Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Doorpad damaged - Now what?

I would like to apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post. I would request the respected administrative members to shift this post to where it truly belongs.

I recently loaded a cycle in the rear seats of my car. My ignorant sibling wasn't careful with handling of the cycle. At the end of journey I discovered that the upper door trim has been damaged (due to sharp edges of the cycle handle).

The door doesn't look pretty and feels rough. I had enquired with Nexa during a list of repair hawl and he mentioned that they can only replace the door trim but I'm not willing to invest for such a minor damage.

Is there any DIY fixes or anyone in Kolkara who can fix my interior door panel with a price estimation. If there is a DIY, please let me know what are tools required so that I don't land up spoiling it further.
Attached Thumbnails
Doorpad damaged - Now what?-20201009_113017.jpg  

Doorpad damaged - Now what?-20201009_113027.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2020 at 12:56. Reason: Removing center formatting. Not required.
momsonlydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:10   #2
BHPian

re: Doorpad damaged - Now what?

You can clean the surface first and try applying some regular toothpaste on the surface and rub with a lint free cloth for few minutes slowly as if you treat skin rashes with ointment massaging. Clean wipe after that and see if that improves.

If above does not work and you can not live with these scratches then put some beautiful stickers on them to hide the scratch marks. If the stickers come off after some time, get newer ones.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this:

Not sure how well it works. Never tried it
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 13:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Not sure how well it works. Never tried it
I would be very reluctant to do this myself.

I have some experience it, in seeing a professional do it on the dashboard of my Alfa Spider! Scroll to the bottom of this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4601565

Getting the amount of heat right is very important. Too much and you might ruin it, make it even worse.

I have seen, quite some time ago, a guy restoring these sort of scratches in a somewhat different way. Basically he would take via a sort of mould a copy of the structure of the trim, then cuts away around the damage, uses special filler and uses the mould to get the exact pattern / texture back in.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 13:55   #5
BHPian

Not sure which car this is for, but if it is the SX4 you posted about earlier, the door trims are not expensive.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-trim...or_rh-6780633/
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Not sure which car this is for, but if it is the SX4 you posted about earlier, the door trims are not expensive.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-trim...or_rh-6780633/
I have checked for it but the panels are either from the 2007 model or the 2013 model. None of them are from the 2009-11 model. The problem being that 2007 has plastic finish armrest, 2009 has wood finish and 2013 having marble finish. All the three door trim colors are different.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think with some wear and tear, the scratches will fade a lil bit and blend in.

These are the exact kind of repairs which lead to additional unnecessary rattles in the car. I avoid trims and dashboard removal at all costs.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I
These are the exact kind of repairs which lead to additional unnecessary rattles in the car.
Yes, there is always a possibility of introducing rattles when replacing trim. Usually this is caused because the way the trim was removed. All these trim panels are held in place by all kinds of plastic kind of clips. Part of removing them without damaging not only the trim, but also not damaging the clips is knowing how to remove them!. For that you need a lot of experience on the particular car, or a good workshop manual of that particular car.

Even then and with the use of proper trim removal tools, these clips tend to wear quickly and often break or partly break. So you really need to spend time inspecting all the bits and piece, clips and otherwise that hold a panel in place before putting it back on. When in doubt replace the various clips with fresh new ones. It can make a world of difference.

In my “fiddling with cars” thread you will come across multiple posts where I remove bits of trim on all my cars, show the tools used and the various clips etc.

As it is I am working on the door card of my Spider:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4896941

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Doorpad damaged - Now what?

If you're okay with it, the top part can be sanded and the whole panel can be covered with a sticker.

The bottom part wouldn't bother me as I won't see it everyday.
Old 13th October 2020, 01:58   #10
BHPian

You may choose to get the upper trim area wrapped in leather look vinyl, easily available at shops for car interiors. Wrap the same area on all the 4 doors. Go for a professional to take care of the wrap job.
Old 13th October 2020, 02:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I have checked for it but the panels are either from the 2007 model or the 2013 model. None of them are from the 2009-11 model. The problem being that 2007 has plastic finish armrest, 2009 has wood finish and 2013 having marble finish. All the three door trim colors are different.
You can order either of the three if you get the colour and model code right in the part number. Replacing the door pad is the most sensible option IMO. Either check with ASC or an MGP store for the right part.
Old 14th October 2020, 02:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
These are the exact kind of repairs which lead to additional unnecessary rattles in the car. I avoid trims and dashboard removal at all costs.
This doesn't get said enough! Every car will have some blemishes as it ages and keeping one cosmetically perfect is not worth the cost. Same goes for scratches on paintwork - in most cases, the correct answer is to let them be!
Old 14th October 2020, 02:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
This doesn't get said enough! Every car will have some blemishes as it ages and keeping one cosmetically perfect is not worth the cost. Same goes for scratches on paintwork - in most cases, the correct answer is to let them be!

The smallest of scratches, less then a blemish, a single squeak every 10.000 km. No matter how trivial to most, but I will fix it or get it fixed, no matter the cost. Because it spoils my pleasure, my enjoyment of a car.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 11:27   #14
BHPian

I recently had a similar problem in my old swift. The doorpads got scratched because they were improperly stored during the lockdown(unfortunately my car went for a complete paint job in Feb ). Instead of repairing or replacing, we sanded out the scratches with fine sand paper. And then painted all the doorpads with a synthetic rubber paint. In fact I liked the finish so much I ended up getting even the dash and other interior parts painted. And instead of the original grey shade I went for black which I felt looks even better.
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:12   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (3)

Hi, one thing I can suggest you if you can spare some time for a DIY repair. Just grab a hair dryer (mine was of Philips, which was powerful enough) or heat blower. Place it near to the damaged part for few minutes and press it with a flat hard object once it gets heated enough.

I have done it myself with my Chevy Spark and got same finish as rest of door trim.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd December 2020 at 12:27. Reason: Readability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks