Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 21:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Before you buy ,check if the car knocks when the AC is on, Many fellow bhpians are finding it difficult to cope-up with,Not really sure if this issue is there on the new versions....Anyways give it a shot

Best of luck
Not with my car...initially it was there but it faded away after my long drives with AC on...Specially during Kolkata trip, the AC was on for about 11-12hrs a day with 4-5 hrs continuously...

The idea is pls dont put on/off AC regularly even while overtaking, you will slowly get used to it and engine will respond accordingly...Now I dont face any problem overtaking in a 2 laned highway, mostly I do it in 4th and 5th gears....

During my 5th service last week, Lokesh of Surakshaa (MASS) took it for test drive and simply asked me to put on the AC and he complimented about it and told that this is the first Alto he has ever driven with such a negligible power drop...He felt as if u r driving without AC...probably long drives helps tune up the car better...and i dont think there are many who take a small car like Alto into such long drives and so frequently as I do, hence they dont see the change....

Actually I myself got so used to drive with AC in the 2 laned highways but when Lokesh pointed it out, I felt that there was indeed a change...

BTW, I am in the process of writing a LTO report and did mention about it...will be posting in a few days...

Abhi
Old 28th March 2007, 21:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

I do long drives on my car. Infact, I never drive without AC except when I return home at 2am in the morning. Out of the 10000 odd kms, that I have done on my car, about 7000+kms were on the highway, Kerala, Bangalore, Pondicherry, Velankanni etc

The issue is at low speeds especially on 2nd gear. The torque is greatly reduced when the AC is switched on.
Old 29th March 2007, 07:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
The issue is at low speeds especially on 2nd gear. The torque is greatly reduced when the AC is switched on.
There is definitely a reduction in 2nd gear but try Press the pedal a bit / push a bit hard, slowly it will be synchronized...anyway, if the lag is too much then there is a problem...

Abhi
Old 29th March 2007, 08:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well yes you can go for Alto Lx if you are on a tighter budget. It's good car you wont regret... And good luck with buying and keep us posted about your buying and ownership experience.
Thanks abhi and all. Surely will write about my experiences with it once i buy it. One more thing, how much does it cost to put sun films for sides and back window, planning for VKool and who does it best in Bangalore?
Old 29th March 2007, 09:13   #20
elf
BANNED

Sorry, I came in late.

ramki067, it's a great car to have. Apart from the IAC valve issue which most of us face, there's no problem at all with the car - it's great for 2-4 slim people. Gas mileage is phenomenal, parts are cheap as hell, the service network is legendary, & the power (without the air-con) is decent.

Although mine (wifey's) is an Lx, I'd advise power steering Lxi variant for the city, in case you ever plan to go in for alloys or thicker tyres. If you don't, then the Lx, without power steering is great.

The sun film for the Alto (Garware) came for about 1.0k for the sides & back. About VKool for the Alto I have no idea.
Old 29th March 2007, 10:36   #21
Team-BHP Support

Ramki, try and work out with the dealer to throw in some goodies ... u can try and bargain for solar films too...
Old 29th March 2007, 10:37   #22
BHPian

It's LXi Pal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I'd advise power steering Lxi variant for the city, in case you ever plan to go in for alloys or thicker tyres. If you don't, then the Lx, without power steering is great.
I Second ELF, please go in for LXi, I've driven both LX and LXi (Both over 1000 Kms), the steering feels a lot heavier as compared to other Maruti small cars (800, OMNI). LXi is about 20K more compared to LX, but trust me it’s worth Investing that 20K. And about AC usage power drop, It’ll get synchronized after long drives with AC on, Only in 2nd gear you’ll really feel that torque loss. Happy Buying Pal. I’m sure you’ll soon write a LTO report.
../Mega
Old 29th March 2007, 10:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Thanks abhi and all. Surely will write about my experiences with it once i buy it. One more thing, how much does it cost to put sun films for sides and back window, planning for VKool and who does it best in Bangalore?
I got the sunfilm as a goodie (it costed Rs 2000), dont remember which brand....but its nice...Press for discounts and goodies...

Abhi
Old 29th March 2007, 11:24   #24
BHPian

Indeed power steering Alto (LXi) will be worth it. It will make driving a much more pleasant experience.

As for mileage, a relative of mine owning Alto LX gets 27 kmpl ! So mileage is no problem.

Best of luck for your purchase.
Old 29th March 2007, 12:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
As for mileage, a relative of mine owning Alto LX gets 27 kmpl ! So mileage is no problem.
Why not? You will get 30kmpl if u drive continuously at 50kmph in 5 th gear....Can u do that in a city? Also can u drive like that in a highway? the answer is NO...
Your relative might be joking or doesnt know how to check mileage? Be realistic...in bangalore city driving u can extract upto 17kmpl...
Abhi
Old 24th April 2007, 12:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

I've owned Alto LX @ jul-06 till now it has done 8500km.I feel proud for having this vehicle which return mileage of 18...being a small car I've overlooked for power steering...now can we install PW Steering,how much would it cost...
Old 24th November 2008, 22:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Didnt want to create a new thread for this:

My car has run 25K+ kms. The service for the period completed. The clutch has become very hard. There is no other problem, just its quite hard like a old diesel car. I replaced the gear oil at 20K kms.

1. Can the clutch cable be lubricated or replaced to free the pedal?
2. Can this mean my clutch needs a full overahul? I still feel the clutch has enough punch, only the pedal is hard to operate.
3. Any other ideas free the clutch?
4. What kind of costs am I looking at, for a full overhaul?
Old 24th November 2008, 22:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
1. Can the clutch cable be lubricated or replaced to free the pedal?
2. Can this mean my clutch needs a full overahul? I still feel the clutch has enough punch, only the pedal is hard to operate.
3. Any other ideas free the clutch?
4. What kind of costs am I looking at, for a full overhaul?
looks like your clutch needs overhaul. I have changed mine recently. Pls check the latest posts in my LTO, you will come to know inlcuding costs and all.

Seems, All 2006 Altos are facing early clutch damage.

Anyway have a checkup in the MASS. They can inspect and tell whether you need a overhaul now or you can carry on for some more time.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 24th November 2008 at 22:19.
Old 24th November 2008, 23:33   #29
BHPian

Alto maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi,
I plan to own an Alto Lx. How is the maintenance of this model(i do not intend for Lxi due to budget constraint) after 2 years or so. Is the parts heavier on pockets and do we have to worry about anything other than regular servicing? I'm a very careful driver. I plan to go for short trips during weekends. I live in Bangalore.

Regards,
Ramki
Hi ramki..

I bought a second hand Maruti Alto VX 1.1 model in 2006 January. Though My car has bigger engine then present Alto, i have not faced any maintenance issues even after being a secod hand car. Spares are not very costly and service charges are also reasonable.But i would suggest that if you have money go for Power steering version (LXI) because i have driven both type of Alto and power steering does make a difference.
Old 25th November 2008, 08:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
Hi ramki..

I bought a second hand Maruti Alto VX 1.1 model in 2006 January. Though My car has bigger engine then present Alto, i have not faced any maintenance issues even after being a secod hand car. Spares are not very costly and service charges are also reasonable.But i would suggest that if you have money go for Power steering version (LXI) because i have driven both type of Alto and power steering does make a difference.

Thanks for your suggestions rammishra. But, i've already bought a WagonR
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks