Team-BHP - Esteem shuts off while driving.. HELP!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Esteem shuts off while driving.. HELP!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/22764-esteem-shuts-off-while-driving-help.html)

My Esteem (Carburator) shuts off while driving. I will need to restart then. Its too dangerous. I dont know why its happening. Mainly happens when i press my clutch for gear shifts or while stopping. Mostly when the car is cold, But even if the car is heated up some times it happens. My rpm is set for 900. HELP!!!

Try tuning the idle RPM a little higher although 900 is the correctly set. If it is happening when you are downshifting then it should solve your problem but there might be other reasons for it as well. Get the carb cleaned

Its running rich. Get the carb and the fuel nozzle cleaned.

Cleaning out the carburator and the airfilter unit should help to an extent..

Godfather

1st, Increase idling of the engine to an higher RPM
2nd, Clean the carb, Ensure the mechanic uses Petrol and does a good job
3rd, Check the ignition plug or spark plug, may it needs a replacement

take it to a good garage, do a complete engine tune up, carb and engine, check/replace air filter and petrol filter

Do Not increase your idling speed, it is perfect 900 without AC & 1000 on AC. Your problem most probably is the vaccum pipes. They could have become hard & perhaps there is a leak. Replace them & you will see the difference.

Thanks for advice fellow TBHP-ians
I cleaned the carb last week only,and the petrol is not rich because i use the car regularly. Air filter was also cleaned yesterday. Auto shut off of the engine is now happening when i shift gears to 5th.

check vacum tubes and also see if anything is blocking the carb circuit/venturis/jets since you mentioned you cleaned the carb last week, again see if the carb diaphragm is intact

Hey ..I had an Esteem LX Carb till a few months back..well,I had a similar problem with the car turning off itself sometimes..and the problem was with my Fuel pump..I got it changed and it started working..
I'm not a technical guy..but that's what the maruti authorized center told me that there was a fuel pump problem..plus,I think that part was expensive..like around Rs8000 or something..
so,i would suggest get it checked too,if other options don't work..

-sr

srasania...fuel pumps in esteems live for eternity. i dont think that was your problem.

My fuel pump was replaced recently but anyway i will give it a check. But i dont think Fuel pump is the problem

As you shift to the 5th, A vaccum chamber is created and fuel particles are injected at a high pressure.

The fuel supply is getting cut off and this is the reason, we have a cutoff.
Vaccum chamber, not an issue as the same does not happen at 4th but a pressure drop can indicate a hole or a leak.

It looks like you've already checked the usual suspects - carb, filters, fuel pumps, etc.

If your car shudders a bit harshly (almost like it was being held back) before cutting out, and you press the clutch and floor the pedal to stop it, then Check these two,
1. The condenser. Replace it. Should not cost you much
2. Check your distributor shaft for 'play'. this is simple to do, open the top off (you can clean the contacts while you're at it), and try to shake the central stalk. If it shakes even a little bit, chances are that at certain speeds, the contact is not established and your engine is flooding with fuel but there's no spark.