Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 00:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto Servicing at 20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
I never use MASS oils cause they still will charge almost premium brand money and will be using the lowest priced oils which though adheres to the manufacturer's requirements will get them the highest margins.
That is why i want to take my own stuff. They might or might not have good products but for some reason i would like to stay away from castrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Let's GO check your owner's manual.
It should have checklist of stuff one need to change during various service intervals.
Already checked manual and other threads (in fact i took pictures of manual to upload here, but my phone's pic quality is bad. cant read from those pics). That is why i am asking about brands, all these major things need to be replaced in addition to some small ones.

Item Quantity

1) Engine Oil 2.7 L
2) Spark Plugs 3 No.
3) Manual Transmission Oil 2.2 L
4) Engine Coolant 3.5 L
5) Brake Fluid
6) Air Filter (normal change 40k but for dusty conditions 20k)

Item 1 and 2 are taken care of. Item 6 im going to leave to MASS.

Brakes are squeaking so might need to change brake pads too.

Pics of oil and plugs.

Oil Front

OIl Back

Spark Plugs NGK DCPR7E

Last edited by guptavis : 25th February 2011 at 00:53.
Old 25th February 2011, 06:50   #47
BHPian

Out of these, item 6 should be the simplest to DIY. You can get the purolator air filter and fit it yourself. All you need to do is carefully open the clamps of the air filter box, remove the old one and replace it with the new.
I did this for my WagonR, that shares the same design.

One question to the experts: Is there a DIY technique to change the engine oil/filter and spark plugs on our own?
Old 25th February 2011, 09:29   #48
BHPian

Engine oil filter & Spark plug both require a special tool to remove and fit so may not be possible .
Old 25th February 2011, 09:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

@guptavis
I am finicky about the engine oil they use, so I carry my own oil. May be I will carry the gear oil too for my 24 month service, but I am rather OK with their oil filter/air filter/gear oil/coolant/spark plugs (unless I want some special plugs).

The coolant they use is from IOC/BP. Just ensure they use distilled water for mixing and not tap water.The air and oil filters are from Purolator. Plugs are mostly Champion.

Don't measure out 2.7 litres of engine oil but use the entire 3 litre can. Because the sump capacity alone is 2.7 litres and the new oil filter will take in another 200 ml, so 3 litres will not be an over fill.

I also carry a large, clean plastic funnel for pouring the oil in to the engine because they will use a single dirty funnel to pour different grades of oils in to different cars! And carry a clean cloth/tissue for wiping the dipstick while checking oil level, don't let them use their dirty rag!

Last edited by Gansan : 25th February 2011 at 09:49.
Old 25th February 2011, 09:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
@guptavis
Don't measure out 2.7 litres of engine oil but use the entire 3 litre can. Because the sump capacity alone is 2.7 litres and the new oil filter will take in another 200 ml, so 3 litres will not be an over fill.
+1, I always use the full 3 liters of engine oil for my 800 cc Alto, and the level is still below the max mark.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:15   #51
BHPian

@Guptavis: Its good that you are taking engine oil and spark plugs with you.

Just check with MASS whether they will accept products supplied by you? most of them dont accept this practice, but few accept but they put remarks while updating service history to maruti website. Also while updating remarks please verify that they are writing correct grade of oils, else in future it can become a case of warranty violation.
Old 25th February 2011, 23:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Out of these, item 6 should be the simplest to DIY. You can get the purolator air filter and fit it yourself.
Thanks aroop. I know this, i've removed and cleaned my air filter before. But i want to let MASS do it as they might not let me get everything from outside. This is a standard part and will cost the same outside so let them be happy about changing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Just check with MASS whether they will accept products supplied by you?
I talked to MASS and they were ok about me bringing my own Sark Plugs as they did not have NGK. Did not talk about the other things but i think they should be okay with it if i get items 1,2,3 on my own and let them change item 4,5,6. My car is out of warranty so i dont have to worry about that.

Quote:
@guptavis
I am finicky about the engine oil they use, so I carry my own oil. May be I will carry the gear oil too for my 24 month service, but I am rather OK with their oil filter/air filter/gear oil/coolant/spark plugs (unless I want some special plugs).

Don't measure out 2.7 litres of engine oil but use the entire 3 litre can.
I am going to let them change the oil and air filters. Heard NGK spark plugs are good (better than champion) so carrying them. Engine oil and gear oil also.
Still undecided on coolant, but i think will let them do it since they wont like me bringing everything from outside. Thanks for the advice on putting 3L oil.

Found a copy of the Alto manual from Maruti website. Attaching the Maintenance section here.

MODS: Please move the attachment to first post as this will help everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alto_9_(Inspection&Maintenance).pdf (239.1 KB, 10673 views)
Old 26th February 2011, 14:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
That is why i want to take my own stuff. They might or might not have good products but for some reason i would like to stay away from castrol.

Already checked manual and other threads (in fact i took pictures of manual to upload here, but my phone's pic quality is bad. cant read from those pics). That is why i am asking about brands, all these major things need to be replaced in addition to some small ones.

Item Quantity

1) Engine Oil 2.7 L
2) Spark Plugs 3 No.
3) Manual Transmission Oil 2.2 L
4) Engine Coolant 3.5 L
5) Brake Fluid

Item 1 and 2 are taken care of. Item 6 im going to leave to MASS.
No problem, any reputed brand is fine as long as you stick with the manufacturer's specs.

And one question, How come 3.5 litres of coolant?

Isn't the coolant capacity a total of 3 litres of which 1 part is coolant and the other two parts water?(This is in normal conditions, you might need 2:1 ratio instead of 1:2 in very cold or hot climates but still that only makes two litres of coolant.)

Last edited by jalex77 : 26th February 2011 at 14:11.
Old 26th February 2011, 19:32   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Air Filter change at 40k?! Isn't that way too infrequent. Air filters are changed at 10k for all my 3 cars.
Old 26th February 2011, 22:55   #55
BHPian

Re: Maintenance of Maruti Alto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
And one question, How come 3.5 litres of coolant?
Thanks for correcting me jalex77, the total coolant quantity is written as 3.5L in the manual. So i will need only 1L coolant and 2.5L distilled water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Air Filter change at 40k?! Isn't that way too infrequent. Air filters are changed at 10k for all my 3 cars.
Its specified at 40k in the manual. I was thinking to half that interval and change at 20k. Which cars do you own? what do their manuals say?
Old 3rd March 2011, 04:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Air filters are not changed every 10k Kms.

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me jalex77, the total coolant quantity is written as 3.5L in the manual. So i will need only 1L coolant and 2.5L distilled water.

Its specified at 40k in the manual. I was thinking to half that interval and change at 20k. Which cars do you own? what do their manuals say?
I have a K&N and its done 1.02 lakh and still going strong w/o a change. Manual says it would last a lifetime

Last edited by harishnayak : 3rd March 2011 at 05:00. Reason: Addition
Old 3rd March 2011, 07:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish
I have a K&N and its done 1.02 lakh and still going strong w/o a change. Manual says it would last a lifetime
Filter will last. Not the engine.
IF you do a Used oil analysis, you will know how efficient the air filter has been based on the silicon content.
Have you checked your Throttle body and intake manifold for signs of dust?
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Filter will last. Not the engine.
IF you do a Used oil analysis, you will know how efficient the air filter has been based on the silicon content.
Have you checked your Throttle body and intake manifold for signs of dust?
+1 to this.

@guptavis
The recommended change for the stock air filter is 40K KM for the Alto, but I change mine once a year though my annual running is ~ 5000 KM. The cost is too small to bother about and the benefits outweigh it.

They check the spec of my oil with a table they carry for the entire range of Maruti cars and accept it. But they make an endorsement in the job card - "oil brought by customer". I let them use their own oil filter.

If you carry each and every item your car needs for the service it may put them off and affect the service, so use your discretion.
Old 5th March 2011, 23:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I use the normal OEM ones and i am happy changing them at 20k.

Quote:
The recommended change for the stock air filter is 40K KM for the Alto, but I change mine once a year though my annual running is ~ 5000 KM. The cost is too small to bother about and the benefits outweigh it.

They check the spec of my oil with a table they carry for the entire range of Maruti cars and accept it. But they make an endorsement in the job card - "oil brought by customer". I let them use their own oil filter.

If you carry each and every item your car needs for the service it may put them off and affect the service, so use your discretion.
Thanks Gansan, will get the filter changed more frequently.
I will only be carrying Spark plugs, Engine Oil and Gear Oil.

By the way, saw a can of Total Transmission Oil 80W90 in a colleague's car yesterday. That Total Distributor was taking me for a ride
Old 10th March 2011, 22:03   #60
BHPian

Hi all,

Was able to find the other distributor for TOTAL in chandigarh yesterday.
Went there and he had all sorts of TOTAL branded gear oil.

Got 3x 1L cans of TOTAL 'Transtec' 80W90 from him. It says ' Exceeds the requirements of API GL-4 '

MRP. 204 and Mfd. 01/2011. Paid Rs 520 for three bottles. Thats Rs 173/L

Hope this oil is good. The shopkeeper was saying most people like to put 90EP grade oil for ALTO.
EP being Extreme pressure, but i thought its better to stick to the manual which says 75W90 or 80W90 for ALTO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks