my scary report card day with my mother and this is the car in which I learnt driving and so it deserved my hands.

The fun part comes when we call back the people to put back everything. Thanks to Maity Da for helping in removing and putting back my parts together.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-90860edb622a4a4b9c8501ec3af43dd1.jpg
The carpet had a last vacuuming done before it was thrown inside the car.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-cc4407fdbaaf42848e4d4588c9a974f7.jpg
The fit and finish is better than what Maruti did last flood.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-39afdae05463487892d2a4e95970c49b.jpg
Maita Da making sure that the carpet has the padding in correct places.

Now comes the time for the reveal of the restored interior! The interior of this car has never been this clean. Is this the only Sx4 that has been poured with so much love?

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-ae4e8f6ec091419b97465a771346e6a0.jpg
Rear space was where I spent my entire childhood.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-9fc373e44e114df8b3667f5367465036.jpg
Front space is where I now spend my days.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-50981f453d43471aa9ef64df0c164469.jpg
A pair of clean cup holders for my coins.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-b7809793a15e40af9ed69c2bb02ff13f.jpg
"Men are back" - Sx4 slogan

Well the car was all sparkling from inside and dusty from outside and I thought of going out for a spin without the power steering. This is when the next problem showed up. The car started like a washing machine (by then I was used to this sound) and the gears were not slotting. How am I supposed to go ahead without shifting to first? Had a talk with Maruti today and they are supposed to send their man tomorrow. Story to be continued.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 27th May 2020 at 17:16.
momsonlydriver is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 12:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods

Nothing hurts more than having your car damaged for no fault of yours. What you have done is fantastic. The interiors of the car look showroom-fresh (or maybe even better). You also did it at the right time - immediately.

A few years back, there was a lot of water logging in Mumbai and in the process, some water entered my car. Next day I had the carpet removed and the floor cleaned. Glad I did so before any more damage could be done. Nothing else was touched by the water.

The cyclone hit Kolkata bad. Glad you are safe.
Aditya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 13:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Nothing hurts more than having your car damaged for no fault of yours. What you have done is fantastic. The interiors of the car look showroom-fresh (or maybe even better). You also did it at the right time - immediately.

A few years back, there was a lot of water logging in Mumbai and in the process, some water entered my car. Next day I had the carpet removed and the floor cleaned. Glad I did so before any more damage could be done. Nothing else was touched by the water.

The cyclone hit Kolkata bad. Glad you are safe.
Thanks for your compliment! I'm very much safe and sound. Infact in my region there was barely any damage and I thank God for that. Just an update for the post, today Maruti Suzuki door step service is coming to fix the vehicle. I will surely update on this first time experience.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 11:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Just an update for the post, today Maruti Suzuki door step service is coming to fix the vehicle. I will surely update on this first time experience.
Hi momsonlydriver

Its saddening to see both your cars getting flooded. I hope both will get restored fully. Some tips, not sure if they will be any help.

Did you check your engine oil(and brake fluid) condition for water mixing? If water got mixed, the oil-water emulsion would look creamy and opaque. If oil is contaminated, do not run the engine till oil flush and change. Do check timing belt and accessories belt. The whining sound could be from somewhere around.

I believe SX4 has electric power steering. So check the fuse box for blown fuses.

Glad that engine malfunction light is not on. Hopefully no blown sensors. Also since ABS warning is not on, the ABS sensors too must be fine.

Thanks
AntPaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 12:51   #5

Sorry to hear both your cars got flooded. And good work with the restoration.

However my advice from personal experience is never to hang on to flood damaged cars. The damage is too deep and moisture inside the body members will eventually rot through. The car will self destruct over the years.

Ive lost my beloved Honda City to flood damage and will forever miss her.

Good luck and all the best.
Old 29th May 2020, 12:58   #6
BHPian

Great Job!

I also had a flood damage to my 2007 SX4 last year in mumbai.
Lost the hydraulic clutch and had to get it towed.

But, I have a question - does the rear seat back fold down to access the trunk?
I can't see to find out how.
Old 29th May 2020, 13:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Great Job!

I also had a flood damage to my 2007 SX4 last year in mumbai.
Lost the hydraulic clutch and had to get it towed.

But, I have a question - does the rear seat back fold down to access the trunk?
I can't see to find out how.
Well I believe my Hydraulic Clutch is dead too because it's not shifting into gears. Maruti Suzuki service is very slow. They kept me hanging for two days and they denied door step service saying that the car is big ?
They said they will tow the car tomorrow. I always find their work average.

The rear back seat cannot be folded. There are two bars placed crisscross having the entire area sealed. This is to avoid the the luggage to enter during an accident.

We have experienced a Sx4 in the international market and the seat folding mechanism was provided in them.
momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 13:30   #8
BHPian

Thank you!
I can recommend you try filling in some hydraulic fluid and then giving it a go.
It has most likely drained and the oil has most definitely gotten into the friction pads, but it won't hurt to try. May be you'll be luckier than I was
Old 29th May 2020, 14:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Thank you!
I can recommend you try filling in some hydraulic fluid and then giving it a go.
It has most likely drained and the oil has most definitely gotten into the friction pads, but it won't hurt to try. May be you'll be luckier than I was
Already the ignition sounds scary on top of that the power steering has failed, airbag lights are onn as well as alarm lights.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:02   #10
BHPian

Before I update this blog I would like to say that I had a very unpleasant experience with Maruti Suzuki. I being a very understanding customer found this behavior to be very casual.

There was a talk with Maruti Suzuki One Auto, Science City that since they were having a full occupancy in their workshop - they were willing to provide a door step service for our vehicle.

The date that they confirmed was 28th May 2020 at 12 noon. Time passed and it was around 4:00 PM - we gave several calls but none were willing to answer and later got a call stating that they will arrive on 29th May 2020 (next day)

It was 29th May 2020 at around 10:30 PM they stated that they are on their way and were asking for directions. After giving direction they asked the vehicle name (shocking). After saying it is an SX4 there was a moment of silence. He said the car is too big to work on. I was once again shocked at the response.

On 29th May 2020 we got a call that there is a vacancy available in their workshop and that there has been a towing service booked for us for 30th May 2020.

30th of May arrives and we get a call and it goes this way:

Maruti: "Sir we are sending a driver to your location"

Reply: "We have asked for a towing service"

Maruti: "We do not having a towing service"

Reply: "Our car is not functioning so there is no point sending a driver"

Maruti: "Everything will be looked after, he will drive the car for you"

Reply: "The car is not slotting into gears. I could have taken the car myself"

Maruti: "Sir we will be sending a number for road side assistance"

The call ended and we got no response from the lady on the line. Took the matters in our hands and arranged for a towing service after googling. The towing man came within 15mins. As I initially stated that the car engine was in a running condition but not in this case, it died (local battery guy cheated on us by not charging the battery fully).

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-ea99a6e60de84a2794f2632e4afa8dbb.jpg
SX4 leaving from our second enterance.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-5fd791d0fad74908ba0e4bde02ba73cf.jpg
On its way to get towed.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-287c2fde53e84f279de137303ebcc2b1.jpg
Making sure it doesn't go off the road.

Someone was supposed to steer the car and it was boiling hot inside the car. Well I chose to do it myself. My dad and his officer driver followed us. After having reached the service station in the humid climate the car was left in the lane (as told by the security guard). It was a narrow lane and the towing guy left the area to rescue another car.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-31ffdbb459d44056a01a19c65c43710b.jpg
We finally reached and you can see 'Suzuki' written - that is the distance between the car and the service station.

We walked in and said that we have left the car in the lane as it was told by the security and that can they help us to bring it in (we asked the same lady). She denied saying, "We cannot bring your car in, it is you who have to bring the car." I was already offended by her voice since 27th.

My dad (who is no wear close to being called young or middle aged) and his driver were pushing the car and I was steering it down the lane to avoid hitting any bikes or cars. While the lady, security and the mechanics were staring at us and not providing any help.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-1702bca214384d39b4d80a809363c319.jpg
We left the car here.

Later they pushed the car inside as the line was getting shorter but the front bumper was touching other cars and leaving paint marks on the bumper. (What is this behavior?)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-79a92b0589ae47848e4777827f13a917.jpg
A view of the working from the front desk.

After leaving the car in the respected place, the lady asked us to wait inside while she gets hold of someone to continue with the form filling procedure (Km check, complaint, etc) We were left inside a room that was called a so "conference room" with a few chairs half broken, there was no fan, air conditioner unit not working and it was hot. There was not even a window so we were just going in and out hoping for someone to arrive quickly.

At first my father was understanding with the Covid-19 situations and the delay. After waiting for 40mins with no confirmation we started getting restless. On hunting it turns out that the lady was having her lunch and gossiping and did not carry the message forward . We politely asked her to send someone as my father was supposed to go for work and it was nearly 2:00 PM. Our check in was around 12:40 noon.

A man was sent and he quickly did the job of taking the notes and some depressing words came out from his mouth, "We are not promising anything but the supply of electronics parts for this car is not sure." He was talking about other cars that having no problems with parts hoping that we purchase a new car from them. Most of the electronic motors are shared from current cars like airbag sensors and other fuses.

A small work took so much time and patience. It is not the same Maruti Suzuki what it used to be 5 years ago. They have gotten casual over the years and are neglecting perfection. Along with their car quality degrading their customer service has also degraded like the tin cans.

I would not recommend people going for Maruti Suzuki if they are wanting their cars to be serviced at a very high quality rate. We have previously faced issues with miss match of paint, breaking interior plastic panels, lazy cleaning, failed to fix issues such as squeeky break noise and engine belt noise.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-f3cc5c9282c04ff5855c2c882c98f00e.jpg
Cars waiting to get treated.

The experience might not be the same for every Maruti Suzuki customer around India but then I'm loyal towards the car and not the company. The only cars that seem to be built nicely are Kizashi, Grand Vitara, Sx4, S-Cross and Vitara Breeza. Initially thought of fixing few dents and scratches from this garage but after looking at the service we turned down the request. We will wait for our usual workshop to open at Kalikapor. Ironically both are named One Auto but customer service is totally different. Just doing the vehicle work is not enough, it is the procedure that also matters.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 3rd June 2020 at 18:10.
momsonlydriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:39   #11
BHPian

Write a official complaint to maruti via their website depicting the entire scenario. Maruti customer care is top notch and they would surely get someone to get in touch with you. Please do not keep quiet as by doing so your just encouraging their behaviour.
Parts availability for sx4 has no issue whatsoever.
scorpian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 15:57   #12
BHPian

I was in a very similar situation in 2015 when we had the floods in Chennai. Water levels again, very similar to what you had. And the Airbag Controller and PS Controller had gone kaput. These controllers could be procured only by the MSIL authorized service centres. Thankfully, everything else in the car was working.
Unfortunately at that time in Chennai, all the MSIL authorized service were inundated - either literally with water or with vehicles that were affected by the floods. They were in no position to accept vehicles for the following 3 months!!
What did I do? - I drove to BLR, without PS and ordered the parts from RNS Motors. Left my car at my aunt's place and came back to Chennai. 2 weeks later when the parts had arrived, went back to BLR, had them replaced and then drove back to Chennai.
Must say - RNS Motors people were very helpful, especially that I had come to them all the way from Chennai to get the parts replaced!!

Last edited by Kaumad : 5th June 2020 at 15:58.
Kaumad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 17:35   #13
BHPian

I received my car on 12th of June 2020 from the service station. They stated that the car is ready to be collected. My experience was not good and have reported to the concerned authority. I'm sure there will be little to no action taken as old customers are not given preference.

Around noon we went to pick up the car and the service station was filled with cars naturally (every single household has one Maruti for most part)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-df9ed427df664999be060a0cf6c12ca1.jpg
Have a look at the crowd.

I was concerned about my car as we have been without a car for nearly a month and travel was not possible all time. What we have been using during these days of lockdown? An Innova Crysta from my dads office. The driver took all the pain of my pleasure travel during these tough times.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-5fb91de34adf4dd3965f2cfa9789a402.jpg
The car having a break from its wheels.
Observation:
  • The car was sent dirty from outside and it remained the same.
  • Interior was filth. The windows were kept open for all these days.
  • The gearknob and console was broken. (Ordered a new set from Boodmo)
  • Scratches on the bumper as well the bumper clip being out. (Later)

Regarding the cleaning we questioned. He stated that the service station is crowded so it cannot be done. After a heated argument he states that 'after' two hours our car can be cleaned. My father was already delayed for work and refused the offer with a frown.

Have a look at the interior condition:- (We had a full detailed cleaning done)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-84be004d37584a5dbeb73d0974ba9e0a.jpg
A beautiful newspaper and grease on the door fabric and the scuff plates.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-988a7164c3f84dd08b2b672d1cefbe77.jpg
They broke the knob as well as the console clip. Had a talk with a local guy he will glue it up. (These shouldn't have had happened in the first place)

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-2f1bce0ee23347848f8c8aafb5f9cb28.jpg
There is something called a bin and not a glovebox.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-b07a9b8645c042e08a7a4194c1085763.jpg
Few human prints.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-c822c7c832a6464da5a3ca6126eea066.jpg
Some grease and dust.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-7cbd864177734710bbd1d17eef204124.jpg
I and my sibling are allergic to dust.

Need not to worry. The car was once again cleaned by me from the inside and for the outside I left it for another service station.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-5e0fd56a56a543deb644dac7a4b6a769.jpg
This is another small service station.
Back to the story, for the preparation of bill he took an hour. That hour seemed hideous because they parked the car in such a way that you cannot see the left side nor a passenger can enter.

On our way back home we stopped for collect some items and we found the next issue.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-7375386107dd48ea9350b687de62d4ba.jpg
The bumper had collision marks too.

Here is where I lost my head and called up the service station. Had some wonderful things to say. They were willing to wash the car for free and fix the bumper. I said no to everything as I was not happy with their service.

Lady: "How much do you rate us out of 10?"

Me: "A -10 is all that you deserve"

*Hung Up*

I had enough stress and wasn't willing to take more. Quietly went to the local footpath workshop and got the bumper fixed in 15mins.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-6152327754b04656a3c20970ce60a08b.jpg
He only charged me a 100 for removing the marks and putting back my bumper.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-08c7dcac578e47358f30aa81912498db.jpg
Hey handsome.

So right now my car is working all perfectly, even better than before. The gearbox console is also placed for the time being. A new gearknob is on its way. The work done on the engine is great but the overall customer service was bad. Would never recommend anyone to visit this particular workshop in Kolkata near Science City. I recommend the Kalikapur workshop which is right now closed due to the outbreak of fire.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 16th June 2020 at 17:37.
momsonlydriver is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:44   #14
BHPian

Glad you got the car back! All these small issues can be fixed and with a DIY it will be fun for you too.
Rest all this minor damage I have also gone through at the service stations so I avoid as much as possible. Only critical repairs I go to the authorized centre.
Enjoy the car.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:40   #15
BHPian

Hey there! There is a slight update on the car (2%). The gear knob was broken and it was coming off after a few shifts. Imagine driving your car and you shift gears while the knob remains in your hand.

The knob was all broken to begin with. So here I spent Rs.390 (including shipping charges from Boodmo) on a new gearknob that is seen in newer generation Suzuki models. This is the third time I am changing the gearknob as previously they went loose.

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-20200619_111136.jpg
The old gear knob. Do you notice the crack on the top?

Restoring an SX4 attacked by floods-screenshot_20200619183451_gallery.jpg
Ironically this gearknob matches my climate control system.

The center console unit (silver ring) has been glued perfectly in order to avoid the gearbox console to pop out while shifting gears (Especially reverse). This caused a lot of disturbance and hilarious moments.
momsonlydriver is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks