Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 00:37   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Now coming to the issue I faced :

I was in 5th gear doing about 80 kms, spotted the hump so applied breaks, de clutched, shifted to 2nd and I released the clutch and the car jerked. I realized the car had stalled, I thought may be I did not engage the clutch properly and it stalled. Did not want that to happen again so next time the hump came I slowed down to about 35 -40 in 5th gear without de clutching then put it to neutral and went over the hump then engaged 1st/2nd gear and continued.
5th gear @ 80kmph coming down to 5-10 kmph in neutral and once you cross the speed breaker you shift to 1st/2nd! IMO is it the right way to do?

The speed breaker is visible from distance? If yes why not use engine braking rather than the brakes itself. All ancillaries will work at that time.

Rather than shifting to neutral (highly dangerous) and letting the car glide, downshift 5-4-3-2-1, go over the hump smoothly without letting the engine to die!

It is best to use 1st gear for speed breakers as the car pulls correctly from 5-10 kmph. I know diesel engine have good low end torque to compensate but not worth lugging it in second gear!

1st - 0 to 20
2nd - 20 to 35
3rd - 35 to 50
4th - 50 to 65
5th - 65 and above.

Try using this range for every gear and see how the car behaves!

NOTE: I am advocating that what I am following is the best procedure. It is just a suggestion.

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th January 2015 at 00:43.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 08:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Strange issue of my Fiesta Tdci: Engine stalls after de clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Now please help me understand what could be the issue :
Could this be an issue with the clutch or could this be because am not de clutching properly ? Has any ford owners faced this earlier ? How to get it fixed ? I do not know how to reproduce this problem if I take it to the service station . Please help !
I dont think its a clutch issue. It either is a fueling issue, or an issue as seen below. For rectifying the fueling issue,

Check:
1. Fuel Fileter
2. Bad Fuel.
3. Clogged/Blocked lines.

Also, since the Fiesta and the Figo has the same engine, check this out. I have a strong feeling both are related.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-ford-38.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ocks-move.html

Last edited by dhanushs : 19th January 2015 at 08:24.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 08:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Also, since the Fiesta and the Figo has the same engine, check this out. I have a strong feeling both are related.
Figo and Fiesta both have different maps; the one in Figo is bit more aggressive(pun not intended), while the fiesta's map didn't have any engine stalling issues.
Old 19th January 2015, 14:18   #34
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2015 at 16:51.
Grand Drive is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th January 2015, 22:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Rather than shifting to neutral (highly dangerous) and letting the car glide, downshift 5-4-3-2-1, go over the hump smoothly without letting the engine to die!
I tried the same, slowed down gradually from 5-4-3-2 and neutral and released the clutch, moved over the hump and then again 1st or 2nd based on how small the hump is. My idea was not to de clutch for a longer time but that did not help

The speeds and gear ratio is almost the same what am following but I completely agree with you on both the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I dont think its a clutch issue. It either is a fueling issue, or an issue as seen below. For rectifying the fueling issue,

Check:
1. Fuel Fileter
2. Bad Fuel.
3. Clogged/Blocked lines.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-ford-38.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ocks-move.html
Thanks for the pointers dhanushs, seems like a common issue with ford. Will go through the both the threads to take highlights of what could be the reason ,will take it to F.A.S.S and see what they do to fix it. Since this issue has already occurred am assuming F.A.S.S should be aware.

One more thing I observed today - the steering seems to be a little hard, is it related ?

Was wondering what makes the engine stall when you down shift when you brake and also de clutch when car is doing around 70-80 kmph? At slower speeds also I down shift in the city but it never stalls at that time.

Last edited by prguru : 19th January 2015 at 22:11. Reason: typo
Old 5th May 2016, 13:30   #36
BHPian

Re: Engine Stalling Problem

HI All
This is a problem being faced by my friend
He has a Santro Xing 2003 Petrol AT July make and odo shows 59000 KM , he is the single Driver barring 3000 - 4000 KM He only drive ..
Off late he is facing an issue of engine stopping randomly , he could not find a pattern when it stops , as it stopped when he slowing down , when he is going at normal speed , when going upward on a flyover , while coming downward from a flyover, with AC, without AC . and he is feeling a kind of jerky behavior at times ..
He made rounds to 3 Service centres of Hyundai in Bangalore , the Kalyan Nagar one , Mahadeva Pura one and the one near Ring road corner .. but not even once they could reproduce the problem so everytime they are checking the scanner saying some wiring loose connect , cranking sensor wiring is loose etc and tightening .. still problem is reoccuring ..
He is using car very sparingly because of this issue .. for a second opinion he took it to Mahindra First Choice centre in whitefield , atleast they are spending time in checking every part , they thoroughly checked the fuel pump/filter checked other fuses .. still they are facing the stopping issue in their test drives .. they said they will check the ECM part now
when engine stops he can change gear to neutral and crank , it immediately starts ..
What could be the reason for this problem and which other aspects to be checked .. could there be an issue with Transmission mechanism !!..

Last edited by ashbhat2 : 5th May 2016 at 13:36. Reason: missed one part
Old 10th May 2019, 06:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Our Xylo is having Engine Stalling Problem.
Might be due to water in Diesel.

I had got the Diesel Filter replaced with new one but the Water in Fuel Filter light is coming up. But it glows only if the vehicle is driven for minimum 5-10 Kms non-stop (city-highway does not matter). Also if I switch off the engine and start it again after few minutes the light does not glow for again 5-10 Kms.

I myself did not face this Engine Stalling Problem. But the driver says it is Stalling intermittently.

Should I get the Fuel Tank as well as Fuel line cleaned and fill fresh Diesel? What might be other causes?

Also the car is filled at Reliance Pump. Is it that the Reliance Diesel causing this problem?
Old 10th May 2019, 08:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Our Xylo is having Engine Stalling Problem.
Might be due to water in Diesel.
You can get the complete fuel line checked. I had similar problem in my Xing last week. Hyundai checked everything-from fuel tank to fuel pump and filter to injectors. At last we found some blockage in 4th cylinder injector. Problem solved!
SamitMukherjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 09:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Help Needed - Ford Escape Switches Off

Friend of mine is experiencing intermittent engine shutoff issue & would like to know if the problem has an expensive solution or something can be troubleshot further

Car - 2010 Ford Escape 2.4 Liter Petrol
ODO - 160K
Last serviced - 6000 Km ago

Problem - The vehicle stops for no reason mostly after filling the fuel across any pump in Canada. Mostly twice, when the engine is running slowed down, it never happened when the vehicle is moving fast except for the very first time when it occurred.

The vehicle stops exhibiting like an engine misfired. But when started again, engine starts without a fuss, as if starting from rest. After it has stopped like 2-3 times, the vehicle never stops even when driven slow

Last month was the first time he experienced this when he drove to Montreal, 1200+ Km round trip, when the vehicle stopped bang on the highway after a full tank, but when he cranked, the vehicle started & kept going. Now a days he's experiencing this even with any amount of refuel, no matter full tank or partial fill.

OBD scanner result says...
Engine Stalling Problem-fc85d0dfee084ef99209d40b6bffec85.jpg

Engine Stalling Problem-c22e55c5f4fa4c3d94768b9e3d43e80d.jpg

Engine Stalling Problem-bec30caf0b174b94a06cf4f030cc9bba.jpg

Engine Stalling Problem-67dca707b91944459cb8cc91fad22521.jpg

Question -
1. What could be the problem?
2. Anything that we can troubleshoot by looking specifically like fuel injector, air filter, fuel pump cleaning?
3. Is this a serious issue that needs immediate attention or can be managed with some juggad until next service?

Thanks for any help & direction

Last edited by aargee : 24th November 2019 at 09:37.
Old 13th June 2022, 10:31   #40
BHPian

Ford Fiesta: Engine shuts down when braking, but not when coasting to a stop

I have a peculiar problem;

When I am driving say at 1500 rpm and above and need to decelerate to idle rpm of 900, I press my brake first and then the clutch at say 1000 rpm. The engine shuts off. I really don't know why and if I let it normally come below 1000 or idle rpm and press clutch it won't switch off. I feel it is a code fault or some electrical fault. I can feel when the engine comes to idle speed it wont switch off, but rapid deceleration not with braking but with clutch it shuts off.

Help me please

Shanks
Mysore

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th June 2022 at 10:55. Reason: edited
myshanks is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed