Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2007, 05:33   #1
BANNED

Use of Push Button Starter

What is the exact use of the Push Button Starter found in BMW 3-Series when compared to the traditional method of starting ?

Is it to completely eliminate the usage of key in addition to the use of keyless entry system for locking/unlocking the car ?

Old 20th March 2007, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

well you got it right, the use of keyless entry is the main cause as the security is very high here as compared to keys. also to give it the old retro feel i guess. Well most of these keyless systems have a provision of starting the car from the remote and switching on the a/c too, which is very useful in hot countries. may have other uses which our other team mates would like to throw some light on?
Old 20th March 2007, 12:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Right you are, V-16. Those are pretty much all the uses of a push starter with the main utility being that of a keyless operation
Old 20th March 2007, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

And not to mention that it gives the owner one more gimmick/gadget to play with!!
Old 20th March 2007, 15:40   #5
BHPian

I really don't see any advantage of using push button start/stop button. Not only BMW, nowadays standard Honda Civic, Toyota Auris etc. are providing start button. VW has gone one step higher and provided an eletronic button for parking brake in their latest Passat model (many people complain that it doens't properly release wheels always).

You pay high price for these cars - so you are entitled to get some toys

PS: I agree with V12's comment about keyless entry provision. But I test drove a Honda Civic which didn't have key less entry system yet had the red START button. May be Microsoft finally started designing cars.

Last edited by sbasak : 20th March 2007 at 15:43.
Old 20th March 2007, 18:08   #6
BHPian

Philosophically, anything very great or very small have many virtues in common.

So does the BMW or the Bugatti Veyron and a diesel hauling truck

Sorry for an out-of-the way comment, but I was too tempted to put this in here.

Yes, it does not have any more advantage than starting the engine, what else will one do when there is no keyhole !!
Old 20th March 2007, 18:16   #7
BANNED

I feel there is a seperate starter button as it helps in switching more amps .

Most of the dedicated starter switches have gold plated terminals and massive copper leads ,and chances of a breakdown are minimal.

in case if the starter switch was located within the key ,and if the starter switch alone fails , the owner might have to shell out for the whole system .

This happened on my honda fire balde cbr929 when I lost the only key and had to replace the ECU and lock set which set me back by about 70,000 rs .
The hondas have a stupid HISS system in them .
Old 20th March 2007, 18:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
PS: I agree with V12's comment about keyless entry provision. But I test drove a Honda Civic which didn't have key less entry system yet had the red START button. May be Microsoft finally started designing cars.

Firstly thats V-16 not V-12

Regarding the remote having the start button ..im sure it must be on a remote or on the key (ive yet to see that). Even a remote is actually aKeyless Entry.as that is what its made for, opening your car without a key. Other functions on a remote of a keyless entry system/security system are blinking lights and horn for security or more over for finding your car in a huge parking lot and a/c on/off was given to keep your car cold in hot countries to keep the car cool when ure parked a little further than ur daily walk..basically making us all lazy and spoilt
Old 21st March 2007, 14:39   #9
Awaiting Email Confirmation

push button starts also contribute to electrical start up systems,usually when theres alot of amperes involved then it makes sense.unless its the ones from china..or taiwan that only make a car look cooler.
Old 1st April 2007, 15:21   #10
BHPian

i had made my Esteems starter a push button one. But have not installed any keyless entry sys.
Old 3rd April 2007, 05:21   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatafarose View Post
i had made my Esteems starter a push button one. But have not installed any keyless entry sys.
From where did you convert your Esteem ?

What was the cost incurred ?
Old 3rd April 2007, 10:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

i was running a push button starter in my dolphin but then one day the button got stuck LOL. One starter motor served, sir!!!

Switched back to key switch from a fiat 1100 which i bought brand new for 20 rupees. Hehe.
Old 3rd April 2007, 13:06   #13

heya v-16..how much does the conversion from the regular key start to the 'push button start' cost? is it long lasting or will just conk off in some time? and where can i get it done in bombay.im referring to a mitsubishi lancer. thanks man
Old 3rd April 2007, 14:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was the cost incurred ?
Abix has a push button start in his Swift.
maybe he can give you an idea about the cost.
Old 4th April 2007, 03:27   #15
BHPian

push start car?hmmm.... i dont know.
there's something very definitely male about turning the key to start an engine.
but then again i havent seen kimi or alonso carry a bunch of keys!

Most Viewed