Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:26   #31

re: Resurrecting a loved one: My salvage '11 Honda Civic (rollover crash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Thank God you and your friends are safe and that too at these difficult times!
Thank you for your advice, I think I would get a new car and remember Kate in good light, currently I have come back to Odisha and hence don’t need a car until office resumes in Mumbai (hopefully in December).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you really want to look at it sentimentally, consider your life the last gift from Kate, and let her rest in peace.
I agree, it is because of Kate that one I am alive and two I have my limbs intact. The outcome of this accident could have been drastically different if not for the great build quality Kate had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Thank lord, glad that you all escaped unscathed, part of the credit goes to the build quality of the car as well.
Agreed, I owe it to the great build quality of the car which ensured that all the occupants did not take any physical beating and given how much I can nag about rattles in a car I think I will keep away from this adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Kate has served you well. I'm glad that all the occupants got out with minor scratches after such a major accident.
Kate has definitely served me and my friends well, all of us owe our lives and limbs to her and as rightly pointed by you, I should stay away from an ownership experience which would only cause annoyance and burn a hole in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Firstly, extremely glad to know you all escaped unhurt, thanks to your wonderful car. I too go by the opinion that it's best to let her rest in peace. Kate entered your life and fulfilled her duty to the fullest. The damage sure seems to be something that will always be pronounced how much ever effort is put to fix it, especially with its structural integrity compromised. I know it hurts a lot, but I wish you find a new, wonderful steed soon.
Thank you for your good wishes, I will be going ahead with a new car but that’s probably in December, currently I am staying with my parents in Odisha due to the pandemic and would continue to do so until December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
Like other BHPians on this thread, I'll say the same thing, let Kate rest in peace.
Thank you so much for this and yes I am aware of the effect the 8th generation has on enthusiasts and non-car guys. That said I am not too sure of getting another 8th generation Civic (but given how I absolutely love a white well maintained civic I cannot or may not be able to hold myself the next time I get an opportunity to buy one). But I am not buying another second hand car if its not (a) 8th Generation Honda Civic (b) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX or X (c) a Porsche Carrera GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Fixing a totaled car is not a good idea, when extent of damage is as sever as this. It's a unibody car, not a body on frame car. Suspension geometry must have gone for a toss. Its not a base model hatchback which would only see innercity runs. This is a car which is driven spiritedly. The taut planted feel you had before would never return. So, say good bye to it and look for another Civic. There are plenty many available in used market.
That is true, even if I would fix it, I would continue to use this on highways as I hate to drive in the City, so I see the point you are making and would steer away from this adventure. If I ever decide to go with a pre-worshiped car again it absolutely has to be either (a) 8th Generation Honda Civic (b) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX or X (c) a Porsche Carrera GT (definitely out of reach as of now). I hate the surprises with a second hand car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
While the opening pics of your post pretty much summed it up for me, I was just hoping that all the passengers in that car came out safe. Felt really glad, to read it later in your post.
Thank you for your good wishes, I think I will just stick to a new car this time (its not pleasant to be absolutely clueless about the mechanical issues that your car has or would show-up in the near future) unless if it is (a) 8th Generation Honda Civic (b) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX or X (Please let me know if you know anyone who would be willing to sell their Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X in India) (c) a Porsche Carrera GT (not as of now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Simple, ask your friend to make up for the huge loss.
Maybe she can find you another Civic or a brand new car.
Please don't drive this totalled car around to avoid other mishaps due part failure in future. And make sure to get it scrapped, ie RC cancelled or at least transfer it to the scrap dealers name to avoid hassles in future.
Thanks, I will go for a new car in December (once work requires me to go back to Mumbai). And I cant ask my friend to make up for this because (a) she’s actually my girlfriend (b) she had almost got a me second Civic but thank god she asked me before putting her money on it (she also knows how picky I am when it comes to cars) (c) I have actually made more money out of the insurance claim settlement than the actual amount I had spent in procuring the car (it was a pre-worshiped car with a greater IDV) and (d) she’s already too guilty about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
Tears rolling as I see pictures of this beauty in such a state. If I were in your place I would have done the same to think about rebuilding it again from literally 'scratch'.
It tears my heart thinking about all the time I had invested in perfecting this car (in stock) but I guess its better to have her in memories (in good light) rather than have it in flesh and constantly whine about the refinement issues and be scared about its structural integrity. Also, brownie points to you on guessing the name of my second car correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
You are so right here. However attached you are to the car, spending a million plus on repairs on 9 year old Civic just does not make sense.
Thank you for your advice on the matter and thank you for acknowledging the emotional value this car holds for me, I definitely needed to hear this bit from someone. It could actually do in-city errands but then I hardly use the car in the city, I cab my way around the city and the only form of stress release activity known to be in Mumbai is to go on weekend road trips, given I only have 1 parking spot available to me (thanks to me being a bachelor I had to quite literally fight it out with people and become best friends with the society’s secretary for getting that one parking spot as well) so I would need that one car to do both things. That said, after this accident I would not like to take my chances on the airbags not functioning, at this point it just seems too scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
Your thread reminds me of an amazing old thread by a lawyer who was into repair and resurrection of insurance write offs as a hobby.
Thank you for sharing this, I had actually decided to go ahead with this procedure after reading the post shared by you, as this post showcases repair of totalled cars in good light (with certain pain points that I was willing to live with). However, I am glad I sought the community’s help on this as I got some great insights on this topic which will help me decide better (I have decided not to go with the repair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Please do not make the mistake of restoring this car. The structural integrity has been compromised and will never be the same again. It will never drive straight, will have suspension alignment issues and will be plagued with rattles.
Thank you for your considered view, I am glad I sought the community’s help over this to get advice from experts like you. Your argument on the airbags bit is quite compelling, I mean by salvage car dealer has already showed his concerns on fitting new airbags on the car, he has already mentioned that it’s a little difficult for him to source the airbag and its components. Post this accident I am not willing to compromise on the safety features that my car originally had. In light of the same I will steer away from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I imagine whatever advise you were seeking has been answered by all the members in their respective posts, and that you will make the right decision.
Hi, I hope you didn’t face any major predicament due to those experiences you’ve listed and I hope everyone who was in company with you during those events are also fine. I am not too sure of the circumstances (as I trusted my friend’s driving skills), but then my friend had just started to drive so she was adjusting the aircons to her liking. I believe that the car was in triple digits (not too sure but for a car requires such speeds to have sufficient momentum to flip 4 times but then I am not too sure I mean this could also happen at 80KMPH). So while adjusting the aircons she didn’t take a right hander corner (a typical long curve which requires minimal steering input to navigate). She was I think 1 second late to turn in, but when she realised as an instant reaction to save the day, she turned the entire wheel right at that speed. The car lost control at that moment and then we tried to correct the steering, but it was too late, my front left tyre had made it contact with the right hand side divider which caused the car to flip 4 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
It is very likely that the car flipped because it hit the road divider at speed. It can happen to low CG sedans too, not just top heavy cars or SUVs.
That is exactly what happened, even I was surprised how did a car like civic which has such a low center of gravity flip so many times.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd August 2020 at 14:02. Reason: Quoted text edited; reduced quoted post
aroopdas93 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Repairing this car would literally be flogging a dead horse. (How that poor emoji is misunderstood and misused).

I’m more interested in your learnings from this episode. My immediate thoughts are:
  1. Undertaking a cross country trip during the pandemic is irresponsible in more ways than one.
  2. Driving at speed is very different from city driving.
  3. Learn how to judge others driving skills better. Which implies being a better (not faster) driver oneself by understanding and predicting threats, defensive driving.
  4. Becoming a better teacher in how to drive a car.
  5. How lucky you and your friends really are.

My intention is not to moralise, but honestly an accident should teach one a lot more than about insurance claims and repair bills.
VeluM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroopdas93 View Post
So while adjusting the aircons...
Something similar related to Aircon happened to us few years ago. Unlike yours, ours was a near-miss!

Me, dad and mom were in the Dzire. We were on the highway on a day long journey. I was driving in right most lane doing around 60-70 kph (I am sure I was not going fast), dad was talking to someone on phone besides me and mom on backseat. If I remember correctly, it had three lanes each side. Since Dzire does not come with rear vents, I was trying to adjust both centre vents so as to direct air towards backseat. I got lost into the aircon adjustment. The car moved past centre lane, came almost till extreme left of left most lane, when dad suddenly warned me and I immediately corrected the steering. Got saved from going into the dry ditch which was around 15-20 ft deep. Since speed was slow, nothing happened but it did feel scary as to what would have happened if I was not warned, just in time

Lesson learnt, do not get distracted while at the wheel!

MUST give credit to TBHP, its only due to the content quality of this forum that I have escaped a few times which would have resulted in accidents. So many times I have seen, just after a sweeping right hander on the highway, a truck stranded! Then I thank myself I was NOT on the right most lane!

I owe this to TBHP that I always drive in centre lane on a three lane highway. And many other good driving habits I have acquired, like wearing seat belts even for shortest of travel, etc. Even before I was a member here, I was a regular reader here for a long time, especially 'Accidents in India' thread. Learnt a lot from that thread.
Mynameis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:19   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Resurrecting a loved one: My salvage '11 Honda Civic (rollover crash)

Glad you guys got away okay. Since you love the Civic, the best news for you is that used Civics are cheap in the market = You can get a very good condition Civic for just 2 lakhs in Bombay . Buy another structurally-sound example.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:58   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would just move on, as I love myself and my family more than my cars. This car has taken a serious hit and its integrity is BIG question mark. It did its job of protecting you and your friend, job done and time to say thanks and Goodbye. Buy another safer car and move on. Glad you are your friend came out safe and sound, without hurting anyone else on the street.

Don't be so much emotional to put yourself through all the pain for repairing, working with mechanics/workshops/scrap dealers/RTO/etc., and still not meeting the safety requirement. Time to move on and have peace of mind.

Last edited by manjubp : 2nd August 2020 at 11:59.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 16:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroopdas93 View Post
Whether I should engage myself in this adventure or should I steer clear of this entire circumstance and stay happy with my insurance settlement?
Take the money and steer clear of any un authorised persons tinkering or repairing the car. While I'm a believer that every machine can be fixed - given the budget you are looking it, it would be simply wise to take the insurance money and get a new Civic.

Take this from a person who was involved in a similar roll-over and we decided to get they money and scrap the car.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad you are ok. Your car has served you very well and its time is over.

Sorry if I sound pedantic. Your Honda Civic isn't a JDM unless it was manufactured in Japan for the Japanese domestic market and imported to India.

I do agree that this generation of Civic was a prime example of Honda India's excellence in car manufacturing. It just went downhill after that.

Happy car shopping!
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:57   #38
BHPian

Happy to know that you are safe!!

Like you I also had the same love and hopes of preserving the firsts. My car was dad's hand me down Indica which was doing good and had no issues until a Tata 407 driver forgot to apply his hand brake and it rolled perpendicular into my parked vehicle. No one was injured but the car's B pillar & doors were substantially dented. While the car wasn't a total loss, I was not willing to spend around 30 k (no airbags etc) on getting it to top shape ( on a small salary, it was a huge sum). Got a donor car, replaced the door etc got it to running shape for around 5k (of which 4 k was given by the tempo driver) and used it for another year and a half before I decided to let it go. It somehow never felt the same again.

My choice would be to let it go and hunt/plunge for something which is not totalled. In your case the electronics add to the difficulty. So far the engine etc appears fine but you never know how hailine cracks in the castings may cause future problems.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:01   #39
BHPian

Glad to know you guys are safe! Sorry about your car, but do not try to rebuild the car. Its not worth it since the car has taken multiple hits at all important areas of the car. If it was just cosmetics then you could have easily rebuilt it, but since the structural integrity is damaged, its not worth the risk.
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:25   #40
BHPian

You seem to have been guided by the forum into a decision so I won't go there but am curious, how angry were you at your friend?

A very dear friend of mine once opened the door very close to a pillar in a mall parking, minor dent and I was fuming for an hour
Stribog is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:30   #41
BHPian

Glad that all of you are fine after that rollover, my guess is that everybody was properly belted up. My answer is no different from anybody else's and I too would advise you to stay away.
Somehow when you talk of trying to bring her back to life, one thing that immediately struck my head was - Pet Sematary
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Reminds me of an analogy, once under the knife, forever altered.
For what it's worth, the car is blatantly suited to be written off and in the end you get peace of mind and safety which is far more worth the mended car and the safety of you and your fellow passengers.

There is no point restoring this car, though it has given you another life, sentiments apart, give it a farewell and get a pre-owned one of the same lineage.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:03   #43
BHPian

Good you guys are safe, don’t ever forget the lessons learnt from this incident so far, and the ones which are yet to come.

No resurrection, Absolutely no. My practical advice is if you really want to have the emotional connect and also not lose much money you can re-purchase your car as salvage, since you have put a lot of new parts in it, and you very well know what are those, look for another Civic, Change the parts you need from your car with the next Civic you buy, that way Kate will live on with you, plus you save a lot of money.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Glad that you all crawled out safely from that mess Aroop. I will tell you my experience. I was driving to Tirupathi from Hyd and I experienced a near fatal accident. My car got hit really badly and it was towed to a nearby Maruti showroom. As the norm is, the service center gave an estimate that was more than the IDV on my insurance. He gave me an option to go for a total loss. I said yes and got a decent sum back in around 30 days.

The point I am trying to make is, no matter how much you try to get it repaired or fixed, you will definitely experience niggles that will be hard to get rid of. I understand your sentiment but during these circumstances, it is good to listen to your brain than your heart. Also, if this is fixed anywhere (outside Honda ASS), I am not confident that a neat job will be done. If you are fine with driving to your mechanic every now and then for issues (read niggles) that are persistent, then it should be OK. As you see, all of us no matter what car or bike or truck we like, there is one thing that we all expect - peace of mind. We all need peace of mind after we get into the cockpit and should feel reassuringly safe.

Like one of the forum members mentioned, there is a high chance of structural stability being compromised in such situations. If you ask me, let go with a heavy heart. Thank the car for saving your life and move on. Best of luck.
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:03   #45
BHPian

Host a farewell party for your Civic and cherish the wonderful memories and second life it has offered you. Because there is a high chance that if you get this car repaired, you might face future bad experiences and frequent workshop visits which will eventually spoil your emotions for this car.

So part on a good note, celebrate the farewell, click pictures, say thank you and buy another car!
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks