Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 17:52   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here

Looking at these issues, I hope all BS6 diesels come with proper warning systems at least. When BS4 came, we thought BS3's engines had better response. Now BS4 is the angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Not related to cars, but here is the message thrown by my new Swaraj Mazda school bus after which it went to limp mode.
School buses .. guess you are going to see a lot of these. Unless you are able to rotate the routes - and if these routes have sufficient highway type runs. Yes, this one's going to be a pain.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:18   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_maan View Post
However, I am terribly disillusioned by diesel cars now and am tempted to switch out to petrol cars. Since I need a 7 seater, there are not that many options available in the Innova segment.
I had always desired to own a diesel 4x4.
Since 2016 I wanted to own either a Duster AWD, SafariStorme 4x4, Bolero 4x4 Or any torquey diesel 4x4/awd. But as luck would have it, I went on to own the Petrol powered BRV (7seater).
Having read your experience I do not think that it's solely the BS-VI Diesel emission regulations which has bothered you and other owners of BS-VI diesel powered vehicles alike. If you observe closely the BS-4 diesel powered engines were not less notorious in causing maintenance issues for their owners. People known to me who simultaneously while I purchased the BRV they went on to purchase the Duster, SafariStorme, Bolero Or VW/Skoda in the diesel version are having good hell of maintenance issues and equally high maintenance bills at the service centres. As for maintenance costs on my 2017 model petrol powered BRV which has run 47000kms is concerned I haven't spent apart from the consumables like engine oil, filters, brake pads and brake oil.
But the torque of a diesel motor is the cream of driving ecstasy which the driver experiences while driving around mountains, slush or snow.
I wish I could own a torquey diesel motor before the age of EV takes over.
BS-VI Gurkha is one vehicle which I have laid my eyes on, let's see what fate has in store for me.
Regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 21:15   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikva View Post
Had the Adblue warning light on in my Crysta around a few weeks back. Added 5 liters of Adblue a week ago (got it from Shell). The light refuses to go off and the display still shows that I need to fill Adblue at the end of the required kms. Should I add a few more liters and check? Anyone else face a similar situation?
Yes. You need to add more. I had a similar situation. Crysta takes about 10L. With some reserve, you need about 9L to fill it up. The indicator doesn't go with only 5L if you've driven a lot after the indicator comes on.
Old 9th February 2022, 21:28   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_maan View Post
I have a 2020 BS6 Innova Crysta (VXi) (pre-facelift version). I've had DPF issues twice in my car. For about 15K, I faced no issues. My usage pattern is about 70% on highways and 30% on City.
Since it is specific to the Crysta and yours is a manual, I am curious about how automatic regen happens. In my automatic, if the car is driven only within the city, when regen is triggered automatically, it is noticeable through higher engine RPM and increase in fuel consumption for around ten minutes. If the car is in D, the car is eager to creep forward and when I switch to N or P, the idle RPM rises to 1100. Two weeks ago this happened when I reached a point to pick up my dad and I let it continue for five minutes in neutral after which the regen was complete and idle speed dropped to the normal 6/700 RPM. I recorded a video since another friend had asked for the same, you can see the higher idle RPM and FE dropping.

How does this happen in the manual? Have you ever noticed this till now? I think in the manual there is a safety limitation which might prevent increased idle in gear which would not let regeneration happen and thus clogging the DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
School buses .. guess you are going to see a lot of these. Unless you are able to rotate the routes - and if these routes have sufficient highway type runs. Yes, this one's going to be a pain.
It depends on the manufacturers implementation. In Germany there are diesel vehicles which are used for intra office shuttles which hardly cross 30kmph in their regular use and with a stop go situation similar to our conditions. For these vehicles, the regeneration happens effortlessly, just that the drivers are educated to leave the vehicle running when regen takes place and not to turn it off. However these are automatic vehicles and for manual transmission triggering regen in gear might result in unintended acceleration which in an automatic can be controlled by the transmission.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:03   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

How does this happen in the manual? Have you ever noticed this till now? I think in the manual there is a safety limitation which might prevent increased idle in gear which would not let regeneration happen and thus clogging the DPF.
In manual it happens pretty much the same way.

1. Automatic regen - This generally happen when the car has been driven for a while (>40-45min) and the DPF is above a certain threshold. The only way to notice it is a drop in fuel consumption and an increase in idling rpm when we stop. It generally takes about 15 min for this to complete.
2. Manual regen - This is triggered by a switch near the parking sensor button. In normal variants, the ask to start manual regen is accepted only when the DPF levels is above threshold (when the system has given up on auto regen). When the catalytic convertors and injectors were replaced by TKM after the issue, they also rewired this to accept manual regen request if the DPF accumulation is above 30% (when auto regen could have happened). This does help to some extent because if you've had a string of city drives and forsee more time in the city before a highway trip, you could trigger manual regen and avoid a potential case of DPF getting full.
oh_maan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 17:39   #81
BHPian

I find this informative video worth sharing

To Mods: Please delete if it is off topic or already posted.
Old 15th June 2022, 23:51   #82
BHPian

Not an owner but read this yesterday on a popular Ladakh FB group about DPF issues in BS6 diesels and he himself faced it in his Tata Yodha.

Quote:
DPF ISSUE WITH BS6 CARS IN LADAKH :

All those getting here in the land of high passes by bs6 cars equipped with dpf system must take this into note that your car may stopped running if you continue driving for longer time on hilly roads at low speed after DPF signal flashing.

Be it latest version of toyota innova or mahindra altauraus or kia seltos all had stopped running enroute either nubra Road or pangong Road due to DPF issue and mechanics at my workshop were assigned to get them fixed. Those who had keep driving at lower speed for longer time without regeneration after flashing DPF signal were not getting started as damaged has already caused beyond repair for such vehicle due to silencer choking and toeing were only option left with them. On the other hand those who got alerted with DPF flashing and carried regeneration process was able to keep driving after done with regeneration process.

I had faced this twice with my own tata yodha while on tour. Once 20 days back at koyul enroute umlingla and very recently my driver had to left the same vehicle at taglangla after it stopped when he continued driving even after DPF flashing while going to manali with a rider group.

So guys it's a very serious and common issue with modern bs6 cars getting to ladakh and equipped with DPF and only very few skilled mechanics are available here to cope with such issues.

So guys those getting here by their own personal cars take this into consideration on a serious note and feel free to reach out to me in case any of you gets through such problems while on ladakh trip.
BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here-bs6-dpf-ladakh.jpg
AnandB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 16:04   #83
BHPian

Hi guys

I have a bit of a noob question. Is the DEF top-up included in the warranty or do I need to pony up? My XUV700 (done about 7.5kms) popped the DEF error sign. I am sending it to the ASC as I can't top it up myself.
Old 11th July 2022, 17:20   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkgrg View Post
Hi guys

I have a bit of a noob question. Is the DEF top-up included in the warranty or do I need to pony up? My XUV700 (done about 7.5kms) popped the DEF error sign. I am sending it to the ASC as I can't top it up myself.
DEF is considered equivalent to fuel and you are supposed to fill it up when required. Hence there is no question of warranty here.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 00:53   #85

This is my first post here. So I will be very particular about words and scenario I use here.
I am a Mechanical engineer.

I was always passionate about diesel engines, until I bought a Hyundai Creta Bs6. Not sure if I should call it pain in my hass or an absolute devil. Car has Blow by, Oil dilution, and mileage issues. I will explain all below and how all cars (at least Hyundai and Kia) are impacted by this.

1. Blowby - Just after 7000kms, I noticed considerable blowby from dipstick and reported it to ASC. First they were shocked but later they took my case to ASM and he told me that its common in BS6 engines. He himself has a hyundai diesel BS6 and that car also had same issue. At first, I was not convinced but then he showed me 10+ cars with same issue. We sat in ASC for whole day just to observe cars and at the end of the day I was convinced that there is nothing wrong with my car in particular.

No concrete reason was given why this happens but my guess is that It could be possible because of obstruction to exhaust flow due to soot in DPF( DPFs are always little clogged) hence this happens because of two extra pistons might be blowing back at all time in exhaust stroke.

2. Oil Dilution - Hyundai Kia BS6 dipsticks designed has changed from conventional E and F marks. Now it has an extra mark (double arrow) on top of F. 4.8 litre oil is filled till F in car and oil level is monitored if in case it INCREASE (YES You read it right). This is not there on Creta manual that comes with car, but its there on Internet Manual. Thats why there is very less awareness about monitoring the level.

At 7000 kms when I saw blow-by for the first time I checked my oil level and found that oil has gone passed the double arrow mark. Since We were already there in ASC for whole day. ASM showed me oil level of all cars that came for service. Every car had a noticeable oil dilution. In fact to my surprise every car oil level was way above double arrow mark.

So I got to know that its not just my car in particular that has this problem.

3. Mileage- So for the first 15kms every alternate day my car has to do an active regen which decreases the mileage of car to 11kmpl for first 15kms after that mileage becomes normal. Creta DPF can hold 14gm soot before it enters regen and DOC is fed with Diesel to raise temperature of DPF in order to clean it.

My effective mileage in city is never more that 13kmpl with AC ON. I live in a city which doesnt have bumper to bumper traffic. On highway I have got t2t 23kmpl maximum.
At first I thought that its an issue with DPF that active regen happens so frequent but after reading more about it I got to know it COULD be normal( however I still feel that it could be due to faulty injector)

Active regen is different from forced regen that happens in ASC.

My final take is to avoid buying Hyundai diesel engines. I am not speaking for myself, I am speaking on behalf of 118 users from my whatsapp group who are facing same issue. Creta is no doubt a practical car but it seems like there is a lot of things not good about Hyundai diesel engines in 2021-2022.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2022 at 20:58. Reason: Minor spacing edits for improved readability. Thanks for the informative post.
CretaKumar is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:14   #86
Senior - BHPian

The final take should be to avoid any BS 6 Diesel engine. Go through the Thar thread and you will see every alternate page has references to DPF issues. Our Zanskar trip got cut short because we got stuck with DPF issues in the middle of nowhere. DPF is just not suitable for India and I am surprised nobody is making any noise about it. There isn’t adequate push back from customers. Probably they are still unaware of the issues that can come with DPF.
Pancham is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
The final take should be to avoid any BS 6 Diesel engine. Go through the Thar thread and you will see every alternate page has references to DPF issues. Our Zanskar trip got cut short because we got stuck with DPF issues in the middle of nowhere. DPF is just not suitable for India and I am surprised nobody is making any noise about it. There isn’t adequate push back from customers. Probably they are still unaware of the issues that can come with DPF.
Can you elaborate on this ? Which car had DPF issues ? Was it a manual or automatic car ? I hope it is not the compass. That 2.0 Fiat is one engine that does not have much documented evidence of DPF issues in the forum. I hope it was not the Compass and some other car.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd August 2022 at 10:14.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Can you elaborate on this ? Which car had DPF issues ? Was it a manual or automatic car ? I hope it is not the compass. That 2.0 Fiat is one engine that does not have much documented evidence of DPF issues in the forum. I hope it was not the Compass and some other car.
It was not the Compass. It was the diesel manual Thar that belongs to Slipstream. Both manual and automatic Thars are plagued with DPF issues.

I think I have heard of one Compass Diesel auto till date with DPF issues. Nevertheless it’s a constant worry especially on trips to the hills.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:58   #89
BHPian

We have many issues with Altroz Diesel too. Finally bunch of us have formed a group and thinking of collectively taking it up with Tata.
akshay380 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:10   #90
BHPian

I've been driving an Altroz diesel for 5 months and have covered 5400 km with no problems. My driving is 50/50 city/highway. Let's see how the car holds up in the coming months.
SanjayW is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed