Team-BHP - Hand Brake issues
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Hand Brake issues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/22605-hand-brake-issues.html)

Team,

This is the third time that I am facing the same problem, I was out of station for the last 5 days or so, When I came back the car refused to move, As in The hand brake was jammed, Tried pushing it up and down and after a while it became free,

Would this be an issue with regards to the cable or somethin else?

Any input would be appreciated!!please:

your liners are jammed,get them serviced thats all.

When not in use, the Hand or Parking brake tends to have a mind of its own. May be yours is a cable related issue but since the cars not moving or gets jammed as you say, try the hand brake pads..they are ususlly the culprits.

in my carb zen the handbrake has become really week.its not existant even when pulled up 3/4...i can still push the car by myself.....only when i pull it all the way up really tight does it lock.so what could be the problem and what do i need to get changed ?

rev

check the cable and the hand brake pads

i have a feeling its just the cable but once im at it will also check out the brack pads.but i have one question could i get a bigger cars brake pad fitted instead like say for example an esteems ? or all handbrake brake pads almost the same ?

rev

since they are both from the maruti stable, it might be possible to swap pads but you really dont wanna do that. just get a oe zen pad and fit ti. If done right, its more than sufficient.

Thanks team, appreciate it, will get the same checked this weekend and update all!

Methinks it's more cable related than the pads themselves, considering that it released after 4-5 push-up/downs (for want of a better term).

Better to get the entire rear braking system checked. A shot at the front might also not be such a bad thing while you're at it.

have checked the front brakes when i recently re did my suspension so i guess its just the rears that i may have to look into....

Can anyone confirm is it right to put your car on hand brake when you leave your car in office parking in the morning or at night ?
.. or put it in gear

I normally do both - put the car in gear (normally first) and pull up the hand brake. But i use a light hand on the hand brake

okay people, here's my handbrake query/problem:

on my 2003 Ikon, I can sometimes (quite often) hear a groaning sound coming from the rear drum brakes when they are solely under pressure. This is caused only during these two handbrake scenarios:

a) The car is parked, handbrake is up, and someone sits in the rear seats heavily.

b) When coming to a stop in a red light, the handbrake is pulled at the last second right before the car is at a complete stop. (i.e. the handbrake is pulled when the car is still rolling, albeit very slowly, to a stop)

Now, I know (b) is not recommended, and I really don't do it often. However, the groaning from the rear drums is what worries me...

Could it be the hand brake pads?? Are hand brake pads different from the regular drum brake pads? Or is the cable wearing out?

It's your pads, vezj420. Along with a bit of reluctance from your release cable.

Get both serviced.

Hey thanks Elf! Leaving only question unanswered...are hand brake pads different from the regular rear brake shoes on drums?