Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 10:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
My understanding is that DPF cycle kicks in every 400-600km range when a higher rpm and certain engine temperature is reached
The regeneration cycle is not determined by the number of kilometers logged. There are sensors that monitors the back pressure(arising out of clogged DPF) and temperature and ECU triggers the regeneration basis the preset thresholds. If the rpm's are not conducive, it aborts the process. Such aborted sessions adds up and finally it leads to the clog and the warning pops up. It needs 600°C to burn off the soot(particulate matter).

Quote:
Holding onto this 100 kmph/2k rpm for a long time itself is a challenge on our highway.
One can presume the below mentioned driving condition(from Seltos manual) is the most conducive for passive regeneration in Seltos. Yes even on highways in real world conditions, 25 minutes on the trot above 2000 rpm means we'll have to be steadily doing 100 kph and above which doesn't happen often. But I guess these aren't exactly strict conditions for regeneration. It should take place on most highway drives.
BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here-screenshot_20200318034736_whatsapp.jpg

Quote:
Also, havent see engine temp needle cross the 50% mark.
Ideally the needle should stay on the mark just before the half way mark in case of diesel Seltos. It's supposed to remain there always irrespective of the distance covered. Any rise from there means something is amiss with your coolant temperature and you may need to pull over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
  • It can just be the warning where one needs to drive the car for some kms at high speeds to enable active regeneration. I believe the same to be the case as the owner did not mention about power loss (limp mode).
  • Even if you ignore the MID, there is a small DPF warning light at the bottom and the green REGEN light at the left. One really needs to understand what each of these means.
I'm not sure about XUV 300. Would be great if any member who owns a XUV 300 can share it's manual which talks about DPF warnings.

As seen above in the case of Seltos, there are two warnings. One is the DPF warning and the other is MIL warning. Driving in higher rpms is recommended in case of DPF warning(circled in red in the above image) after which the active regeneration may take place and the warning light would disappear. But if it's the MIL/ engine warning light, then one has to take it to service centre to clean the O2 sensor and also carry out active regeneration. The car doesn't go into limp mode immediately upon the appearance of warning lights. But if one continues to drive with a clogged DPF for long, car will suffer power loss. It's also detrimental to the life of DPF.

In case of cars with DEF(Ad Blue), an empty DEF tank would mean car won't start itself.

Also find this Overdrive link on DPF and it's workings

http://overdrive.in/amp/news-cars-au...ines-answered/

NOTE : there's an error in that article.Under Active Regeneration Header, please read as "This happens when passive regeneration isn't enough to get rid of all the soot."

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th September 2020 at 10:50.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

My friend's diesel Seltos has thrown up a DPF warning again after merely running 100 kms since it's third service at 10K. During the last service, he had a MIL warning and a DPF active regeneration was carried out too. This is the same car which I had mentioned in my first post on this thread. This warning can be managed by driving the car hard at higher rpm 's as suggested in the manual(mentioned in the post above). He says this is the 6th warning in the last one year of ownership. It is the 3rd instance after BS 6 and thrice during BS4 period too. All was between 4000 and 7000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here-screenshot_20200927124639_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th September 2020 at 12:57.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 10:49   #18
BHPian

I think and as per general human behaviour - The care for a car is inversely proportional to age of car.

Since all DPF cars are new right now, many owners are enthusiastic about DPF and are happy to ignore any inconveniences. But as cars become 2 years old and a user becomes carefree about his/her car, the DPF process will become a headache and a pain.

I would not be surprised if the DPF issue baloons out as dry clutch dual shift automatic issue in couple of years but by then manufacturers would have breakeven their BS6 investments and just pull the plug on diesel engines.
steadfast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 08:07   #19
BHPian

Do I need to buy adblue from the car service center / dealer or can I get adblue on petrol pumps. I checked with quite a few petrol pumps in Kolkata, but surprisingly none of them were aware of adblue. I thought it has standard specs and not specific to a car make.
Old 30th October 2020, 09:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. I have always liked the diesel engines owing to superior torque and their overall driving experience vs. NA petrols.

For someone whose daily running is close to 1.5-2km (monthly running around 200-250Kms max), is it okay to buy a BS6 diesel car (Kia Sonet)?

I live barely 500m from my work place and fear of leopards make me take the car daily, else would have taken the walking route.

I have been driving for almost 23 years now and the only car I have owned for more than a decade is a diesel so I am trying to stick with a diesel. My daily running was more than 30-35km till 2017 so diesel was a no brainer anyway till that time.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Interesting thread. I have always liked the diesel engines owing to superior torque and their overall driving experience vs. NA petrols.

For someone whose daily running is close to 1.5-2km (monthly running around 200-250Kms max), is it okay to buy a BS6 diesel car (Kia Sonet)?

I live barely 500m from my work place and fear of leopards make me take the car daily, else would have taken the walking route.

I have been driving for almost 23 years now and the only car I have owned for more than a decade is a diesel so I am trying to stick with a diesel. My daily running was more than 30-35km till 2017 so diesel was a no brainer anyway till that time.
I don't think your monthly running justifies a Diesel. You're better off buying a NA Petrol. A turbo petrol might not reach its ideal operating temperature in 1/2kms. Or an even better alternative is an EV. Something like a MG ZS EV or Tata Nexon EV.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 14:22   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Do I need to buy adblue from the car service center / dealer or can I get adblue on petrol pumps. I checked with quite a few petrol pumps in Kolkata, but surprisingly none of them were aware of adblue. I thought it has standard specs and not specific to a car make.
Usually the Adblue once filled lasts upto around 10k kms which is usually the service interval of many cars. Hence, there is no need to fill this ourself. Worst case if your car is having a higher consumption of AdBlue, you can then wait for the first warning to appear or if you can see the actual tank level then maybe until it reaches 1/4th. After this you can easily get Adblue from any ASC or a bigger petrol bunk. Adblue is of a standard spec and it is just rebranded by manufacturers and OEMs to be sold in their aftersales chain. As long as you get genuine AdBlue which is not close to its expiry date(important) it is ok to fill it anywhere.

Thats one reason we dont find AdBlue popular in shops yet due to its limited shelf life. Retailers cant stock it for a long time and hence they would wait for demand to pick up further.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 10:16   #23
sgm
BHPian

AdBlue Price shocker

I completed the first year service of my BS6 C-class. I was shocked to see the price I was charged. After running for 7500Km before 1st service, the MID was showing a range of 5600KM and more than half a tank AdBlue was still left which was one good sign that frequent refilling may not me required. I think C-class come with 5 gallons (18L) tank, not completely sure about this.
Now comes the shocker part my invoice shows 8L of AdBlue refilled and the rate is 399/L+ GST of 18%.
If you have to fill 15L, then it will cost 7K and labour charges of 1k, as costly as engine oil replacement. As I had taken Pre-paid service plan, I didn't have to pay anything though and I hope, as the adoption becomes more, the rates will come down drastically in the coming few years.
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:38   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
AdBlue Price shocker

I completed the first year service of my BS6 C-class. I was shocked to see the price I was charged. . I think C-class come with 5 gallons (18L) tank, not completely sure about this.
Now comes the shocker part my invoice shows 8L of AdBlue refilled and the rate is 399/L+ GST of 18%.
That price is atrocious. Toyota AdBlue is something like 60 a liter IIRC. And Mahindras is even cheaper. I dont think Merc Adblue is anything exclusive. In Germany, I am used to filling up regular AdBlue on the Mercedes cars I use and in a regular fuel bunk and it works fine. Adblue is a standard name given to the DEF and it should not vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 15:43   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw the mention of a DPF full warning on an Innova Crysta on the HVK FB page. This car seems like a manual transmission and has done only 330kms. While that itself is a surprise, it seems like the first warning of a regeneration requirement has either been ignored or its completely missed. This makes me think of:
  • We havent faced any issue with the DPF so far in our crysta. Is this a manufacturing issue with the DPF?
  • Ours is an AT, and it never lets us lug the engine at low speeds or floor the pedal at a higher gear which results in excess diesel injection and soot. In an MT you can do this and this isnt a good habit.
  • Bad quality of diesel or a possible BS4 diesel?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This car seems like a manual transmission and has done only 330kms.
Chances are that car may have been used in city conditions only.

Quote:
While that itself is a surprise, it seems like the first warning of a regeneration requirement has either been ignored or its completely missed.
Even if one misses the warning, I just wonder shouldn't it throw up the message/warning again and prompt you to carry out the regeneration manually the next time you start the car rather than showing DPF fully clogged later.

Quote:
We havent faced any issue with the DPF so far in our crysta. Is this a manufacturing issue with the DPF
You may be doing highway runs every now and then?

Quote:
Ours is an AT, and it never lets us lug the engine at low speeds or floor the pedal at a higher gear which results in excess diesel injection and soot. In an MT you can do this and this isnt a good habit.
But then isn't that way the AT works - downshifting and upshifting early to have a seamless experience. Also I'm not sure how ECU learning is affected if the car is regularly driven by more than one person. Would that be a reason? Also if one is flooring it quite aggressively while in the tallest gear, I guess it's normal for an AT to downshift.

Quote:
Bad quality of diesel or a possible BS4 diesel?
All OMC s are on BS6 from 01 April'20. There's very less chance of having BS4 diesel sold anywhere now.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th November 2020 at 16:13.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:57   #27
BHPian

It is almost 8 months since BS6 vehicles were launched, I believe this forum will have decent amount of owners who own a BS6 diesel vehicle now. Out of them some might be mostly using the vehicle in city conditions, I would like to know the issues around DPF warnings and the way you all are clearing that up, if you are mostly using the vehicle in the city.

Different vehicle will throw up the warning at different ODO readings, it will help new buyers to be aware of what they are getting into, if they are opting for a diesel vehicle.
Old 24th December 2020, 23:48   #28
BHPian

Was going through the owners manual of my new XUV300. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Mahindra has equipped it with Park Regeneration process if one cannot find a open stretch to do a highway run. A pleasant surprise indeed. We thought that such a system is available only in cars which are a segment or two above. Kudos to Mahindra.

BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here-img_20201224_234722.jpg
SansGT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 18:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

So after two trips of 1k kms each, and with the Odo at 57xx kms, I was expecting the Adblue warning to turn on anytime, and it did as expected. I was curious to see how the implementation is done. The manual only mentioned about warnings at 2400kms and 800kms to empty, with the Adblue light remaining on. I was thinking what happens between these two intervals, in case the driving style changes or consumption varies. But everything got sorted out.

When the Adblue level reaches 2400kms to empty, we get a beep and a message on the MID, which says that the level is low and has to be refilled within 2400kms. This warning can be cleared and will pop up every time the car is started. But the good part is the actual distance to empty is updated as we continue driving, which indirectly acts as an Adblue level indicator.

The pop up message:
BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here-img_7426.jpg

The same can also be accessed in the MID in the messages tab, which is pretty useful.
BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here-img_7429.jpg

I will fill Adblue after checking with the service center how much quantity is actually left and also with a scan tool so we know when its correctly filled.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 02:24   #30
BHPian

I am in north Bangalore and I could not find adblue in any fuel station.

Does anyone know where to buy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks