Team-BHP - Swift Diesel - excessive engine vibration when Idle. EDIT : Solved by MUL
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift Diesel - excessive engine vibration when Idle. EDIT : Solved by MUL (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/22658-swift-diesel-excessive-engine-vibration-when-idle-edit-solved-mul.html)

I am driving Maruti Swift diesel (VDI) for last 40 days. I have done about 1400 KM and had completed the first service that was due at 1000 KM. The car is excellent (Gives more than 20 KMPL and has great accelaration on 2 to 4 gear), except for one issue -

The engine vibration is excessive for about 1-2 seconds in every 10-15 sec when idling without load (RPM observed is between 800 and 900). This is happening when the engine is warmed up and not observed when cold. This doesn’t happen if there is a load on the vehicle which takes the RPM beyond 950 (Even if I switch on AC at Idle this problem goes away).

The dealer tells me that there has been a similar problem for which Maruti is looking into and they are getting a replacement ECU for the car but the car is drivable. So the dealer adviced me to wait till Maruti comes back with a solution.

Has anyone else observed such a problem? Has Maruti given any solution to this problem?

Note from moderator: Kindly avoid using FONT, SIZE tags

The same problem I observed when I took test drive of this vehicle. Not at idle but at some RPM it vibrates a lot and noise also increases. But once you cross that RPM or comes below that RPM it goes off and the sound becomes like Petrol engine.

Check engine mounts.
Also, Maruti could have set lower idling RPM for good FE.

As indicated earlier the vibration is NOT continuous but periodic once every 15 sec and lasts for 1 sec. In Layman terms the engine is Hunting. Engine mounts were not a problem now was idling. Maruti workshop confirmed this.

how good is the fuel you are using, hope maruti checked your diesel filter also

I have used Shell Diesel fuel always. Fuel shouldn't be an issue but will take it to the shop and ask them for testing the fuel filter. Any other reasons? Has someone experienced the same problem in this forum?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 400649)
Also, Maruti could have set lower idling RPM for good FE.

Can this be done? Considering the fact that idling is set by the ECU?

Air getting in due to a leak?
Here is something you can look at
Diesel Engine Troubleshooting

shell diesel, compared to other diesel this was rated low in the forum if i remember correct, try shifting and see

Which is the best diesel brand available?

There was a question on setting up Idling in the latest models of diesel cars. I tend to believe that ECUs handle this and there is no Manual setup or tune up done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 401952)
shell diesel, compared to other diesel this was rated low in the forum if i remember correct, try shifting and see

Shell Diesel is what I use regularly. And it is good. And the only place I used to get better and consistent quality was the IOC on St. Marks road, same side as Bowring Institute. Dont go there anymore, because of the traffic I have to brave to get there.

And about the problem, it is probably a ECU issue? Suggest you speak directly to a Maruti Engineer. These guys keep turning up at authorized service centers, why dont you ask your service adviser when one of those engineers is expected next?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadukuttan (Post 402127)
And about the problem, it is probably a ECU issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 400607)
The dealer tells me that there has been a similar problem for which Maruti is looking into and they are getting a replacement ECU for the car but the car is drivable.

Sounds like they will replace the ECU............

dear dieselfan,

I had taken a test drive but didnt find this vibration. It was very much refined. Very difficult to tell that it is diesel. In any vehicle after releasing the clutch there will be some vibration. but even that was missing in swift diesel.

Today I had my car fixed. The problem was indeed in the ECU which was replaced and I have got back my car from the workshop and is running pretty smooth and fine without any issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 408028)
Today I had my car fixed. The problem was indeed in the ECU which was replaced and I have got back my car from the workshop and is running pretty smooth and fine without any issues.

Good that you located the problem diesel fan. Each such report has me more worried :confused:. lemme hope that i dont have much issues when i get mine.