Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 08:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Should I "EGR Delete" my Safari?. Need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It does. It is the modern day variant of snake oil.

You can’t judge oil, or any additive, by feel. The only way is an extensive comparison test. Several identical engines. Take the apart, measure everything, put them back together.
Jeroen
I have been using mineral oil or company recommended oil in my vehicles from day 1. If I wish to switch to synthetic oil and notice the disadvantages/advantages, you are saying that I should strip my engine twice to properly measure/asses the difference?

So should the same logic be applied when discussing about additives?

I am not an engineer and can judge the change in performance ONLY by "feel". And regardless of our talent as drivers/riders, the time and kilometers we cover in our vehicles, would increase our competency in judging performance of that particular vehicle. Even without Tyre pressure monitoring system, a competent driver can 'feel' whether his tyres have comparatively less or more air than before. In my Alto 800, a oil change dramatically smoothens the drive and it gets harsher as it approaches the 10,000 km mark, and I could judge that only by it's sound, vibration, acceleration - all of which add up to be the 'feel' of the car.

We trust Castrol, Shell, Gulf and other brands to have done their research so that we won't have to. This can be applied to their additives as well. I trust the guy who created this additive to have done his research in his lab, and saw it and 'felt' the difference on my friend's bike & car. So bought them myself to try on mine. (will post videos shortly)

And yes, I agree to the the human psychology part for 'the need to be right about your purchase decision' being always there. But don't we prefer to be objective when sharing our opinion? all the more, because this community is more about being honest when it comes to all things on wheels. But, As you said, to each his own.

I owned a Safari 2003 model and do realize how much work it is to run behind Tata to keep my car in top condition. If this additive could bring back the performance that my car used to have, without side-effects, I would definitely try it. (provided, I trust the product ofcourse)
Old 16th November 2020, 09:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Depends on just which oil you are using. What "mineral oil or recommended oil" would this be? What grade, what brand / make etc?

As others here said, some of the claims on that additive are far fetched. And in general most additives that are added to your engine oil separately tend to be useless.

Remember, the oil you use will already have a substantial additive package in it, even for the cheaper brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
I have been using mineral oil or company recommended oil in my vehicles from day 1. If I wish to switch to synthetic oil and notice the disadvantages/advantages, you are saying that I should strip my engine twice to properly measure/asses the difference?

So should the same logic be applied when discussing about additives?

Last edited by Eddy : 16th November 2020 at 14:58. Reason: Shortening the quoted portion for better readability
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:46   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I owned a Safari 2003 model and do realize how much work it is to run behind Tata to keep my car in top condition. If this additive could bring back the performance that my car used to have, without side-effects, I would definitely try it. (provided, I trust the product ofcourse)
Look at it this way, a vehicle is supposed to run well - like new with standard scheduled maintenance unless something is broken and needs to be fixed.

So if your vehicle is not running well , diagnose and fix the problem. Oil additives , fuel additives etc are not a fix.

If your engine runs rough on company supplied engine oil (which is how you used to drive your vehicle) , there is something broken and needs to be fixed. Maybe your EGR is clogged, maybe your MAF sensor is dirty, could be anything and instead you blame the poor engine oil and change it to synthetic ( I wonder what it is) and expect that to magically fix the problem.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Look at it this way, a vehicle is supposed to run well - like new with standard scheduled maintenance unless something is broken and needs to be fixed.
Very true. totally agree with you.

Quote:
So if your vehicle is not running well , diagnose and fix the problem. Oil additives , fuel additives etc are not a fix.
Again true. I never claimed otherwise in my suggestions. I simply said it will make the engine run smooth, which is based on my experience.

Quote:
If your engine runs rough on company supplied engine oil (which is how you used to drive your vehicle) , there is something broken and needs to be fixed. Maybe your EGR is clogged, maybe your MAF sensor is dirty, could be anything and instead you blame the poor engine oil and change it to synthetic ( I wonder what it is) and expect that to magically fix the problem.
This is where you got me wrong, I never blamed anyone or anything - I just quoted the part where 'additive' was discussed and suggested an additive that I have bought. All other conclusions are your derivations . I shall voluntarily stop adding fuel or 'additive' to the fire .
Old 16th November 2020, 14:48   #20
BHPian

Re: Should I "EGR Delete" my car?

I have dieseltronic (on my Thar and Figo) which tends to choke EGR and PCV. I clean EGR and positive crank case breather every 15k on Figo and 10k on Thar. Which brings it back to normal.
Old 16th November 2020, 15:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you switch to synthetic and notice anything feel free to do anything you like.
Engine wear is measured in thousands of mm and it takes many tens of thousands of kilometers to show anything that can be measured. (unless you put an oil in of an incorrect specification).

The most noticeable affect you can measure after changing to synthetic, on a car that has run on mineral, for a considerable time, is the oil filter fouling up quicker. You would have to open up the filter (Check my thread on fiddling with cars, I usually cut open the oil filters to check)

You could also notice the inside of the engine being a little more cleaner, but again you would need to open it up.

Quote:
Even without Tyre pressure monitoring system, a competent driver can 'feel' whether his tyres have comparatively less or more air than before.
Yes, something like tyre pressure can be felt by some. Although on modern cars, in normal day to day use, it might be very difficult to tell if one tyre is a few tenths of bar off. It is one of the reason tyre pressure monitors are being installed. They tend to trip at less than 0,15-0,2 bar. Why? Because 99,999999% of drivers doesn’t notice a small pressure difference.

Quote:
In my Alto 800, a oil change dramatically smoothens the drive and it gets harsher as it approaches the 10,000 km mark, and I could judge that only by it's sound, vibration, acceleration - all of which add up to be the 'feel' of the car.
Engine oil has two primary task, lubrication and cooling. As long as you stick to the correct specification of an oil, it does not matter (much) what you put in.

The notion that “old” oil would create so much friction that you would be able to feel it, is as far as I am concerned beyond believe. If there was so much friction that it would affect the engine performance it would quite literally do considerable damage in a relative short space of time.

If you can actually feel the engine performance degrading due to the oil being at its end of its life, you have waited far too long and considerable damage would already have been done to your engine.

Engine wear is a continuous, but very, very gradual process. With an engine properly maintained, engines run easily over 150K km without any problems or access oil consumption.

Just enjoy your car, stick to the recommended service intervals, a little bit more frequent, if you find yourself in very dusty or continuous city driving.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Bringing the engine back into good shape and making the car feel good is what I want to do.
I had a few things I listed out. Here are those that pertain to the engine. Need advice.
I really appreciate your enthusiasm, bonding and commitment towards your vehicle.

Firstly, The discussion on the quality of oils / service intervals / mindset is not going to solve any of your issues. You need a precise direction!

Take your car to a FNG or at an authorised service centre. Explain all the issues, desired outcome and request for an estimate. Save your time, money and efforts!

Once you have it and still you are not able to make a decision, then the experts on the forum are always there to guide you in the correct direction.

As the wise men say, Do not try to kill an ant with an axe in the dark room just because you feel that there is an elephant in the dark room.
Old 17th November 2020, 22:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think many here are against the idea of an EGR delete but then why do some BMW 530d owners do the EGR delete on their vehicles ? Won't it harm their engines too ?
Old 18th November 2020, 08:26   #24
BHPian

EGR delete will extend engine life. It will prevent all that soot from getting back in through the intake and messing up the insides. This is being done reliably on simpler engines like the DI motor that comes in Roxor. It involves removal of the entire EGR assy and ports blocked off, along with ECU tune change to prevent CEL. It's a quite straightforward DIY job. But I'm not sure how it could be for complicated new age motors. Oh, and the whole thing is illegal everywhere. Not that much life is left for mainstream IC engines anyway.
Old 18th November 2020, 08:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
EGR delete will extend engine life. It will prevent all that soot from getting back in through the intake and messing up the insides. This is being done reliably on simpler engines like the DI motor that comes in Roxor. It involves removal of the entire EGR assy and ports blocked off, along with ECU tune change to prevent CEL. It's a quite straightforward DIY job. But I'm not sure how it could be for complicated new age motors. Oh, and the whole thing is illegal everywhere. Not that much life is left for mainstream IC engines anyway.
Eh what. Tomorrow, let us see what can be done with removing a liver from a human being and then implanting a brain chip to prevent pain from being felt. Does that lead to a healthier human?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 09:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Eh what. Tomorrow, let us see what can be done with removing a liver from a human being and then implanting a brain chip to prevent pain from being felt. Does that lead to a healthier human?
Sir I ran the car for a day with the egr blocked and the coolant temp needle was at dead centre no matter the load. Just like it was before the blocking. The liver is essential. EGR, I don't think so.

Except for the emissions, I don't think there is anything that changes. The BOV for the turbo is still there separately. The argument that the egr acts as the BOV might be valid when the car doesn't have a dedicated BOV.

But the temps were all the same, and the fan also wasn't kicking in at all.
And the engine felt noticeably sprightlier. I did not measure the mileage though.

I removed the blockage and now my egr is working normally. I got a check engine light but my car didn't go into LIMP mode. I do not have an OBD tool, so I am not happy with a check engine light. It could be anything. So I just cleaned the egr and put it back. The car pulls like nothing else. It reaches unmentionable speeds in really short stretches. I was just paranoid about the engine noise. But that's just how diesels are. IDK if I will block it again, but if I do, I will do it once I have an OBD tool and proper statistics with regard to the mileage and performance so that I have proper statistics instead of just a feel that the car is going faster.

Dear members, thank you for your inputs I learnt a lot. I will reply to all posts here in a bit, I had another post planned with pictures on how I blocked the EGR myself.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Sir I ran the car for a day with the egr blocked and the coolant temp needle was at dead centre no matter the load. Just like it was before the blocking. The liver is essential. EGR, I don't think so.
A perspective in here, 'You' being all of us.

Your vehicle came off the factory assembly line fully tested and promised to perform at its peak performance with EGR already in place. You took delivery of the vehicle and felt that it has adequate power and performance with EGR already in place.

Years later you think the vehicle`s performance has reduced and you want EGR delete to restore its performance, you think that is the right thought process?

It is possible that EGR is not working as designed due to some other fault or could be something else altogether - whatever - a diagnosis is pending, do not fix things before finding out what is wrong, that is in essence what I am trying to convey.

Regarding your observation of the coolant temp gauge, its fine that your coolant is not boiling over however that does not tell you if your EGT is high, which will damage the Pistons , Turbo among many other things eventually and reduce the life of the engine.
Old 18th November 2020, 12:09   #28
BHPian

I have on my sx4 DDIS disabled the EGR, what i have noticed is its less noisy.Another reason for doing so was the trouble it takes to clean the EGR and incase you slip the threads on the block which happens often you tend to get a whistle kind of sound.

Post the EGR being disabled, in some kilometres i removed the intake manifold and the amount of crap that came out was like crazy.Intake manifold was filled with soot and carbon and ports very narrow.It took about three pressure washes after scraping out the carbon and washing it in petrol.

So yes with my own experience i can definitely say the EGR throws a lot of soot and carbon back in to the engine.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 13:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A description of reality, that. The illegality of the whole affair was mentioned as well.

EGR serves a genuine purpose, which is to reduce certain kinds of pollutants in emissions. This cannot be denied. It's a recent development due to necessity. The way it works dirties up the engine internals much faster. This can't be denied either. The trade-off is visible.

An EGR removed engine will be healthier, but dirtier too. A liver-chip analogy won't stick here.
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 03:14   #30

Quote:
Have you heard about nano lube? This has made many engines butter smooth. Recommended to be used with manufacture recommended engine oil.

My friends had successful results with toyota corolla, tata indica, mahindra verito, re thunderbird, Honda activa etc. So apt for both diesel and petrol engines.

I have bought 200 ml for my Alto, xpulse and rx 100. (Yet to be used).

+919496824473 - Firoz is the inventor. Can order through phone and he'll courier the product to your address. Not available anywhere else. Disclaimer - this is not a paid promotion

400% friction reduction - 100% reduction is no friction, what would the rest 300% do?

Up to 70% oil temperature reduction - nominal engine oil temperature is around 195 to 200 degrees, which is optimum for engine operations, a reduction of 70% would mean the oil temperature falls by 140 degrees to 60 degrees, which isn't ideal engine running temperature.

Stops engine wear - wear and tear in any hot and busy machine like an engine is inevitable, how would you substantiate this claim based on physics?

Reduces 50% emissions - Have you verified this personally? Companies with billions of research funds are still relying on expensive metals like platinum, palladium, and rhodium, this would be a milestone!

Increases compression - Does it mean an increase in compression ratio? Messing with compression ratio isn't good for the engine, that's a tightly designed spec. Also, how an additive possibly affect compression, could you explain it by physics?

Significantly increases smoothness - That's a subjective quality, so nothing much to dispute.

Up to 300% longer drain intervals - So if the current drain interval is 10k, one can wait up to 30k between drains?

Protect engine components - Well...

Preserves engine oil chemistry - engine oil manufacturers are already putting enough research into it, and in normal working conditions, its chemical properties don't change.

In short, all this company does is make some tall claims about the product, without substantiating anything. I say snake oil all over again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks