Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2007, 04:29   #16
BHPian

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Right you are, V-16. Those are pretty much all the uses of a push starter with the main utility being that of a keyless operation
the keyless bit loses its meaning as one really does not want to disable the steering lock. so the key is used and then the psh button starter used. mine is just for effect, cause the stock system would have started the car faster.but is nt that the whole point of modding.
Old 7th May 2007, 11:00   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After my standard switch assembly packed up, my Jeep was converted to a push-button starter. Dont know about the intended utility for other cars, but its just darn cool to use!
Old 7th May 2007, 11:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After my standard switch assembly packed up, my Jeep was converted to a push-button starter. Dont know about the intended utility for other cars, but its just darn cool to use!
Hey GTO, Can you please share with us, where you got the button start done and how much did it cost you?
Old 8th May 2007, 22:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Hey GTO, Can you please share with us, where you got the button start done and how much did it cost you?
BUMP, any inputs...................
Old 8th May 2007, 22:47   #20
BHPian

I do not know about the technical benefits of a push button start but from comfort point of view, it is a step in the direction of moving towards total keyless access. Push button start coupled with proximity sensors for the remote and you dont have to touch the key or remote to get in and drive. Just put it in your pocket and the car is ready to go.
Right now only few cars have the proximity sensors where the car unlocks as soon as you are within two feet of the car. So when you want your passenger to drive the car, all you need to do is switch seats, no need to hand over the keys
Old 9th May 2007, 00:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right now only few cars have the proximity sensors where the car unlocks as soon as you are within two feet of the car
It comes in the Mercedes Benz S Class which has hand recongnition, if you have the card in your pocket it will open the doors.
Old 9th May 2007, 01:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
It comes in the Mercedes Benz S Class which has hand recongnition, if you have the card in your pocket it will open the doors.
it's called KeylessGo and it can be had in all the cars from C-Class to S-Class
Old 10th May 2007, 12:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
What is the exact use of the Push Button Starter found in BMW 3-Series when compared to the traditional method of starting ?

Is it to completely eliminate the usage of key in addition to the use of keyless entry system for locking/unlocking the car ?

A push button starter was standard in old sports car, and has been associated with sporty performance. This is especially true for most of the british sports cars in early 70s. Today manufacturers are tuning to this retro styling and providing push button starts/wooden dashboard etc
Old 10th May 2007, 12:43   #24
BHPian

in the new 3series the remote can be used to unlock the car, roll up or roll down the windows, and unlock the steering column, and you can start the car with the remote in the pocket. you can even open the damn car with the remote in the pocket and touching the door handle The key per say is not even a Key it is a square plastic thing, in the us it sells for $1000 and is called as Comfort Access... here is a pic

if you convert your car to a remote start ideally you will need to still put your key in the car to unlock the steering column, there are several people on another fourm (mentioning which has gotten my posts deleted) which have done this successfully, it is a very simple DIY once you source the button; which is easily available in the us
Old 10th May 2007, 13:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

When it was added in S2000, it was just to show off the sportiness without keyless. All race cars have it that way
Old 10th May 2007, 15:12   #26
BHPian

Hey Guyz

Are we talking something like this which can be used in Indian cars...

I saw this in Abix Swift Garage...

Can someone put more light on this...

And how much does it cost & is it easily connected to any car without much of changes...

Thanx...
Old 10th May 2007, 16:29   #27
BHPian

In the BMW the card OR the keyless remote acts as a key. Once the door is open the card is inserted into the slot and then the push button is used to start the car....So if you have a push start and the remote unlocking, you still have to carry the "Conventional Key" to open the steering lock and get the car to ON mode...
Old 23rd November 2007, 16:12   #28
BHPian

BUMP!! BUMP!!
I am thinking of getting a Push-button switch for my Esteem. Has anyone got this conversion done? How reliable is it? Where can we get these in Bangalore?
Old 23rd November 2007, 20:02   #29
BANNED

This push button thingie is there in all heavy vehicles - trucks, buses, etc. The thing itself should not cost more than 50 bucks to manufacture. Retail price, of course, may be in stratospheric range.

It just consists of two metal strips, which get connected by another metal road which is at the other end of the button. On trucks and buses, when the strips wear off, (sparking), the drivers use a coin, reach out under the dash, and connect the two terminals using the coin. I have done it several times. If you are not quick to remove the coin, you are likely to get a gentle reminder that the engine is cranked and running. lol. Depending on the price, the metal strip and rods may be copper, gold, silver, etc.
Old 24th November 2007, 00:51   #30
BHPian

I was introduced to start buttons in the HOnda S2000 and the struck me as very exotic. I wanted for a long time to fit my MX-5s with a starter button There is a kit available that fits the cigarette lighter socket, which is very convenient since in the first generation MX-5, the cig lighter socket is right next to the the ignition key. But anyway, I got a Lotus Sport Elise that has a starter button, and after a few weeks of use, at best it became a quaint amusement. The thrill wore off pretty fast. Even now its a tickle on occasion, but just as many times it can irritating when I forget about the button and try to turn the key and nothing happens. Perhaps the problem is that the key has to turned on with one hand and the button operated with the other.

Either way, my point is, its not all that big a deal after you get used to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks