Team-BHP - Brake light indicator on console turning on
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Brake light indicator on console turning on (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/22591-brake-light-indicator-console-turning.html)

Hello All,
I have been facing a problem with my Acceent (GLS, 2000, 40K). Here is the story:
Three weeks back, I had to brake hard to avoid hitting an oncoming biker. After few minutes of driving, the brake light indicator on the console was on. The indicator turned off after few minutes of driving. Next day when I started the car, the indicator was back on again! I checked the brake oil level and it was more than 3/4 filled, I thought that might be it. Later than day I got the brake oil topped up the brake oil and voila the indicator light was off.
I am writing this today when the brake light indicator is on again and when I checked the brake oil level it is back to 3/4 full. I suspect that there is some leakage, I don't find any around the brake oil container or below the car (I checked for any oil marks after deparking the car).
The brakes are working fine so far and I don't feel any loss of braking power. What could be the reason behind it? I plan to take the car to mechanic but wish to do my homework before I do this.
Any help is appreciated, thx!

I faced similar problem in m Petra for a couple of months, have been told there is a slow leakage in master cylinder. It came close to replacing the part and stopped for lack of parts. Interestingly I have not faced the problem after filling oil again in January 07. The alternate mechanic I took the car to could not find any. I suggest you get it checked for leakages as safety will b compromised otherwise.

Definitely some leakage along the lines or cylinders.

The brake light comes on in three situations (most probably)
1) Brake fluid below the level it should be
2) Brake pad worn out warning
3)Hand brakes worn out.
Since u have a leakage problem, why does the light come on even when its 3/4th full? It should only come on if the brake fluid is below or close to the reserve mark. Pl go to your mechanic as this could give you a surprise when you least expect it.

Go to the service station immediately man. Any warning light on the cosole is not a good thing at all. I agree with v-16 . You either need to top up the brake oil or change the brake pads and do check for the leakages.

The brake light indicator comes on when the fluid level is low, brake pads are worn out, pressure in the lines drop, leakage in lines and any malfunction in the master cylinder.

I experienced this in my Safari. Once when the fluid level dangerously went down, second when the master cylinder failed.

When the master cylinder was failing then the light would blink on and off. It took quite a while to decipher the problem though.

It was only when the pedal sank when pressed that the problem was found out. Thankfully no casualties..

Without fail rush to the garage immediately. drive slow and pump the brake pedal vigorously several times to build up the pressure in the lines while applying brake. And don't forget to switch on the hazard lights...

I had the same issue with my Accent. The service people reported that a rubber part in the brake assembly for the left rear wheel was at fault. It costed around 500 to replace and not covered under warranty(being rubber). So I talked them into replacing the entire assembly (around 2K) and they did it free of cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalluDude (Post 399576)
I had the same issue with my Accent. The service people reported that a rubber part in the brake assembly for the left rear wheel was at fault. It costed around 500 to replace and not covered under warranty(being rubber). So I talked them into replacing the entire assembly (around 2K) and they did it free of cost.

Hey,

That was smart. changing the whole thing instead of the rubber part. At the end of the day if the car is under warranty they should have done that anyway but normally would not till you can convince them or have good PR with the service manager, the dealer is anyway going to get the replacement from the company, so it does not hurt them to do the job. Good for you !!:Cheering: