Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:33   #31
BANNED

Mods. Is not the title a bit of a misnomer.

Be careful of the stated ground clearance for a car. This is the height of the lowest part of the car above the ground. Almost invariably it is the steering linkage between the front wheels. This point due to its location will ride up and down with the vehicle as it goes over a bump. So is almost irrelevant as far as the car hitting the tarmac is concerned. What will hit the ground is something else - exhaust, or mid body. This may also depend on how soft the suspension is. So do not take the GC figure as the truth, in practice it will be something else which will matter!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:13   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thanks for this input!

now the Scorpio has a GC of 180mm
the Bolero I think has 200mm
Gypsy has 210mm

As far as I know the lowest bit of my Scorpio is the differential gear housing at the rear of the vehicle. Is this correct or not?

I ve taken all these vehicles off the tarmac a number of times and have been able for the most part to drive over several obstacles etc, without any parts bottoming out.

I am however very careful over our "home-made desi" speed breakers owing to their height and lack of proper banking etc.

Await your further inputs

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Be careful of the stated ground clearance for a car. This is the height of the lowest part of the car above the ground. Almost invariably it is the steering linkage between the front wheels. This point due to its location will ride up and down with the vehicle as it goes over a bump. So is almost irrelevant as far as the car hitting the tarmac is concerned. What will hit the ground is something else - exhaust, or mid body. This may also depend on how soft the suspension is. So do not take the GC figure as the truth, in practice it will be something else which will matter!
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:51   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

As far as I know the lowest bit of my Scorpio is the differential gear housing at the rear of the vehicle. Is this correct or not?
I was writing in the context of fwd 2-wheel drive vehicles, i.e. modern day cars. With the Scorpio what you say is very much possible. Just check the bottom of the sump and/or steering linkages and compare. Remember I stated 'almost' .... almost expecting what you raised!
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Totally agree! It is to do with the designing of the vehicle where the lowest points are in line with the front or the rear wheels, giving in reality a much better GC.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:13   #35
BHPian

My Wagon-R Lxi with stock tyres used to scrap every desi speadbreakers, But after changed them to 155/70/R13 CONTINENTAL tyres, GC has been increased by 8mm now. I am pretty much happy now and i easily avoid the scrappings on the same speed breakers(the same driving style over them with 5 on seat). This calculation helped me to choose 155/70 profile.

GC of Wagon-R Lxi (165mm)

145*0.7 = 101mm (Stock) 165mm
155*0.7 = 108mm (conti) 165+7=172mm now
155*0.6 = 100mm (Michelin) Lowered by 1mm
Old 10th November 2012, 10:41   #36
BANNED

Re: Ground Clearance

So what happens when the company itself provides different stock tyres in the in the different versions of the same model. For example, the stock typre on Etios G is 175/65/R14 and on Etios V is 185/60/R15. Now the diameter different between the two is 20 mm and therefore a huge 10 mm difference in height. However the company states the GC of all versions as 170. So, does it mean that they make changes for the G or V version (in suspension or whereever) to keep 170mm GC in both versions or in reality there would be a difference in the GC of the two versions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks