Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 19:50   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Engine failure in brand new 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450

Dhruv & Varun share their predicament with us. In my opinion, there is ONLY one solution = a brand new, properly functioning GLE 450 to replace this lemon.

Quote:
Hello all,

I am writing to you with immense regret and disappointment over my unfortunate decision to have chosen Mercedes-Benz as a trusted automobile.

It was the 17th of August 2020, when I took the delivery of a black Mercedes Benz GLE 450, however my happiness and delight lasted only for 2 weeks.

Below is the chronology of events that followed, which have caused me nothing but pain, mental distress and embarrassment.

- 01st September 2020 - Parktronic malfunctioned and the issue was resolved on the same day, the reason provided was a loose connection in the socket and sensor of the right front bumper.

Same evening, there was an engine malfunction indicator light on the dashboard screen.

- 02nd September 2020 - The issue was raised to Sundaram Motors and the vehicle was picked up from my office to go to the workshop.

- 04th September 2020 - I was informed that Sundaram Motors was unable to diagnose the issue with the vehicle and sought more time to revert.

- 07th September 2020 - I was informed that there was a defect in the car with respect to malfunction of the engine and the same needs a replacement.

It has now been 10 days that the car has been at the workshop, and 3 days since I was informed about being given a car with a defective engine.

I have always believed that owning a Mercedes Benz is a matter of pride and status, however this incident has left me to think that the star has no value, customer relations and satisfaction do not matter to Mercedes Benz any more and what matters is to negotiate, bargain and offer freebies to convince me on managing with the defective car. Having said that, the experience of the last 10 days has been extremely disheartening, more so I never expected this from a global brand like Mercedes-Benz.

This email is my last effort to seek a deserving resolution to the issue and all the embarrassment, grief, harassment and mental trauma caused to me.

Thanks & Regards,

Varun
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Dear Team-BHP,

We recently purchased a new Mercedes GLE 450 from Sundaram Motors Bangalore and had an issue on which we seek your guidance.

The car was purchased on the 17th of August and in 2 weeks, there were minor issues that started popping up. On the 7th of September, we were informed that the engine of the car needed to be replaced!

We didn't have more information on the issue, and were told that the fuel injection pump is not working and therefore, the entire engine will have to be replaced.

As you can understand, for a brand new car which cost 1.20 crores, this sounds quite unreasonable. The offers made by the dealership to extend warranty and an assured buy back at 45 Lakhs also made us feel like they are not taking us or the case very seriously. We would certainly like Mercedes to address this matter with more care and also offer a new car in replacement.

All this has left us feeling very cheated and we seek your guidance on how to address this matter. The images during delivery of the car are attached.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

Dhruv
Engine failure in brand new 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450-whatsapp-image-20200911-10.36.33-am.jpeg
GTO is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine failure in brand new 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In my opinion, there is ONLY one solution = a brand new, properly functioning GLE 450 to replace this lemon
I feel that the owner will have no confidence in this brand, after going through this ordeal in just two weeks of ownership.

As a group, I feel that Sundaram's customer focus, especially in auto- dealerships, is declining.

Their group companies may have won Deming awards but all that has gone with the wind, if I look at how they handle customer issues today.

A new GLE 450 would just be some consolation. The manufacturer will have to think of something even better that wins the confidence of this owner back.

Last edited by vigsom : 11th September 2020 at 20:18. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:29   #3
BHPian

Unacceptable!

The owner should agree for nothing less than a new car.

I suggest he intimates the dealership in writing to Not carry out any work on the car. Simultaneously he should write publicly to the MD and CEO of Mercedes Benz India.
Pashin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 20:42   #4
BHPian

Owners should mail Mercedes Benz India directly if they have not already done. If they also fail to respond, a mail to Mercedes Benz Germany should also be sent. If feasible, a legal route should also be explored.
A 2 week old car being opened up for major repair and replacement is simply not done, especially at this price point! Factory fit is factory fit, period. No dealer workshop is going to achieve the same level of precision as the assembly line. A completely new replacement vehicle is definitely the only solution for replacing a defective car. That would restore some amount of confidence for the owner, at least in the short term.
Researcher is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 21:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Replacement of an engine in 2 weeks is not only painful but completely wipes out any confidence with the car. Mercedes Benz India should replace the car on goodwill basis and offer free extended warranty!

Word of mouth is the key to seal any prospective sales. If the dealership and Mercedes Benz India treat their customers so shabbily, customers won't be kind with them, especially in the middle of a recession. Hope MB India and the dealership realise their folly and mend their relationship with the customer ASAP.

Last edited by Turbohead : 11th September 2020 at 21:53.
Turbohead is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Dear Fellow Member,

I hope the below mentioned email and office addresses are sufficient for putting up your grievance and further escalations. Please write a detailed description of your concern, I hope to see a prompt response in the next 2-5 business working days. As a Team-BHPian any assistance required we are all there. Provision of complainant making an appeal to the appellate authority shall come up with the redressal of your concern.

cs.ind@cac.mercedes-benz.com

Level 1
Any one of the following:
Call us: Customer Service Centre: 1800 212 3374 from 09:00am - 18:00pm (Mon - Fri) & 09:00am - 13:00pm(Sat), except public holidays
Email Id: dfsindia@daimler.com

Level 2
If the complaint is unresolved within 10 working days, please contact our Customer Service Head, Mr. Varun Singh with the reference number given in Level 1 - (+91) 21 3563 7301
or
Write to Customer Service Department:
Daimler Financial Services India Pvt. Ltd, Tek Meadows Campus,1st Floor, Unit # 1, Block B, No. 51, Rajiv Gandhi Salai Sholinganallur, OMR Chennai, 600 119
Correspondence Address:
Daimler Financial Services India Pvt. Ltd.
E-3, MIDC Chakan, Phase III,
Chakan Industrial Area, Kuruli & Nighoje,Taluka: Khed, 410 501 Pune, Maharashtra, India
Telephone Number:(+91) 21 3567 3000

Nodal Officer Name: Ms. Atifa Jahan
Address: Unit 202, 2nd Floor, Campus 3B, RMZ Millennia Business Park, No.143, Dr. MGR Road, Perungudi, Chennai - 600096, Tamil Nadu, India.
Telephone: +91 44 7111 8153
Email id: nodalofficer@daimler.com

Correspondence Address:
Daimler Financial Services India Pvt. Ltd.
E-3, MIDC Chakan, Phase III,
Chakan Industrial Area, Kuruli & Nighoje,
Taluka: Khed,
410501 Pune, Maharashtra, India
Telephone Number:+91 02135673000

Daimler AG [Global Head Quaters]
70546 Stuttgart
Germany
Phone: +49 711 17 0
Fax: +49 711 17 22244
e-mail: dialog@daimler.com

My sincere apologies for any errors in my contexts and representation.
sameerpatel90 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

If the dealer himself says the car needs an engine replacement, the car itself needs replacement. Period. No amount of part replacement, repair and refurbishment will give the satisfaction and confidence back to the customer. He will feel cheated. And if they don't replace the car, it will amount to cheating.

This will apply even to the least expensive new car in the market, and more so at the MB price point where the brand sells purely on exclusivity, and the image that they use the very best materials and engineering during manufacture.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 10:16   #8
BHPian

So has the engine failed due to a mechanical fault or is it just some superficial electrical issue?
Old 13th September 2020, 10:51   #9
BHPian

Very sad to hear this.

Such a mess up after spending 1Cr+ on a car would be so much disheartening.

Why cant they just refurbish this car and sell it through their used car network later and replace this owner with a new one ?
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 10:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Looks like two people have complained have the same complaint about two different cars delivered by the same dealer? Or am I missing something here ?

If that is the case, MB must investigate and recall (if needed) all the cars made in the same batch. Alternatively, is there something wrong in Sundaram's storage?

Whatever the case, I think MB and the dealer have to replace the car for the customer.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 12:04   #11

This is a very sad incident, I can relate to a similar issue with my brand new skoda laura L&K. From my experience, as the car is in warranty the company would try to replace parts and probably lie in the garage as long as it takes.

I am yet to see a case of replacement in India. Even if the customer goes to the consumer grievance court, may take time and getting a new car might be difficult.

If Mercedes does change the car, this will be a landmark change and other customers of other brands can also petition their companies for similar issues. Very sad, we still have not evolved in our customer rights unlike countries like the US .

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2020 at 12:12. Reason: Spaces before punctuation marks not required. Thanks.
Old 13th September 2020, 12:10   #12
rkw
BHPian

Replacement with a new vehicle should be the only option if the current defect amounts to engine or for that matter any parts replacement as the vehicles are just out of showroom. Any post assemblyline fitment will be a compromise which the customer need not & should not be subject to in such cases of manufacturing defect. I believe the matter should be brought directly to the notice of Mercedes Benz & the dealer informed strictly about valid demand for new vehicle. Else the dealer may try to sort the matter with a resolution beneficial to it. It may also be suspected that the malfunction may have originated at the dealership or in transit.
Old 13th September 2020, 12:26   #13
BHPian

Very disappointed and saddened to hear this. This ordeal to a customer spending more than 1 Crore on a car is just baffling that too in just 2 weeks . Heck, had it been a 10 lac car then also an engine malfunction must be replaced by a new car and not engine replacement.
I hope Mercedes sorts this out with appropriate measures, that would be replacing the car plus complimentary extended warranty as a good will gesture.
Old 13th September 2020, 12:28   #14
BHPian

I have had my share of bitter experiences with Mercedes Benz in the past. We bought a c200 in 2011 and the car didn’t give any problems as such. So we happily bought ml250 in 2012. It was the biggest mistake of my life. The headlight assembly had to be changed in the first week itself. The car kept giving different errors every month. During the first year itself the turbo stopped working and the car wouldn’t go above 2000 rpm. Kudos to mercedes benz road side assistance as they gave us estimate time of 5 hours for rescue. We had to crawl home. After raising multiple queries and talking to higher ups in the company, nothing was resolved. The tyres provided were getting cuts everytime. We changed 19 tyres in a span of 4 years! 19!! The first year itself we asked for a replacement car and mercedes rejected. After 1 lakh kms the transfer case gave up and we were given 5lakhs estimate from the dealer. After talking to higher ups once again we got 50 percent off but we declined and asked for a reason for such failure. Dealer replies by saying our car had been driven for 1 lakh, that’s why. We were so tired of such pathetic behaviour from such a brand that we sold both our mercs in a month. By this time even c- class had started giving problems. Really really pathetic and i will never buy a mercedes- benz ever in my life. That’s for sure
sirjokhi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 12:29   #15
brd

Dear Dhruv & Varun,

Sorry to read about your bad experience with a perceived good brand.
Don't agree at any cost for anything less than a replacement of a car with a brand new car of similar model and with a fresh registration, and all costs to be borne by the manufacturer and dealer, jointly or severally.
The manufacturer will come with various explanations like engine is not the whole vehicle and just a part of the vehicle. So they will replace the engine and give you an extended warranty. But don't budge an inch. This is not a small any person buys car. They have made it premium and charged premium for their brand. So let them live by it.
Issue them a legal notice with your demands, and also publish it in media (print / social etc.) in not just India, but also in US , Europe and China. Give them a warning for defaming them before you do it.
Write not only to their India offices, but also to their mother plant.
And ensure they, give you a similar car as a temporary arrangement till they replace with a new car.
Let me know if you want any other guidance.
Wish you all the best.
~~ BR Dayaram
brd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed