Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 17:03   #1

Kia Seltos AT - Brake Issue

Hi All,

Purchased Seltos GTX+ AT in January'20 for my wife. I got a chance to drive the same just before lockdown around 20th March.

Two issues noted:

1. I had to press the brake pedal quite a bit before it did anything to slow the car down. I mean for my other cars (all different make) I just have to gently press the brake pedal and they will start responding.

2. In my other cars as soon as the gear shifter is put on "D" and leg taken off brake pedal they will slowly start moving. But not so in Kia. It would not move until the accelerator is pressed. This issue is more irritating when in traffic you want to slow the vehicle but not come to a complete stop.

Immediately went to the service center. The SA said that Kia has been designed in a way that there is significant gap between brake pad and tyre so that constant friction is avoided. He said this will help in longevity of the brake pads. He didn't have any answer for the accelerator issue.

I am not much concerned about the accelerator issue but the break problem is troubling.

Can any Seltos owners throw a light on this or share their experience? Or is it because of the Good Year tyres? If I change the tyres to Michelin/Continental will it improve braking response?

Thank you all.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st June 2020 at 17:17. Reason: typos
Old 1st June 2020, 17:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kia Seltos AT - Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichurricane View Post
Immediately went to the service center. The SA said that Kia has been designed in a way that there is significant gap between brake pad and tyre so that constant friction is avoided. He said this will help in longevity of the brake pads. He didn't have any answer for the accelerator issue.

I have to respect this SA's confidence and lack of respect for customer's knowledge.
Please talk to his superior & ask for a resolution. Directly tell that supervisor about the absolutely rubbish line that the SA has given you & ask for a better service advisor.

I suggest you keep a mail ready to be shot to the KIA leadership if the ASC don't respond properly & resolve this for you. Ensure you write about this engineering design marvel told to you by the SA.

Its really lazy folks like this on the ground that damage the image of a car maker over time.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st June 2020 at 18:10.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 18:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a master cylinder issue. It's not uncommon in new cars to have this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Directly tell that supervisor about the absolutely rubbish line that the SA has given you & ask for a better service advisor
Sebring is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Purchased Seltos GTX+ AT in January'20 for my wife. I got a chance to drive the same just before lockdown around 20th March.

Two issues noted:

1. I had to press the brake pedal quite a bit before it did anything to slow the car down. I mean for my other cars (all different make) I just have to gently press the brake pedal and they will start responding.

2. In my other cars as soon as the gear shifter is put on "D" and leg taken off brake pedal they will slowly start moving. But not so in Kia. It would not move until the accelerator is pressed. This issue is more irritating when in traffic you want to slow the vehicle but not come to a complete stop.

1. There does seem to be some issue with your brakes. Do they feel wooden? Were you by any chance riding brakes? Some people have this habit of using both feet to drive automatics. But what the service guy said about there being some clearance between brake pads and rotor surface is a load of baloney.

2. This is not an issue at all. That is how DCT/DSGs behave. They don't start moving right away as soon as you come off brakes, like in a torque converter or CVT. This is another reason which ticks me off from DCT/DSGs. I agree with you that in b-to-b crawl, it gets unbearable.
Old 1st June 2020, 21:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Looks like a master cylinder issue. It's not uncommon in new cars to have this
Additionally, it could also be issue with brake booster, vacuum hose and vacuum pump.

Clearly the service advisor is not doing a thorough job. A customer isn't supposed to be knowing technical details.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 1st June 2020 at 21:59.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:55   #6
BANNED

Quote:
I had to press the brake pedal quite a bit before it did anything to slow the car down.

Immediately went to the service center. The SA said that Kia has been designed in a way that there is significant gap between brake pad and tyre so that constant friction is avoided. He said this will help in longevity of the brake pads.
Is the SA referring to the 'pads return spring'?

Kia Seltos AT - Brake Issue-img_20180506_110902_copy_768x1365.jpg

I have removed these springs as soon as I saw them and found that the braking improved slightly.

You can try removing if these are there on the Seltos too.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:21   #7
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos AT - Brake Issue

Is this issue something related to the Brake issues in Creta? There is a similar thread on tbhp where some seltos owners have also reported such issues.

The thread can be viewed here (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
There is a similar thread on tbhp where some seltos owners have also reported such issues.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4813886 (Kia Seltos : Official Review)
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Check if the caliper slide pins/guide rods are moving freely. I know they should in a new car. But you never know. If they are jammed, then it definitely causes the problem mentioned by you. Fix will be a 5 mins job of removing and regreasing the guide rods.
Old 4th June 2020, 13:12   #10
BHPian

I own a Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI ( purchased new) now 9.5 years old . ( Which all who have owned it , will testify that it's a car which begs to be driven hard) Some time last year, the ABS light came on one morning. I thought to take it the next day to the ASS ( through the years serviced by them). That day having only minor errands to run within 5km from home, I pumped the brake pedal gently before starting out. No problem with braking. Cautiously, drove around finishing my chores. Then on a stretch of road after checking my rear view mirror slammed on my brakes to a dead stop from 40kmpl. The car braked as usual, no issues, but the ABS didn't kick in. Then later in the evening, I needed to go out. After ignition, the ABS light switched off!!! Decided to wait a few days. Thereafter every few days it would come on and a day later it would behave itself.
Since it is not the primary or secondary car in use, I decided to wait for the time for it's regular service. Then the SA told me since the ABS light wasn't staying lit and the brakes were working fine "bring it back when the ABS comes on".
I said ok, and after the regular service, drove the car home. I have driven the car a bit and suddenly the light came back on a few days back.
Now it goes off again.
After reading previous posts, I wonder if I should just go and insist on the ABS sensors being replaced.
Apart from this issue there has been no electrical problems all these years ( touch wood), except a problem with the electric boot release, once and repaired though this required two trips to the ASS.
And yes, a few times energetic pumping of the brake pedal, while stationary, caused the light to switch off.

Last edited by SanjayDalal : 4th June 2020 at 13:40. Reason: Request to Mods to shift it to another thread if more appropriate
Old 4th June 2020, 14:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no need for significant gap between brake pad and tyre. By the way, what you mean is brake disc. Brake discs and pads have very smooth surfaces and they only need to be apart, literally tens of millimeters to not touch, not cause friction and therefor not cause any wear.

Having a large gap between pad and the disc will result in a very long brake pedal travel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
I
After reading previous posts, I wonder if I should just go and insist on the ABS sensors being replaced..
Why would you replace the sensors? Why not the ABS unit, why not ECU or the BPM?

What I am alluding to: never start replacing bits without a proper diagnose. It is just hit or miss and tends to be a very expensive and frustrating way of dealing with faults.

On a car with a problem like this, it means hooking it up to a car/model specific OBD analyser. Even when the ABS light comes on intermittently, some error codes might be stored. With the ABS light on, there will be some error codes and that is the best starting position for further diagnose and determining subsequent root cause and solution.

With a yellow/amber ABS light on, as you experienced, the brakes still work normally, only the ABS might not work properly or not at all. When you see red brake lights coming on, you should not be driving at all, as your brakes might not work properly or completely fail.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 4th June 2020 at 14:25.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:27   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
I have driven the car a bit and suddenly the light came back on a few days back. Now it goes off again. After reading previous posts, I wonder if I should just go and insist on the ABS sensors being replaced.
Buy an ELM 327 device (V-Link) from Amazon and download the FORSCAN software. Check for error codes stored and accordingly, replace the parts required after that. No point in blindly replacing parts as it may or may not solve the issue.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th June 2020 at 14:29.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Buy an ELM 327 device (V-Link) from Amazon and download the FORSCAN software. Check for error codes stored and accordingly, replace the parts required after that. No point in blindly replacing parts as it may or may not solve the issue.
Good suggestion. But don’t start replacing parts just because you get a specific error code. Always check a bit more first.

Eg. Say you get an error code suggesting for instance a problem with a particular ABS sensor.

Always have a thorough good look first. Does anything look out of the ordinary, compare to the ABS sensor. Maybe it is knocked out of place? Many ABS sensors work on some sort of teethed ring attached to the bake of the rotor. Any damage, mud etc. Always, always check all cables and connectors. Look for visual signs of cracks or kinks in the cable. Take the connector off, is it dry (no water ingress). Does the connector fit and lock mechanically properly? Check for corrosion, check each and every pin, male and female.

If you follow my hobby car thread on this forum you will have seen that in 9 out of 10 electronic problems it was ultimately something as simple as the above. Replacing the electronic parts, the sensors, of control modules is an absolute last resort. You have to make sure everything else works properly.

So find the error codes and next to an as thorough inspection of the suspected part and its surrounding.
Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:12   #14
BHPian

It's the hill start assist that activates every time. Even if the road is a little bumpy it won't allow the car to roll back nor will it let it go ahead. You got to press the accelerator and you go ahead. This is since the day I test drove the car and I'm stating the DCT box. At slopes, I notice when you don't press the brake, the car stays at the same spot, but at other times it goes ahead on its own.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2020 at 08:27. Reason: Typos
Old 17th October 2020, 11:57   #15

Last year i was almost about to book Seltos 1.5 IVT, but decided against it- the prime reason was brakes. I had 2 big issues with its brakes

1. The brakes felt spongy, had to press real hard to have them engaged effectively and stop the vehicle

2. I had to do panic braking as there was a truck that came wrong way. The Seltos, to my surprise- skidded for around 20 meters ( agreed the road had gravels and was broken ) before coming to halt. but the effect was that i totally lost trust on brakes of Seltos.

The above experiences were on different test vehicles, and wasnt a specific car's problem. Once i drove Honda city CVT, i knew that this is the car i want. Instead of bells and whistles of Seltos, i went ahead for solid engineering from Honda. 1 year passed by, and i am happy about my decision.
shaleenvashisht is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed