Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 11:31   #16
BANNED

Re: Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by universal View Post
The rusted part looks like the DRV or diesel regulator valve and not the injector. DRV is normally connected towards the end of the common rail and is responsible for maintaining required pressures inside the rail depending on the fuel demand. This can happen mainly die to two things - water/water based contamination in fuel OR water seeping into the rail during a pressure wash etc. despite the presence of O rings. The latter is a very remote possibility. Was the fuel in the tank analysed for presence of water or any such contamination?
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:54   #17
BHPian

Re: Fuel injector rusted in 2 year old Skoda Rapid within warranty! Astronomical quote from Autobahn

Fight for 100% warranty replacement I would say, DOT.

But I have a question here. Why are some companies unable to solve an issue related to a specific part of their car ?

Because some companies they are known for injector issues, some are known for ABS Sensor failures, some are known for mechatronic failure, some are known for paint quality issues, some of them are known for poor handling issues, and some are even known for premature wear & tear of brake pads etc. Why aren't these issues noted in their test car which they advertise as " Tested on all terrains for xxxxKms etc " and so on..

They are purposely ignoring the failure and pushing an inferior product to the public?

Last edited by kamilharis : 16th September 2020 at 12:00.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 12:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Fight for 100% warranty replacement I would say, DOT.

Because some companies they are known for injector issues, some are known for ABS Sensor failures, some are known for mechatronic failure, some are known for paint quality issues, some of them are known for poor handling issues, and some are even known for premature wear & tear of brake pads etc. Why aren't these issues noted in their test car which they advertise as " Tested on all terrains for xxxxKms etc " and so on..

They are purposely ignoring the failure and pushing an inferior product to the public?
When the company might have tested the product the part supplied by the supplier might not be defective.

So, I think it has to do more with the suppliers supplying the particular part. The supplier might not be having a robust quality check or control in place. And the manufacturer thinking that the part would have been tested by the supplier might not test the part again at their end.

But yes agree with your point that the companies should be able to resolve the issues either by a change in supplier or more stringent quality checks or control.

These are purely my views I haven't worked in the industry so I might be wrong.
sv97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I’ve made it clear I’m not going to pay for this. I’ve driven 24,000 km in 2 years and I have a quotation for 1.5 lac for no fault of mine.
I was in a similar situation when my 2013 model 1.6 TDI Rapid had an injector conked off and unfortunately my car was out of warranty in the same month.

However, my dealer (Mahavir Skoda) was very helpful. They uploaded the periodic maintenance data of my car and requested Skoda India to consider a cost free replacement under goodwill warranty and they obliged.

My car was returned in a fortnight and all I had to pay was some 5000 for labor costs.

Coming to your scenario, I would suggest you to request the dealer citing the long relation and ask them to put in another request to Skoda for replacing it under warranty.

If things go downside, ask the dealer to give an official diagnostic report stating the causes of damage. In case they cite adulteration as a cause, ask them to give fuel test report proving so.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th September 2020 at 19:42. Reason: Typos
Pferdestarke is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was told the cost would go up to 1.5 lacs (fuel injector and other parts) and would take 20 days to repair.
Any idea what other parts got damaged or needs replacement?

Quote:
The manager then stepped in and showed me a pic of the injector having rust. He assumed that the car was standstill in the lockdown and that’s why the injector has rusted so much.
First time I'm seeing an injector like this
Do you (or he) have the snaps of other injectors?

Similar failure (rust) is observed in all parts?
If Yes - something to be investigated in detail to understand the root cause. Please do check the condition of other vehicles (new and used) in yard which are idle for months
if No - Tell them you don't fuel this particular injector from a different source or keep only this injector idle in lockdown (going by his logic) It should be either part quality issues or process quality issue.

Quote:
The manager then asked me where I fill fuel, stating that I shouldn’t use random pumps. I told him we ALWAYS fill from the same pump.
Is there any such mention in owner's manual or warranty information?

Quote:
I don't believe any adulteration has happened at the pump from my side. We’ve used the same pump for 30 years. (It’s right outside our building.) It also HAS A ROOF. How can water leak in while refuelling? We’ve filled petrol/diesel for 30 years at this pump and never had a problem.
Just to clarify,
adulteration may not be intentional, but sometimes it is accidental (contamination to major extent)
Dispenser nozzle gets contamination from multiple sources, Dust carried by wind, contact with a dirty fuel lid (especially the earth movers), etc. Condensation inside fuel tank (reduced in recent past with improved design). These are supposed to be taken care by fuel filter and water separator, but due to higher contamination level the efficiency of filtering will reduce and they reach the injector.

Quote:
SA called and said Skoda has agreed to pay for 70% of the repair, and that he’s trying to get Skoda to cover 90% of the cost.
There in nothing the dealer couldn't do when it comes to warranty. Though OE warranty team holds the final acceptance rights, dealer can make it happen. Use your relationship first to get it done. If that doesn't work out take the other route.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 16th September 2020 at 13:37.
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:33   #21

I want to thank each and every one for the comments and support from the bottom of my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Usually when an injector fails, Check Engine light comes up and then the engine goes to limp mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Did your car throw a CEL?
"Check engine" light did not come up, but the "glow plug" light came on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I can only advice you to tweet to their official handle, send an official complaint on their email ID and keep following up with Autobahn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Escalate this to Zac/Skoda...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Ensure this thread and all the required info reaches Zac Hollis on Twitter and on Facebook.
Will do this at the earliest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Was the fuel in the tank analysed for presence of water or any such contamination?
I don't think they did any such thing, and neither was I shown a pic of contaminated fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I had given up on Skoda the day Mahavir Hyderabad tried to hide the horrible history of my pre-owned Superb.
I've had a tumultuous relationship with Autobahn in these 10 years. Although they get work done, I've lost count how many times I've created a ruckus there. Every time I go for my yearly service I meet a new manager. Thanks to all the silly reasons they give me I think I've fought with all their managers.

I've developed a certain infamy amongst all their staff, and I find it unfortunate.
universal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 14:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavtengshe View Post
I have a technical question: can one repair a rusted injector? I have never seen a fuel injector up close. How much components if fuel injector are electronic?
If Skoda can honour sensor and ecu claims then injector should also be covered.
Injectors cannot be repaired period. Either the workshops here don't have the kits required or the technical expertise. Either way answer is a no.
My Passat has been sitting in a workshop since past 3 months as all 4 injectors have emery in them - fuel pump failure. This happened post lockdown - first day of use. Cruising at 40 km/h - CEL came up and the car stalled. Had it towed to a garage and sent the injectors to Bangalore first, then Chennai. Could not be repaired. Now waiting for salvage vehicle injectors and a fuel pump.
WasavaTyres is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 14:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Injectors cannot be repaired period. Either the workshops here don't have the kits required or the technical expertise. Either way answer is a no.
My Passat has been sitting in a workshop since past 3 months as all 4 injectors have emery in them - fuel pump failure. This happened post lockdown - first day of use. Cruising at 40 km/h - CEL came up and the car stalled. Had it towed to a garage and sent the injectors to Bangalore first, then Chennai. Could not be repaired. Now waiting for salvage vehicle injectors and a fuel pump.
Fuel injectors can be repaired. Only a handful of workshops in Mumbai have the nozzles and the rebuild kits with them and are specialized enough to carry out the repair. Just FYI, im sure you are aware, but you'd need to code the new injector values into the ECM for delphi (VW group) injectors. Thats not the case for bosch.
HimuraKenshin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 14:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hello to all TBhpians. I have a problem that I need advice for. Thanks in advance.

I own a 2018 Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo (then called “X edition”), diesel DSG. I’ve driven 24,000 km and it is under warranty.

They did not give me a written quotation and I didn’t ask for one because I was clear I have no intention of paying whatsoever.

I suggest if you're not member of Skoda Owners club India in facebook, pls join. Skoda's top level exec Zac hollis is in that group and he usually responds to genuine queries. Links are inline

Last edited by OneToughRider : 16th September 2020 at 14:49. Reason: typo
OneToughRider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
Only a handful of workshops in Mumbai have the nozzles and the rebuild kits with them and are specialized enough to carry out the repair. Just FYI, im sure you are aware, but you'd need to code the new injector values into the ECM for delphi (VW group) injectors. Thats not the case for bosch.

Pls share details on DM of the workshops. I have 8 non-working nozzles with me right now ( long story of incompetent mechanics) Will give it a shot at having them repaired.
Are you sure no coding for Bosch ?? I am told even bosch will need to be coded via VCDS. It's taken so long that I've learnt injector coding too - theoretically at least !
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I've had a tumultuous relationship with Autobahn in these 10 years. Although they get work done, I've lost count how many times I've created a ruckus there. Every time I go for my yearly service I meet a new manager. Thanks to all the silly reasons they give me I think I've fought with all their managers.

I've developed a certain infamy amongst all their staff, and I find it unfortunate.
I've noticed that Autobahn is quite notorious in Mumbai. I was advised by a few Skoda owners to go to JMD Bhandup instead and I had a pretty good experience, both for service and a big warranty job. Glad it turned out that way since it's our first Skoda.

If it's not too inconvenient, I'd suggest giving them a shot next time. I can put you in touch with my SA and the managers there.

I hope Skoda resolve your issue soon. Zac is quite spectacular from what I've seen.
saur95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I wonder with Vento being the same car how come such horrendous issues do not crop up in it. Or is it that they are not reported on such forums?
Do not assume. vento has these problems and more. Decade ago, skodas had only AC issues and not the ones seen on rapid. injector and radiator is the most recurring complaint i have heard.
blackbeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
SA mailed and said that there is fuel adulteration in the vehicle. I was told the cost would go up to 1.5 lacs (fuel injector and other parts) and would take 20 days to repair.
Sorry for your agony. The only reason I sold my 2012 Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI was due to poor after sales and service from the Volkswagen group. We faced the same fuel injector failure issue and the service centre blamed fuel adulteration as the route cause of the issue. We have two more diesel vehicle from our family, one is a Swift ZDI and other is a Tata Vista with a Quadrajet Engine. We fill fuel from the same fuel pump (And the fuel pump belongs to Sankagiri Lorry Owner's Association, where all their vehicles fill diesel).

Within 72K KMS, the injectors failed twice. Later I found that the fuel injector failure is a common issue across Volkswagen diesel engines. I thought the issue was restricted to 1.6 TDI alone and later realized that the issue persists among their 1.5 TDI also. In all the customer stories you would find that the A.S.S would blame the fuel adulteration as the root cause of the issue. I lost hope with the Volkswagen family. I sold my Vento later and moved on to Hyundai Elite i20 1.4 CRDI.

After the recent launch of Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI, I had a change in my heart and recommended Skoda for my family and friends. After seeing your post, I decided to stop recommending the Volkswagen and Skoda machines. Be it a Skoda or a Volkswagen, they never change. Take up this issue with the Skoda management, I hope all ends well.
TorqueKnight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
The rusted part looks like the DRV or diesel regulator valve and not the injector. DRV is normally connected towards the end of the common rail and is responsible for maintaining required pressures inside the rail depending on the fuel demand. This can happen mainly die to two things - water/water based contamination in fuel OR water seeping into the rail during a pressure wash etc. despite the presence of O rings. The latter is a very remote possibility. Was the fuel in the tank analysed for presence of water or any such contamination?
Agree, this photograph shows a diesel regulator valve, not an injector!

Irrespective, it does show rust, or at least some sort of corrosion and that does probably mean you had water or something else in the diesel. A typical DRV for a Skoda will cost around € 40 here in Europe and are usually very easy to install.

Injector, depending on type, can be repaired, or rather overhauled.

It is really important to understand where the water or otherwise that caused this corrosion, comes from. The most likely culprit is of course from where you last filled up.

A little less known phenomena is diesel bacterial growth. It will cause bio corrosion which looks like this and actually can cause the water content to increase as well. Have them check the diesel filters. If you have any bacterial growth in the diesel, the first place it will show up in the filters. They can actually clog up pretty badly!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 16th September 2020 at 17:04.
Jeroen is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:47   #30
BHPian

Rusting of injectors during lockdown is hilarious!! BTW, why didn't the Yeti's injectors get rusted. And what is the expectation - if someone travels abroad on work or just doesn't drive his/her Skoda for an year, should expect rusted injectors?
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed